rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: FUTURE DOMINATORS (IcyWorld) 4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
WLL clones
this

of course it's fine to have your own way of stepping files, but it sorta gets stale after a while, especially considering song choice. at this point i could take the steps of the first 2 measures of WLL oni chorus, place them in any of the other sharpnel files you've done, and it'd be hard to tell if the steps are original or not.

i've already made 2 and a half (collab with eze on one) sharpnel files and i already feel like there isn't much more i can do with the song choice or steps to make each subsequent one unique (aside from shitting out steps like 11eleven rofl)

edit: imo scoring well on a long marathon file should be achieved by having good consistency and skill instead of barely scraping by because of a few dumb difficulty spikes like in this. part of the reason nobody really challenges files like 11eleven and color of giggles is because the difficulty scale varies so much, and there's a lot of filler before you get to the hard part.

Released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you look like you're dSucks

Last edited by rCaliberGX; 12-18-2013 at 12:56 AM..
rCaliberGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #22
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
It's a good file for a challenge yes, but for a handstream/jumpstream skills file the mini-jacks are really out of place (just a side note). I think the "slipping" thing is understandable though because to me, it looks like this will be in NB5? If it is that makes about 4 Sharpnel js/hs files that are layered in an almost identical way. In my opinion, these type of files are losing their luster a bit and making an increasing amount of them gives the impression that nothing new or unique is being brought to the table. I look at NB3 and 4 and although the packs are very similar in terms of layering structure and there's heavy emphasis on density, the files are quite diverse and have their own unique qualities to them. I have the NB5 preview pack and have only touched a handful of files in there..the ones that seemed new and different: Dark Matter, First Flight, Pandemonium, Soldiers of The Stamina (the length made this unique imo). Also I tried a few others like Magic Cycles, Nergal Burning, etc. but they feel so close to WLL clones that I haven't bothered trying them again. It also doesn't help that a ton of these don't have gfx yet which might seem superficial but really does make a difference so I'm sure the pack will still be kick-ass when it's all done.

tl;dr I think Sharpnel js/hs files are getting beaten to death so it's always important to keep variety in packs. (this is starting to remind me of when people made constant stream Rhapsody simfiles that were basically Emerald Sword clones in 2005)
I can easily avoid making dense jumpstream/handstream files like this, and I can completely deviate towards making more technical files like First Flight and Deconstruction. And I am getting more into making new types of files as you'll notice if you play more of nb5. BUT as for files like this, i'm completely OUT of new stuff to add to jumpstream/handstream as a genre. If you have any ideas shoot em my way.

If you'd like to know how I layer every single jumpstream/handstream file click spoiler:
Whenever I start making a jumpstream/handstream file I mark where i want jumps and where i want hands ahead of time with either 1 or 2 arrows. Then I layer stream through it avoiding long 1 hand trills. The marking is just to make sure I accurately layer in stuff like vocals or drums. I put jumptrills and rolls to drumrolls. Using this method I can make files as dense or as light as I want to, for example Abyssal could be a handstream file, but when you look at it it's just a really fast 280 bpm lightly layered 4th note at most jumpstream file that goes to the vocals. When it comes to layering streams I choose either index streams or spinrolls depending on how fast I have to hit it (for example Beyond Bludgeoned is a ton of spinrolls and staircases).

So by using this method to step obviously I will execute nearly all possible types of jumpstream/handstream and eventually resort to adding mines/freezes/jacks inside the jumpstream/handstream to try and give some amount of variation.

For the most part though I find it to be a very brainless process to make jumpstream/handstream, and most of the time the only variation to me is the BPM and how densely layered it is (also I like jumpstreaming to different songs, instead of going to TOML everytime I want to play a jumpstream file). I haven't made a 210 bpm handstream file as dense as this yet, so to me it's nice to have this file as a "next level" sort of deal.

Someone as good as yourself won't find these files appealing. But to someone like me who wants to build stamina, and go to the next level, it's perfect.

Kn33Gr0w told me something a long time ago, it's "I make files for myself, other people liking them is just a bonus", I've followed that standard ever since then. If 1 other person likes this file, I'm happy with that, if not that's cool too I'll still play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Sunny Street Piano Rush A and Snow Goose are actually pretty good and among the more played files in nuclear blast from what I understand.

I don't think you can compare this file to those for several reasons.

This file is really, really long, and for how long it is, it doesn't offer anything in variation. It's literally just dense handstream for six minutes.

