Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   I won an iPad, and I'm pissed. (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=116224)

darkshark 12-17-2010 04:25 PM

I won an iPad, and I'm pissed.

Ok, I won a 32GB iPad last night at my company's Christmas party, you'd think I'd be ecstatic over the prize, and I really was...before I started using it.

First off, I own a Samsung Galaxy S Captivate running on Android 2.2 OS, overclocked to 2ghz. I don't feel as though I'm biased, I've just been subjected to something BETTER than the iOS.

So anyway, I turn on the iPad out of the box, and I can't use it until I hook it up to itunes, which is gay. I go download it, sync it up and whatnot, yay I can do things. I try putting movies on it, won't work, itunes doesn't support anything of any sort of quality. I have to downgrade it to a shoddy version of h264. At least it plays smoothly once it's on there though. I try putting A ****ING JPG ON IT. Won't work. apparently you can't load single pictures into it, you have to import YOUR WHOLE GOD DAMN FOLDER OF PICTURES. Who's horrible idea was this? Really?

I find the iOS to be lacking in the intuitive department in some areas, such as back buttons, closing menus, and just general navigation issues. The fact that you can only pseudo multi-task is a big pain, my idea of multi-tasking is not simply being able to play music while you browse, that's stupid. Not being able to view flash is already the biggest pain ever. It makes the web browsing experience on the iPad clunky and less enjoyable.

tl;dr version: Android OS is much more intuitive and easier to navigate, and offers complete file freedom with a much larger array of supported formats. iOS blows ass.

HoneyMelonCalibrator 12-17-2010 04:27 PM

Re: I won an iPad, and I'm pissed.

If you don't want it, I'll gladly accept it. :-)

Rubin0 12-17-2010 04:27 PM

If I had won an ipad I would have immediately gone on ebay and put it up for auction.

BethanyBangs 12-17-2010 04:27 PM

Yeah, it does suck o.o I remember when i was so excited to get an ipod nano 5th gen, and when i got it i couldn't even figure out how to put songs on it. And pictures always have to be the whole folder. Was it worth it? Eh, i think cheaper mp3 players could be better.

Sprite- 12-17-2010 04:35 PM

sucks to be you

Izzy 12-17-2010 04:35 PM

I would have never opened it and sold it immediately. Apple really likes to think that they know what you want in a computer. They have no idea how to use a computer themselves tough so it doesn't work to well.

trumaestro 12-17-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubin0 (Post 3372455)
If I had won an ipad I would have immediately gone on ebay and put it up for auction.

This. A million times this.

darkshark 12-17-2010 04:41 PM

I might still do that.

I really don't have any idea how much I'll actually use this thing. Might be good for like.....well I can't think of anything it would be good for right now.

00Razor00 12-17-2010 04:44 PM

Damn, Shayne. What kernel are you using that allows you to OC at 2.0? I have an EVO OC'd at 1.6GHz. :(

DotKritic 12-17-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

This.

They go for $500 minimum. That's some nice Christmas money.

zadkiel91 12-17-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

This!!! Best option imho

darkshark 12-17-2010 04:57 PM

@Razor: I run it at 1.6ghz as well, phone gets smoking hot when you OMAPclock it up to 2.0ghz

I don't really need the money, which is why I didn't just hop on the eBay bandwagon in the first place. I'm glad I got to experience how horrible the iOS is first hand though, so I can laugh at all the Apple fanboys just a little bit harder.

Starshot 12-17-2010 04:57 PM

As a person who uses the iOS all the damn time, allow me to help a bit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkshark (Post 3372452)
I try putting movies on it, won't work, itunes doesn't support anything of any sort of quality. I have to downgrade it to a shoddy version of h264.

Use the VLC App. It's great and plays every format known to man, even on the iOS. There are DOZENS of alternative apps from the stock stuff they give you on the ipad. Google Books, VLC, notepad apps, you name it. Just look around and you'll easily replace the default stuff.

Quote:

At least it plays smoothly once it's on there though. I try putting A ****ING JPG ON IT. Won't work. apparently you can't load single pictures into it, you have to import YOUR WHOLE GOD DAMN FOLDER OF PICTURES. Who's horrible idea was this? Really?

You can set which specific sync folder of pictures you want to go on your ipad. It's relatively easy to do.

Quote:

The fact that you can only pseudo multi-task is a big pain, my idea of multi-tasking is not simply being able to play music while you browse, that's stupid.

Double tap the home button to access the multitask panel. You can switch between apps with ease.

Yes, I acknowledge the fact that the iOS still can't run flash, but after the 4.0 patch, everything is a hell of a lot stabler then it used to be.

Also: http://vimeo.com/5582626

DotKritic 12-17-2010 04:57 PM

Does it still look new? If you can wipe it clean of images, music, videos, etc., you can probably still get $300-$400 for it.

Phynx 12-17-2010 04:58 PM

No native flash support is truly the biggest downfall of the Apple products. The fact that they won't allow for support is ludicrous.

Also, with Apple products, the fact that you have to sync them all to iTunes makes them even less desirable! FFS guys, let us just open it and use it god damn.

And another things, like you mentioned. There's no native support for IIRC, 50%ish of file formats we all use today. Apple wants to see these formats be changed into something Apple uses and won't allow it any other way.

Of course, there's cracks and unofficial patches you can apply to the iOS to make these things work natively and some are still in betaworks(flash support) but most of them are buggy and will hinder more than help.

The only real thing I like about Apples touchscreen products are the screens themselves. They are magnificent; no screen is able to compare. They make for very fluid looking animations and the multi-touch screen is VERY responsive and accurate, I would absolutely die if we could have droid devices with the Apple screens. OMG.

rushyrulz 12-17-2010 04:58 PM

lol how everyone hates Apple.
Sell that piece of junk.

darkshark 12-17-2010 05:05 PM

Doubletapping the home button does nothing o____o

I'll definitely get the VLC app, if it does what you say it does. However, how would I got about even putting, say, an MKV file onto it, how the **** do I get it on there? iTunes is just like LOL SRY U CANT PUT THAT ON HERE.

Of course the iPad still looks brand new, I got it yesterday ffs.

and Phynx, get a Galaxy S, they use capacitive touchscreens like the iphone as well, instead of those crappy resistive ones, not to mention uses an OLED display covered in scratch/shatterproof gorilla glass ;D

Phynx 12-17-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkshark (Post 3372491)
Doubletapping the home button does nothing o____o

I'll definitely get the VLC app, if it does what you say it does. However, how would I got about even putting, say, an MKV file onto it, how the **** do I get it on there? iTunes is just like LOL SRY U CANT PUT THAT ON HERE.

Of course the iPad still looks brand new, I got it yesterday ffs.

and Phynx, get a Galaxy S, they use capacitive touchscreens like the iphone as well, instead of those crappy resistive ones, not to mention uses an OLED display covered in scratch/shatterproof gorilla glass ;D

Oh but I hold in my hand a Droid Incredible! In fact, it's the reason why I have internet at all anymore :D Tethering FTW. I want an Evo 4G for Verizon ;_;

00Razor00 12-17-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkshark (Post 3372491)

I thought Galaxy S phones used Super AMOLED screens?

darkshark 12-17-2010 05:32 PM

That's what I just said.

Super AMOLED. The super am part just means they liquefied and dissolved the touch sensor film directly onto the screen's surface instead of having to put another layer on top of the screen.