Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Hateandhatred
"The Quebec Steparatist."
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Car dilemma! Help?

Sup doods (and dooderines).

So some of you are aware of the AN 2013 events concerning my Hatemobile, essentially rip car ded rip ded ded car rip ded ded car rip.

So I've been looking for a car forever since and I finally found an absolutely perfect match. However the guy wasn't sure if he was gonna sell it in the end, but promised to text me by Sunday and let me know his decision.

Then today my uncle called (he works for Toyota Sherbrooke as a car seller) and says he got a deal for me. The car is an extremely good deal too, but in my book not as great as the first one given that I sort of shoot for a higher end car. However, he needs my decision by Friday night at worse. I've already texted the first guy kindly asking him to let me know before Saturday.

What do? Naturally I have to come on FFR and ask my great and wise fellow keyboard ninjas and vikings that you all are.

Here are the cars for curiosity purposes:

First car:

Quote:
- 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0L w/ turbo, 122 000km (it's a Swedish import, not a GM built so no lemon car hehu).

- Fully equipped, not a scratch on it.

- Only had synthetic oil and highest quality fuel.

- Fully equipped (except the phone panel which doesn't work in North America anyway because it's from Sweden), which means it has individual A/C for each seats which also possess electrical seat heaters, has a built-in GPS and meteorological reader, among other interesting goodies.

- Comes with additional original paint supply (worth 1500$), an additional set of tires (winter tires) and an high end stereo system that the seller bought separately in the past.

- Car will be inspected by professionals before purchase.

- Will sell at 5000$.
Second car:

Quote:
- 2004 Honda Civic Si, 125 000km.

- Is also fully equipped, but obviously doesn't have any of the luxury options listed above.

- Not only it has been inspected, but comes with a warranty worth 2 years (sick for an used car). It also doesn't have a single scratch.

- Comes with an additional set of high end winter tires (worth 1000$).

- Will sell at 3000$.
Both of these hardly have any cons, the Saab is slightly more expensive but the parts (in case of an eventual breakdown) are far more expensive than anything on the Civic (although he knows a non-official Saab parts dealer who used to work for them who could provide me with parts at a low price), and other than that the car is absolutely flawless, but is essentially twice the price of the other car when we add taxes and insurance. The Civic is a cheaper vehicle known for reliability and parts fly all over the place over here so parts replacement isn't anywhere near a concern, however I'm not a big fan of the Civic, I was actually aiming at something like an Accord, and, minor details, it's light grey and I think that's pretty damn gay. Also the back seats lack height for taller people.

But car comparison isn't really my concern. The thing is, if the guy doesn't text me back by tomorrow night, I'll have to take a decision by myself. Either buy the less interesting car that is at least a sure-fire decision, even though I will definitely really regret if the guy confirms that I can buy his Saab, or I tell my uncle to pass on the Civic and sell it at the normal price, risking that the other dude tells me "oh sorry, I can't sell it after all", and ending up with nothing, passing on 2 great deals that I haven't seen around here much at all. Also, I need a car before mid August so I can't really wait so much still.

Also for precision, the reason the first guy cannot sell me his car is quite an interesting story. He's this old (not really but mid-forties)) and rich guy from Old Quebec City (like anyone affording their stupidly high priced appartment rents), already owns a 2013 Mercedes-Benz (not sure of the model but really) and a 2011 Porsche Carrera (sort of, actually is his girlfriend's). He just wants a side car (hence the Saab) for random and non-professional drives and stuff. He wanted to buy a MINI Cooper so he wanted to sell the Saab, but the MINI deal slipped off his hands, so he's not sure if he still wants to sell the Saab. However we still agreed to show me his vehicle and stuff, and after cruising around he told me he'd check around for something else to buy and if he found anything he'd let me buy it, or maybe he'd decide to sell it to me anyway since I showed so much interest in it and since, well, he has 2 other cars.

What should I do?? =/ I'd love to have input on this one.

Last edited by Hateandhatred; 07-25-2013 at 11:45 AM..
Hateandhatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Car dilemma! Help?

