Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-9-2013, 09:22 AM   #21
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwkjw View Post
I also find myself using several exclamation marks (often separated by a space from the last word) at the end of sarcastic comments, haha.
Right with you. This type of indicator is both obvious and funny-looking.

Even online, if I make a mistake, I admit my error. I've never been very cautious in this regard; I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I consciously avoid using "sarcasm" to cover up mistakes as in the examples shown here, because doing so would reduce the impact created by my own actual sarcasm.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Last example. This one is about joking around, but it's not necessarily the best idea. Is anyone supposed to detect this?:
Person B says, "My mother just passed away."
Person A replies, "Well I'm sure you'll have a nice life without her."
Person B says, "That's pretty rude. I loved my mother."
Person A replies, "Sarcasm. I was just messing around."
Even the sarcastic version of Person A's remark would be hurtful. Sarcasm attempts to imply the opposite of whatever is spoken or typed. "Well I'm sure you'll have a nice life without her" becomes "Your life will be horrible from now on." I don't think anyone would find the latter statement to be funny.

Last edited by dAnceguy117; 01-9-2013 at 09:29 AM..
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

too many times i done paid my dues, even today im still payin em fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 12:37 PM   #23
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
If we're talking about irl, I tend to be really sarcastic, but only sarcastic enough to not offend. If I offend someone with my sarcasm, I tend to quickly apologize and "lighten up" around that person. And I make sure it's glaringly obvious, at least for the person I'm talking to.

If we're talking about on the internet, then fuck bitches get money.
This except the apologize part

Old 01-9-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Zapmeister
FFR Player

for those having trouble with the general detection of sarcasm online, you may consider the purchase of one of these. i bought one when i was a gullible little thirteen-year-old trying to make my way around the internet (on dial-up) and it really helped. plugs straight into a usb port, speakers have ultra-quick response, and its accuracy is amazing

[/sarcasm]

related: sar chasm

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I don't know too many people my age who would try to cover up an opinion for the sake of conformity. Silence is golden.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

just gotta know the person and their brand of humor
Old 01-9-2013, 03:06 PM   #27
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Everyone takes everything I say seriously all the time.

You'd think after a while people would catch on

But they don't

No one does

no one
Wayward Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Regardless of setting, I try to use basic conventions. Capitalization, correct spelling, punctuation, etc. Obviously, my grammar and conventions aren't perfect, but typing in that manner is me being serious unless I'm talking to someone who I know would understand my sarcasm.

For the most part, I'm being sarcastic. I like to chime in with things that make me laugh and hopefully someone will hear it (in real life) or read it and find the humor I'm using. Though, my sense of humor is mainly a dry wit anymore.

So detecting my sarcasm comes from knowing me and noticing my grammatical errors. I will stop capitalizing and intentionally spell words VERY wrong if I need to be very sarcastic. Usually caps lock is a good indicator as well.

I will never try to cover my lack of intelligence by saying I was being sarcastic. I can own up to being wrong. Everyone makes mistakes, and I'm wrong all the time.

As for your examples, I don't detect sarcasm in those. Any of them. I guess there is a personal way of conveying sarcasm that varies from person to person. It's just a matter of knowing that person well enough to detect their sarcasm when it isn't blatantly obvious.

It's funny. We talked last year in my literature class about making a sarcasm font to avoid such confusion. Were it so easy...

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicturbo View Post
I think sarcasm works best between 2 individuals who know each other to a particular extent. I probably wouldn't be 'as' sarcastic to someone I only just started talking to or met. But someone I've known for years would be able to pick up any sarcasm I throw from a mile away.
Even using it with good friends can be difficult if you're like myself and your tone doesn't change even slightly.

A teacher I had would confuse me being serious for me being sarcastic and vice versa.

Sarcasm is a great free tool for people like myself who tend to not think before they speak rather than speaking as we're thinking. Being naturally sarcastic as I am it's a good tool to cover up light jabs and not make the other person angry, but still gives you the feeling that you didn't hold back, at least in my case.

In general though, people really should be able to tell if you were joking or not if they can't that sucks for them honestly.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 07:47 PM   #30
infinity.
sideways 8
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Even using it with good friends can be difficult if you're like myself and your tone doesn't change even slightly.

