Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Default Television Advice

For starters, this went into the VidGames forum because the advice and opinions I need will be almost completely determined by video games and a couple other multimedia options.

My parents bought a 55" Samsung LED tv, the 240Hz one that has the bloody brilliant truemotion video appeal. Absolutely love the TV. Like insanely mind-blowing. Now people say this TV is bad for gaming because it causes lag yet, even playing online FPS games on it I don't really experience that. So I dunno if this should be a factor in deciding on it or not.

Samsung 55" LED 3D TV
Sale - $2,200

Now my close buddy as well just bought a Samsung 58" Plasma TV with I think 600Hz truemotion video, or something very similar. Comparing the two they seem extremely alike though this TV doesn't have the 3D capability, which is going to be nice because I love 3D movies even with the glasses and would definitely invest in 3D blu-rays over just normal blu-rays if I had the technology.

Samsung 58" Plasma TV
Sale - $1,200

I realize this is a thousand dollars difference but all I've ever read is that LED's are superior in quality due to the fact that they don't have burn-ins, seem to have crisper colors and are more efficient for power consumption and all that. I might be very very wrong on anything I'm saying so please help me, I'm not up to speed on a lot of new TV tech so if there's advantages that the plasma has that tromp the LED, let me know for sure.

This whole thing I am trying to decide on because I want to get one of these TV's due to the christmas sales going on and I want the best TV for the money and gaming features. I want that TV that makes you feel more IN the game rather than playing it. Plus I like having that "cinema" feel to the movies I watch so the bigger TV's are awesome for my preferences.

tl;dr - Which TV do I get from these two?

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Television Advice

Personally I'd get the plasma and just be careful about not leaving it on. The burn in problem is a lot better then it used to but really there is no reason to having your tv on for 10 hours a day so it probably wont be much of a problem anyway.

Is 3D tv really a big deal? Didn't know people liked that.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Personally I'd get the plasma and just be careful about not leaving it on. The burn in problem is a lot better then it used to but really there is no reason to having your tv on for 10 hours a day so it probably wont be much of a problem anyway.

Is 3D tv really a big deal? Didn't know people liked that.
Yeah I'd heard that plasmas have some new thing they do, like vibrate the image extremely fast or something, that prevents burn-ins. Didn't know if this was true or not. Also, yes, 3D is amazing and I am in love with it lol. It's not a deal breaker though, if I don't get it oh well, either TV will be amazing.

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
LoneW0lf
ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ Bears ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
FFR Veteran

I'd go with the plasma because I think 3-d is kinda dumb and a lot more expensive.

If you a monitor for serious gaming though, I'm pretty sure Acer is among the top of gaming monitors. But, those are usually 27"" or so.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

Another reason gaming monitors are usually smaller - it's easier to process information on a smaller screen because your eyes don't have to roam as much, which makes a difference if you're serious about FPS games and stuff. However, that's not really an issue since it seems like you're looking for a big TV. I honestly don't know if the $1,000 justifies the extra bells and whistles, but if you're going to invest in a good TV, you shouldn't go halfway.

http://www.youtube.com/esupin
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote