Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
passivegirl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default FFR Ranking Question

Sooo! Starting two days ago I've been trying to actually AAA songs/up my level rank. Everything has been working out fine so far, but there has been oneeee little thing that's been bugging me. Basically, whenever I make one little mistake on a song, even if it's something like getting an all-perfect FC but 1 boo, my rank flies into the thousands. That's leading me to believe the FFR ranking system isn't as I thought it was, i.e., instead of it being ranked on the actual score, it's ranked by... the amount of people that have AAAd it <_<;;. Ok, I suck at explaining things, so I'll post an SS here of what I mean.

An AAA on Ball of Malt would be a score of 666,500. But with my score of 1/0/0/0 on this Ball of Malt song, I got a 666,225. So in a perfect world, based on my score, I would be rank 3 or something, yes? Since the only scores above mine were 666,500 and 666,480. But if you look at the image, because 176 people have AAA'd it and 9 people have... done something strange to it, my rank is stuck below to a low 186. Why is it like this?

So I'm drawing that it's based on not score, but the amount of people that scored above you, even if they all got identical scores? And that explains why every time I make a trivial slip on any lowish difficulty song, I wind up with rank 12k? Rofl, someone please verify this for me. It's a weird ranking system to me, that's all.
passivegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Beethovens mask
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Ranking Question

AAA's are the highest score possible on a song. The ranks with the most amount of points possible are all stacked together, even if a person is 166 on the rankings, they still have rank 1 on the song.

So for easy songs, you have to triple A or your rank will suck, because so many people with triple A's on that song are stacked together.

Hope that makes sense at all!
Beethovens mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Jtehanonymous
Hunger Games Hunty
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Jtehanonymous

You are exactly right. Ranking is based on the amount of scores ahead of you that are better.

It's....always been like this.

I buy all FFR Trading Cards I don't own:
See My FFR TCG Binder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman7772 View Post
Jtehanonymous

You have completed the Lucky Achievement and will be awarded 25k credits.

seriously what the fuck.
Jtehanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
passivegirl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Well uhm, to me that kind of is weird. Shouldn't it be like... all the billion people that AAA'd the song should ALL TOGETHER hold Rank 1? Otherwise it's not really as score-based as it should be. Just soooo weird to me!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

They are all rank one, but everyone behind them is ranked according to how many people are ahead of them,
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by passivegirl View Post
Shouldn't it be like... all the billion people that AAA'd the song should ALL TOGETHER hold Rank 1?
If you have the highest possible score, you're ranked 1 because no one is above you score wise. If two people tie for rank 1, and a third person has the highest score closest to the rank 1 score, they have a rank of 3 because two people are above that given score.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
passivegirl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I don't think anyone understands my point ;o;. I'm just saying to say that instead of it being about the number of people that got a score better than you, ranks should be just cleanly score-based. So instead of me being screwed over by 185 people scoring above me and me dealing with a low score of 186, it should be like... 176 people got 666,500--they all have rank 1, 9 people got 666,480--they all have rank 2, and x amount of people got 666,225--they all hold rank 3. Does that make sense?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR

Yes it makes sense, but it's not going to happen. Just go AAA the song xD
Old 07-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
LoneW0lf
ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ Bears ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by passivegirl View Post
I don't think anyone understands my point ;o;. I'm just saying to say that instead of it being about the number of people that got a score better than you, ranks should be just cleanly score-based. So instead of me being screwed over by 185 people scoring above me and me dealing with a low score of 186, it should be like... 176 people got 666,500--they all have rank 1, 9 people got 666,480--they all have rank 2, and x amount of people got 666,225--they all hold rank 3. Does that make sense?
But then everyone with dumb BF's and stuff would have wayyyyyyyyy better ranks.
Meaning a lot of people would have better ranks, so i think this system is fine :/
Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't work that way...and not just for FFR, any ranking system is like that.

Kekeb's post explains it best.

If one person has 10,000 points, another with 7,500, and another with 5,000, they would be ranked first, second, and third, respectively. However, if second place improves their score to 10,000, third place remains as third place, because it isn't score-based...it's how many people have done better than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

That system would make far less sense IMO, and cause ranks for easier songs to skyrocket while hard songs would be unchanged.

Current system is fine I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #12
passivegirl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hehehe, ok fine! My dreams of start a ranking revolution are dead D: Oh well, back to making 1 good on old songs and getting ranks of 20k, then!

Btw, thank you all for offering insight on this. Talk about fast response
Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

Look at sports, as an example... If two players each have 10 home runs, and nobody else has more... they're both 1st in baseball with 10 home runs. But then 3 other guys all have 9. They aren't 2nd in the league, since you already have 2 guys with 10. There's no way for someone to be 2nd with 9 when there are 2 with 10. It would defy logic and math.

They're ranked as 3rd, all of them. Then anyone with 8 would be ranked 6th, since there are 2 with 10 and 3 with 9. 5 people in front of them, so they are 6th.

I've never seem a ranking system that ignores the weight of number of people tied for a given value. The closest I've seen is multiple people with an equal value NOT all being tied. Instead, they're ranked by another value... such as time. Going back to the baseball analogy, the 1st person to reach 10 would be 1st, the 2nd person to reach 10 would be 2nd, the 1st person to reach 9 of the 3 tied at 9 would be 3rd, the 2nd would be 4th, and the 3rd would be 5th. Aka, there is no ties, even though they have the same value. This system penalizes some people who are tied, but has no effect on lower values with respect to higher values. To me, this system is also dumb, unless time plays a factor in the ranking, and then it's ok (such as a Strongman Competition... # of leg squats at 700 lbs... if 2 people are tied, the fastest to reach that number would be the higher ranked).

Does that make sense?

edit: and don't go throwing hyperbole all over the place.... 1 good is not rank 20,000 on ANY song. . Although many songs will get you a rank in the mid or high hundreds for 1 good.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
passivegirl
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hehehe, yes, yes, it makes sense. I understand now, Tass! It was just confusing at first, but after this forum I'm more at ease with the ranking system. And hmph, hyperboles are my friend! Thanks though for the in-depth response; I'm officially back to thinking FFR is the best thing in the world. xD
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM   #15
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Bluearrowll Send a message via MSN to Bluearrowll

Wow everything was explained before I saw this thread o.o

Though actually a blackflag on Excite Bike is like 4K. But that shouldn't be too hard to do, right?
5th in Phynx's Unofficial FFR Tournament
9th in D3 of the 2008-2009 4th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D5 of the 2010 5th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D6 of the 2011-2012 6th Official FFR Tournament

FMO AAA Count: 71
FGO AAA Count: 10

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
PS: Cool AAA's Terry
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Bluearrowll is offline   Reply With Quote