A teacher I had would confuse me being serious for me being sarcastic and vice versa.

Sarcasm is a great free tool for people like myself who tend to not think before they speak rather than speaking as we're thinking. Being naturally sarcastic as I am it's a good tool to cover up light jabs and not make the other person angry, but still gives you the feeling that you didn't hold back, at least in my case.

In general though, people really should be able to tell if you were joking or not if they can't that sucks for them honestly.
honestly i tried to take this post seriously but split infinitives

also sarcasm is more often than not a negative thing (aka not practical or effective for communicative purposes).

nerds
infinity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 08:08 PM   #31
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
I don't know too many people my age
that's because you're on a website with a bunch of high school and college students

heyyyoooooo
Old 01-9-2013, 08:08 PM   #32
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
heyyyoooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 08:20 PM   #33
Zageron
Zageron E. Tazaterra
RRR Developer & DevOps Support
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Veteran

I dearly hope that most people know when I am being sarcastic, and when I am not.
Zageron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
SkySeal
FFR Player

i hope people dont find out when im sarcastic
i think its working
SkySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 08:51 PM   #35
cetaka
Dark Chancellor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to cetaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-o24 View Post
As for your examples, I don't detect sarcasm in those. Any of them. I guess there is a personal way of conveying sarcasm that varies from person to person. It's just a matter of knowing that person well enough to detect their sarcasm when it isn't blatantly obvious.
probably becasue the OP as stated doesnt understand irony so that's what he or she sees in their own head when confronted by it

cetaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 08:52 PM   #36
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

nice thread

nice posts
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 09:00 PM   #37
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

thanks omg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 10:34 PM   #38
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetaka View Post
probably becasue the OP as stated doesnt understand irony so that's what he or she sees in their own head when confronted by it
I know what irony is and am not socially inept. The statement I'm making is that I don't believe sarcasm is always used for showing your wittiness. I actually think that it's frequently used to hide your dumbness. There would be no way for me to actually prove that in any given case though, but I can see how it can be used conveniently as such. Since I'm not usually sarcastic, I haven't gave much thought to the idea beforehand.

Last edited by bmah; 01-9-2013 at 10:37 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 11:03 PM   #39
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
The statement I'm making is that I don't believe sarcasm is always used for showing your wittiness. I actually think that it's frequently used to hide your dumbness. There would be no way for me to actually prove that in any given case though, but I can see how it can be used conveniently as such.
And therein lies the problem. If someone were to say something stupid thinking they know what they are talking about, or thinking they are saying something intelligent and are called out on it, falling back on sarcasm is an easy way for them to evade the income fire. On the other hand, however, if someone were to say something dripping with sarcasm that wasn't picked up by another individual and that other individual calls the sarcasm user stupid, then where does the user go to? Considering how on line forums work, debates are usually flame wars so the individual will continue calling the user stupid, even though the user swears up and down what they said was sarcastic.

In the latter situation, sarcasm is clearly being used in a relevant manner whereas in the former, sarcasm is used as a defense mechanism. But which situation is utilizing sarcasm more effectively? The defense mechanism, or the misunderstood sarcasm? The defense mechanism is just that, a way to not sound like an idiot when called out on saying something stupid. Does that mean it's truly sarcasm? Probably not. They are probably just an idiot. However is it much better to use sarcasm that isn't picked up on? Arguably not, since the desired understanding was missed.

So, in my opinion, it all comes down to understanding sarcasm and identifying it, which is no easy task. I would say if you call someone out on being stupid and they say they were being sarcastic, it's probably a defense mechanism. The person who can effectively utilize sarcasm will argue that they were using sarcasm effectively and the accuser just didn't pick up on it. Thoughts?

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-9-2013, 11:21 PM   #40
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-o24 View Post
I would say if you call someone out on being stupid and they say they were being sarcastic, it's probably a defense mechanism. The person who can effectively utilize sarcasm will argue that they were using sarcasm effectively and the accuser just didn't pick up on it. Thoughts?
The way you describe it sounds like sarcasm could be a visible form of insecurity amongst the user. That doesn't necessarily mean you're insecure if you use sarcasm, but a lot of "missed sarcasm" I find seem to match the situation you're describing.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote