Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-1-2015, 01:12 PM   #21
SC_coolguy44
Harmonoize
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SC_coolguy44
Default Re: How open are you about fiffering IRL?

I used to play FFR a couple times at highschool when I went there. Now I only play it at home and don't play it in public anymore.

As for the real life people on FFR, one of my good friends who I've known since kindergarten introduced me to FFR. He stopped playing and caring about the site a really long time ago, though. The same thing happened with two people who I'm friends with irl, they stopped playing the game and caring about the site a long time ago after I introduced the site to them.

I'm a little self-conscious about people irl knowing I play FFR because I'll think that they'll think that I'm some sheltered person who will 'never leave their parents' basement and never do well in the real world', so I just keep the FFR stuff at home.
SC_coolguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:12 PM   #22
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Honestly, I get too much anxiety to play this game in public because I like to be totally concentrated when I play. If people are walking/talking around me, I can't focus while playing the game. The last time I played in public (was playing Stepmania) was when I was in 11th grade. I played Zag's Shihen chart and I had like 5 kids sitting behind me because they thought I was super pro. I really got tired of hearing, "Man, this kid has absolutely no life to get this good at this game."
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:15 PM   #23
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
One time I fixed some flag while my dad must've been in earshot from another room and when the high score drop down sounded at the end of the file I heard 'about time you fucking shitlord'
loool

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:16 PM   #24
SC_coolguy44
Harmonoize
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SC_coolguy44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Honestly, I get too much anxiety to play this game in public because I like to be totally concentrated when I play. If people are walking/talking around me, I can't focus while playing the game. The last time I played in public (was playing Stepmania) was when I was in 11th grade. I played Zag's Shihen chart and I had like 5 kids sitting behind me because they thought I was super pro. I really got tired of hearing, "Man, this kid has absolutely no life to get this good at this game."
That's exactly what happened to me when I played FFR in highschool. I had like the whole class crowding behind me watching me play. It was quite annoying and threw off my concentration a little bit. That's one of the reasons (as I stated in my previous post) why I don't play FFR/SM in public.
SC_coolguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:23 PM   #25
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

yeah, when my buddies and I played in high school, we'd always attract crowds around our table and people going like "YOOOOO LOOK AT THESE GUYS GO", "THESE KIDS HAVE NO LIFE", etc.

I used to drive my family crazy from my key taps back in high school when I played practically everyday. my computer used to be located in the upstairs hallway area outside of the bedrooms, so every time I played my key taps would echo and resonate throughout the entire house. it basically got to the point where I could only play when no one was around because I'd constantly get bitched at for being a nuisance back then, lmao.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)

Last edited by Gundam-Dude; 02-1-2015 at 01:24 PM..
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

My family knows. Some people at college know. I very rarely play the game anymore to preserve this keyboard for another two months, and I hate playing on the laptop keys so I don't really play in public anymore. I used to at high school when I was bored and it was on lightdarkness, but I've never been good at the game irrespective of the people amazed at my "skill." If I were better, I might play it in public more, but I don't really care if people know. I just say it's like DDR for the keyboard and that I'm bad.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:27 PM   #27
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i've played in public with candor, people taking videos on their phones and all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:38 PM   #28
ItsOnlyDanO
Stuck in the past
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Only one of my friends knows about FFR, and I got him into other rhythm games because of it. (He mainly plays Stepmania/DDR now) Most of my family are aware and have no real opinion on it, although they get annoyed by my keytaps more often than not.

I don't really play ffr in public either, mainly because the site was blocked at both my school and college, and I don't play it at uni because I don't bring my laptop in everyday and studying>ffr. If I did, I'd probably just end up getting similar responses to what happens when I play DDR in my local arcade, such as 'how do you do that' or 'wtf?'

Ironically though, almost everyone I know is aware that I play DDR, yet I flat out refuse to tell most of them about FFR.

Last edited by ItsOnlyDanO; 02-1-2015 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: 'Adjustments'
ItsOnlyDanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:41 PM   #29
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

FFR never comes up in my day-to-day life. No one at university knows and my family thinks I quit a long time ago.
Used to play in the computer lab back in high school but stopped because of the issue with comments from crowds that Mahou and GD mentioned.

Last edited by tosh; 02-1-2015 at 01:41 PM..
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 01:44 PM   #30
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

wow what a loser how long did it take you to memorize the arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 02:09 PM   #31
KungFuHustle
FFR Player

Because I was in a small boarding high school, it was sort of common knowledge because people who lived with me could see me playing, and the word sort of spread from there. Then I quit so that was that.

Upon picking it back up here in college, no one really knows because I'm not dorming and there just isn't a reason to bring up rhythm gaming in conversation. Aside from the difficulty of explaining "DDR with a keyboard", it's just not all that important to understand when getting to know me.

Last edited by KungFuHustle; 02-1-2015 at 02:09 PM..
KungFuHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 02:35 PM   #32
alster1
What is this I don't even
FFR Veteran

I was super self-conscious about it in high school and stopped playing for a while. Then I would get drunk in college and play it while in the fraternity and people would make fun of me for it.
As for people who I know who play it, I don't know anyone as serious as me, but I recently got my friend into it and he'll play it occasionally. I've tried playing it in public with him, like in the school library, and people get mad even though it's on the non-quiet floor. I once had a guy come over and tell me to stop typing so loudly. Another time I had a girl loudly talk about me to her friend while I was walking by to go to the bathroom. I don't play it in public anymore
Old 02-1-2015, 02:37 PM   #33
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Everyone where I work knows about it since I'm always playing StepMania and FFR during lunch (when FFR decides not to lag anyways, so mostly just SM). Everyone in my family does too. They always bring it up whenever I call to see if I'm still doing it since I've been going for over a decade haha.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to tell anyone, really. I've never heard of any stigma for playing music games.

Last edited by shenjoku; 02-1-2015 at 02:37 PM..
shenjoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 02:42 PM   #34
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I personally don't care if people know, so I don't actively try to showcase or hide my abilities. Basically anyone who has been around me knows though, as they eventually will see me play or have the game open at some point. Generally speaking, as no one I know is actively involved in the game, it never really comes up in conversation though. My family and friends don't really have an opinion on it either, not that I can think of a reason they would. To them it's just a video game I like, which it is, so they understand it pretty well.

In the past I have played the game in public, mostly when I was first starting out. It surprises me how easily people are impressed by rhythm game skill. I had like a crowd of people around me in a classroom before because of my amazing ability to basically pass 300 This is Sparta EXTENDED Mix, fumbling around one handed. I did get a couple of those silly comments about memorizing the arrows or playing all the time, but generally people were just impressed and fairly positive though. I guess rhythm games are very underexposed in the general public (somehow, despite the popularity of stuff like Guitar Hero and DDR in the past), making virtually anything look amazing to people. Looking back it feels like the equivalent of a room of people flipping over how good someone is for going like -20 in a Halo game or something.
Old 02-1-2015, 02:43 PM   #35
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

if i played in public and someone said "YO THIS DUDE IS GOOD AT THIS HE MUST HAVE NO LIFE" i would just say "maybe if you picked up this game your wife/mom wouldnt have to come to me to be satisfied"
Old 02-1-2015, 02:50 PM   #36
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

To me, I feel as though the general public doesn't even know the first thing about Rhythm Gaming, so I leave it to myself.

I used to play ages ago at the library and once during school and people were checking it out but still never seemed interested in it to the point they wouldn't ask questions or ask to try.

Nowadays, only friends see me play if I decide to play. My family were the only people who have made fun of me for playing Rhythm Games too lmao.

Last edited by _Zenith_; 02-1-2015 at 02:50 PM..
_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 03:14 PM   #37
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

I never really got negative comments from fiffering in public. I got the crowds stuff at the beginning of HS though, which I'll admit I never liked.

My fam knows I fiffer. I play in my room and I close the door so idk keytaps comments I never really get from 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenjoku View Post
I don't know why you wouldn't want to tell anyone, really. I've never heard of any stigma for playing music games.
For me it has a lot to do with feeling weird about being a girl gamer. IDK it doesn't sound cool to other grils.
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 03:25 PM   #38
VisD
FFR Simfile Author

I just tell people it's like that game for your feet in the arcades except for your fingers

VisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-1-2015, 03:33 PM   #39
25thhour
I like max
FFR Veteran

Smartdude, Prawnskunk, and I have a club at our University.
Old 02-1-2015, 04:30 PM   #40
Kawaii025
Fake D4
FFR Veteran

I'm not really that open about it... I started playing while I was in college and it was an amazing escape for me. I was kind of open about playing DDR at one point, but I got made fun of (people showing true colors kinda deal), so I didn't even bother bringing up FFR.

As for people that actually know...my mom (kinda-sorta), my sister (doesn't grasp the fact it's hard for me to multi-task while playing), my ex...and that's about the extent of it.
Highest Blackflag: Survive (60)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (68)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (63)
Otaku Speedvibe [Heavy] unlocked 03/04/15 - On The Origin of Species (Evolution) (50)

Highest AAA:Case Closed (58)
Highest Blackflag: Survive (58)
Highest Booflag: Fill Me Up With Snacky Happiness & Suit Up (55)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (72)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (67)
Kawaii025 is offline   Reply With Quote