The only thing it does offer in variation are those minijacks and 32nd rolls which, instead of keeping the file interesting, just serve to kill scoring opportunities and thus any desire to replay and try to get a good score, which is really frustrating for the player.

This file has little to offer as it plays so similarly to countless other marathon handstream dj sharpnel files, except that it has those annoying difficulty spikes.

But for example, Sunny Street Piano Rush has a more unique structure and although it's pretty repetitive, it's short enough so that people don't get bored with it and are still interested in trying to get a good score. It doesn't really matter that it's extremely densely layered.
I don't think sunny street is played that much honestly, maybe snow goose is but still not as much as my other files. I can agree that the minijacks might be a little over the top and I might consider taking them out, but they're really not that hard, they just switch from jacking right hand to jacking left hand twice for however many times.

TL;DR:
And as I mentioned to Dynamo, this file doesn't appeal to you because either you're so good that it's boring, or maybe you prefer one of my other files over it. I admit I'm flat out of ideas for making new handstream/jumpstream files, I feel I've covered every possibility for a different way to throw things at you. But I'll keep making them because to me they're fun to play, and offer varying degree's of challenge based on the song choice.

If you have an idea for a different way for me to layer shit, please tell me though.

Last edited by icontrolyourworld; 12-18-2013 at 01:20 AM..
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 AM   #23
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The issue I had wasn't with how you structure files and layer stuff (as I said NB3 and 4 are insanely fun packs but the layering concepts are very uniform across the board). The song choices and lengths are what made the files diverse, so if there is anything I'm at odds with in these recent Sharpnel files, it's the fact that:

a) There are a number of Sharpnel files that sound extremely similar and are at a similar bpm
b) The length of these files are consistently upwards of 4-5 minutes

It wouldn't matter to me if you structured these files to have something wacky like 24th jumpstrream the whole time for example, the patterning isn't the issue for me. Perhaps this song is 210bpm and it's considerably faster than others like it but what about Magic Cycles/Mmmmm/Nergal Burning/Cmnd+Ctrl+C ?

I didn't play First Flight because I knew it wouldn't be dense js/hs, I played it because the song was unique and not a Sharpnel track

All I'm saying is it might be a good idea to keep the song choices diverse as you did with the other NB Packs (there were a few Fleshgod Apocalypse marathon files but they ranged in BPM, rhythmic structure (not patterning), and raw difficulty sufficiently enough that each file was ultimately much different than the others.

No need to take my comments (or any others for that matter) too personally as well. I'm trying to give some input on the direction I feel the Nuclear Blast packs are going based on what I'm seeing released lately; it is just an opinion after all

Last edited by Dynam0; 12-18-2013 at 01:46 AM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #24
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Ah, So it's more so you're at odds with my song choice! Sorry I just really really love dj sharpnel, I wanted to have more in the pack to fit my own satisfaction for Sharpnel files. There's plenty of Non-Sharpnel files in the pack currently, and there will be plenty of Diversity in future song selections as well.

Shoulda just said so man xd

I'm not so much taking it personally, I was just confused as to what exactly you were trying to get at (the song choice), and could only logically come to how I was stepping the files (clones). So I was slightly baffled is all, since I've been making the same types of files since nb3
Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #25
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Something about your last 2 files just kind of feels like forced over-layering.

Maybe I'm crazy and inexperienced yet but idk it just doesn't look as refined as some of the older sharpnel stamina files youve made
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #26
Callipygian
Senior FFR citizen
FFR Veteran

quite dense, but I don't see the problem with that or with the jacks. I'll try and survive this beast when I have time
Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

kk, since this chart is apparently so hard, i'll do what i did for wll and gate openerz and make another difficulty that is still quite challenging but remove some of the stuff that makes it slightly too hard. and then we can all be happy (and i don't say forced, or overlayered cause i don't believe in that, it's just hard)
Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #28
Sidek
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

you're gonna do nuclear blast pack or you're gonna do Sharpnel Jumpstreamz pack?

Bye.
Sidek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

posting after sidek about stepmania
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #30
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Posting after choof after sidek about stepmania.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #31
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidek View Post
you're gonna do nuclear blast pack or you're gonna do Sharpnel Jumpstreamz pack?
yes.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #32
rCaliberGX
D7 Elite Keymasher
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by icontrolyourworld View Post
yes.
"if" question =/= "which" question lol

Released!