Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark
Default I won an iPad, and I'm pissed.

Ok, I won a 32GB iPad last night at my company's Christmas party, you'd think I'd be ecstatic over the prize, and I really was...before I started using it.

First off, I own a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate running on Android 2.2 OS, overclocked to 2ghz. I don't feel as though I'm biased, I've just been subjected to something BETTER than the iOS.

So anyway, I turn on the iPad out of the box, and I can't use it until I hook it up to itunes, which is gay. I go download it, sync it up and whatnot, yay I can do things. I try putting movies on it, won't work, itunes doesn't support anything of any sort of quality. I have to downgrade it to a shoddy version of h264. At least it plays smoothly once it's on there though. I try putting A ****ING JPG ON IT. Won't work. apparently you can't load single pictures into it, you have to import YOUR WHOLE GOD DAMN FOLDER OF PICTURES. Who's horrible idea was this? Really?

I find the iOS to be lacking in the intuitive department in some areas, such as back buttons, closing menus, and just general navigation issues. The fact that you can only pseudo multi-task is a big pain, my idea of multi-tasking is not simply being able to play music while you browse, that's stupid. Not being able to view flash is already the biggest pain ever. It makes the web browsing experience on the iPad clunky and less enjoyable.

tl;dr version: Android OS is much more intuitive and easier to navigate, and offers complete file freedom with a much larger array of supported formats. iOS blows ass.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator
Default Re: I won an iPad, and I'm pissed.

If you don't want it, I'll gladly accept it.
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Rubin0
FFR Player

If I had won an ipad I would have immediately gone on ebay and put it up for auction.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

Yeah, it does suck o.o I remember when i was so excited to get an ipod nano 5th gen, and when i got it i couldn't even figure out how to put songs on it. And pictures always have to be the whole folder. Was it worth it? Eh, i think cheaper mp3 players could be better.
BethanyBangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Sprite-
HAVE ME WITH VODKA
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

sucks to be you
Sprite- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I would have never opened it and sold it immediately. Apple really likes to think that they know what you want in a computer. They have no idea how to use a computer themselves tough so it doesn't work to well.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #7
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubin0 View Post
If I had won an ipad I would have immediately gone on ebay and put it up for auction.
This. A million times this.
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

I might still do that.

I really don't have any idea how much I'll actually use this thing. Might be good for like.....well I can't think of anything it would be good for right now.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

Damn, Shayne. What kernel are you using that allows you to OC at 2.0? I have an EVO OC'd at 1.6GHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
DotKritic
Forum User

Quote:
This.

They go for $500 minimum. That's some nice Christmas money.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
zadkiel91
IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZOR!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
This!!! Best option imho
zadkiel91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

@Razor: I run it at 1.6ghz as well, phone gets smoking hot when you OMAPclock it up to 2.0ghz

I don't really need the money, which is why I didn't just hop on the eBay bandwagon in the first place. I'm glad I got to experience how horrible the iOS is first hand though, so I can laugh at all the Apple fanboys just a little bit harder.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #13
Starshot
/DJS\
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Starshot Send a message via MSN to Starshot Send a message via Yahoo to Starshot

As a person who uses the iOS all the damn time, allow me to help a bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
I try putting movies on it, won't work, itunes doesn't support anything of any sort of quality. I have to downgrade it to a shoddy version of h264.
Use the VLC App. It's great and plays every format known to man, even on the iOS. There are DOZENS of alternative apps from the stock stuff they give you on the ipad. Google Books, VLC, notepad apps, you name it. Just look around and you'll easily replace the default stuff.

Quote:
At least it plays smoothly once it's on there though. I try putting A ****ING JPG ON IT. Won't work. apparently you can't load single pictures into it, you have to import YOUR WHOLE GOD DAMN FOLDER OF PICTURES. Who's horrible idea was this? Really?
You can set which specific sync folder of pictures you want to go on your ipad. It's relatively easy to do.

Quote:
The fact that you can only pseudo multi-task is a big pain, my idea of multi-tasking is not simply being able to play music while you browse, that's stupid.
Double tap the home button to access the multitask panel. You can switch between apps with ease.

Yes, I acknowledge the fact that the iOS still can't run flash, but after the 4.0 patch, everything is a hell of a lot stabler then it used to be.

Also: http://vimeo.com/5582626

Last edited by Starshot; 12-17-2010 at 05:01 PM..
Starshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
DotKritic
Forum User

Does it still look new? If you can wipe it clean of images, music, videos, etc., you can probably still get $300-$400 for it.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

No native flash support is truly the biggest downfall of the Apple products. The fact that they won't allow for support is ludicrous.

Also, with Apple products, the fact that you have to sync them all to iTunes makes them even less desirable! FFS guys, let us just open it and use it god damn.

And another things, like you mentioned. There's no native support for IIRC, 50%ish of file formats we all use today. Apple wants to see these formats be changed into something Apple uses and won't allow it any other way.

Of course, there's cracks and unofficial patches you can apply to the iOS to make these things work natively and some are still in betaworks(flash support) but most of them are buggy and will hinder more than help.

The only real thing I like about Apples touchscreen products are the screens themselves. They are magnificent; no screen is able to compare. They make for very fluid looking animations and the multi-touch screen is VERY responsive and accurate, I would absolutely die if we could have droid devices with the Apple screens. OMG.

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

lol how everyone hates Apple.
Sell that piece of junk.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Doubletapping the home button does nothing o____o

I'll definitely get the VLC app, if it does what you say it does. However, how would I got about even putting, say, an MKV file onto it, how the **** do I get it on there? iTunes is just like LOL SRY U CANT PUT THAT ON HERE.

Of course the iPad still looks brand new, I got it yesterday ffs.

and Phynx, get a Galaxy S, they use capacitive touchscreens like the iphone as well, instead of those crappy resistive ones, not to mention uses an OLED display covered in scratch/shatterproof gorilla glass ;D
Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Doubletapping the home button does nothing o____o

I'll definitely get the VLC app, if it does what you say it does. However, how would I got about even putting, say, an MKV file onto it, how the **** do I get it on there? iTunes is just like LOL SRY U CANT PUT THAT ON HERE.

Of course the iPad still looks brand new, I got it yesterday ffs.

and Phynx, get a Galaxy S, they use capacitive touchscreens like the iphone as well, instead of those crappy resistive ones, not to mention uses an OLED display covered in scratch/shatterproof gorilla glass ;D
Oh but I hold in my hand a Droid Incredible! In fact, it's the reason why I have internet at all anymore Tethering FTW. I want an Evo 4G for Verizon ;_;

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
00Razor00
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to 00Razor00 Send a message via Skype™ to 00Razor00

Quote:
I thought Galaxy S phones used Super AMOLED screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
hey buddy are you looking for a good song to step because if so i really recommend you step In Front Of A Bus
00Razor00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

That's what I just said.

Super AMOLED. The super am part just means they liquefied and dissolved the touch sensor film directly onto the screen's surface instead of having to put another layer on top of the screen.