I'd gamble on the Saab just because I'm not much of a civic fan either lol. Also the 9-3 is sick and that's a dope deal
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I would go with the Saab if I were in your position
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Banned
FFR Veteran

saab is this a real question
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Hateandhatred

Lol thanks a lot guys but please remember the question isn't about which car to pick (obvious rofl) but either to gamble or not if the guy cannot confirm that he'll sell it to me before my uncle's offer's deadline.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Poison-
Nope
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm not sure if I'd gamble on the guy selling it to you though. Just because to me it sounds like he won't end up selling it (I hope that isn't actually the case)
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

I'd go with the Civic because I have never seen a Saab in my life and because Hondas are reliable as fuk. I've owned plenty and just bought a 2013 Honda Civic
Old 07-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Hateandhatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thhour View Post
I'd go with the Civic because I have never seen a Saab in my life and because Hondas are reliable as fuk. I've owned plenty and just bought a 2013 Honda Civic
Just assume Saab = Volvo

Sort of. They're like the Honda-Toyota of Swedish cars. (I mean, similar relationship between the brands)
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateandhatred View Post
Just assume Saab = Volvo

Sort of. They're like the Honda-Toyota of Swedish cars. (I mean, similar relationship between the brands)
btw I can't believe how cheap cars are in Quebec.... Wow. an 04 Civic here runs like 5-6 grand,
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Hateandhatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25thhour View Post
btw I can't believe how cheap cars are in Quebec.... Wow. an 04 Civic here runs like 5-6 grand,
Hence why I say those two are exceptional deals. =P
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

the fuck, saab
Old 07-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Jimmymi1
Forum User

Honda Civic is top AAAAA on j7 quality
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

Fuck the choices altogether. Get the Saab, if he doesn't want to sell it, then now really isn't the right time to get a car.

At least that's what I would do
TTC ftw

EDIT: unless you like driving around in a shitbox, get the civic. But since sportcar is at mind,
get the Saab.

- Tosh 2014

gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

I would go with the safe pick and choose the Civic if you definitely need a car soon

I guess? (based on everyone's reactions here) that I would go with the Saab if getting a car really soon isn't urgent, so that if the guy backs out, you have plenty of time to look around

good luck dude. also rip Hatemobile.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Hey, you never told me about the Honda Civic! As some have already suggested, if you want to play it safe, the Honda is a good choice. I'm basing that off of the reliability and reputation of Japanese cars. However, I can't comment much on the Saab. If you feel you can get used to the European sport car style, then go ahead. Consider the mileage each car gives.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
I would go with the Saab if getting a car really soon isn't urgent, so that if the guy backs out, you have plenty of time to look around.
dis^

04 Si's look like ass, but looks like a safe bet. Personally I'd go with the Saab cause it's a more interesting car
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
PaperclipGames
Mrow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to PaperclipGames Send a message via Skype™ to PaperclipGames

It depends on how bad you need a car. If it's pretty important, I'd take the Civic deal; however, if you don't truly need a car soon, I'd take the gamble and go for the Saab.

Both deals seem pretty damn good to me, but yeah, if you decide to gamble but it goes wrong, you'll end up empty-handed. And it depends on how bad walking away empty-handed is, i.e. how badly you need a car.

948 AAAs | 1461 FCs | 549 TPs | 7 FMO AAAs
Skype: paperclipgames | Steam: alegiano | Last.fm: Alegiano | Ask.fm: Clippysan | Facebook: LINK
Best AAAs: Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star (69), Nous (69), Pure Ruby (68), Heavenly Spores (68), Ambient Angels (66), Within Life (66), Defection (66) Southern Cross (65)
PaperclipGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Izzy
Snek

Do either of them have an auxiliary audio port? I hate that my car doesn't have one and I can't hook up an mp3 player. Burning cd's is such a chore and you can only fit like 20 songs.

Replacing the stereo is too expensive.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Do either of them have an auxiliary audio port? I hate that my car doesn't have one and I can't hook up an mp3 player. Burning cd's is such a chore and you can only fit like 20 songs.
that's a pretty trivial point in the grand scheme of things

that said, I agree x5000
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #20
Banned
FFR Veteran

you can always get a radio with an aux port installed or if you're handy you can figure out how to do it yourself
top is offline   Reply With Quote