Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-3-2012, 09:36 PM   #41
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Is anyone here not good at school?

I didn't disregard the fact that having top grades opens doors (being headhunted, etc.) I even said in my first post that if you're capable of achieving that, go for it. This is assuming you're not going to be 95+ no matter how much effort you put in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2012, 10:09 PM   #42
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
To be honest, getting good grades in school isn't nearly as important as ultimately getting the certification, as most employers aren't going to be looking at your transcripts. As long as you obtain some sort of degree related to the career field you wish to work in, you'll most likely be safe in securing a type of job you want.
It's true that after your first job, your grades don't really matter to employers. But various jobs give different types of experience/lead-ins to other jobs and opportunities, etc. It can be hard to jump from one field to another without taking a hit or being blocked out due to lack of education or experience. It's all a huge chain.

The general point here is that nothing's impossible, but the longer you wait, the more barriers you have to overcome. Some gaps become exponentially wider as time progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
Put in a solid hour or two a day and you should be good to go. Maybe you guys are overestimating the grade gap or something. If your best work potential is an 88 with 4-5 hours of work a day and you're currently pulling 75-80 with 1-2 hours of work a day, that's fine imho. Don't slack off to the point of going from a potential 88 to sub 60s. That's not slacking off, that's doing nothing.
I would argue that if you can get an 88, go for the 88. If it takes you 4-5 hours, so be it. Sometimes a lot of hard work is required to get ahead, and I think it does people a disservice to settle.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 03-3-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 12:43 AM   #43
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Mnm View Post
I feel like everyone on this site is amazing at school and does so good. I do terrible >.> and I'm going to a community college next year as well.
High school forces people to juggle a ton of different subjects. Are there any areas in which you excel? College could be a great opportunity for a grade boost if you really work for it. You can pick a preferred major, take fewer classes at one time, cut some of the BS and study with a tighter focus.

Also, +1 to the notion that attending a community college is a completely viable path to success, and that people who assume otherwise are str8 ignant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission View Post
Plus, it guaranteed admission to my local university (University of Central Florida, or UCF), where I am currently achieving identical grades as I work towards my 4-year. I plan on graduating by the end of the year.
whoa duuuuude we are totally at the same school. We oughtta grab a bite to eat in the union sometime. How you liking the Poli Sci program? And you said you're gonna graduate at 18 or 19? That is fast track as hell, haha. Way to go
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 12:47 AM   #44
BethanyBangs
~
FFR Veteran

Eh, I'm one of those people that slack off, a lot. So yes, I can be bad sometimes. But even slacking off still results in A's and B's which is good enough for me.. Asian parents flip if you get a C or under LOL. Also, I'm gonna be going to a technical/vocational college after high school in a few months.
BethanyBangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 01:00 AM   #45
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
whoa duuuuude we are totally at the same school. We oughtta grab a bite to eat in the union sometime. How you liking the Poli Sci program? And you said you're gonna graduate at 18 or 19? That is fast track as hell, haha. Way to go
Yo! That's awesome - we really SHOULD meet. Message me on my profile or by PM and I can give you more details (I don't want to derail this thread, haha).

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 01:01 AM   #46
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyBangs View Post
Asian parents flip if you get a C or under LOL.
...so am I allowed to make the Asian/Bsian/Csian joke here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyBangs View Post
Also, I'm gonna be going to a technical/vocational college after high school in a few months.
Sweet. Give it an honest effort! I'm willing to bet that working hard would pay dividends.
Old 03-4-2012, 01:01 AM   #47
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Long story short, plenty of people go to community college and wind up just fine. Where you go to school doesn't define you. Just enjoy the process of learning and pushing yourself and things will fall into place.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 01:03 AM   #48
sticklydude
r.i.p. tiny hippo

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Mnm View Post
I feel like everyone on this site is amazing at school and does so good. I do terrible >.> and I'm going to a community college next year as well.

Does anyone else not do that good, or is it just me?

I feel left out D:
I'm right with you.

I'm the only one in my family who's gone/going to a community college.

I'm too embarrassed to tell my high school friends where I go

Last edited by sticklydude; 03-4-2012 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: can't spell.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 01:25 AM   #49
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I have terrible issues focusing on homework and tests, I'll fall asleep during a test when I'm not even tired. I just need to get my head on right and I know I can do better, some days I seem like I know everything, the next I am doing failure status

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 01:26 AM   #50
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

In my opinion, being in an upper-tier university opens up so much opportunity throughout one's undergraduate years. However, one would have to pay extra money for the availability of these opportunities (along with quality of life, strong education, etc.). Many people tend to value these opportunities as a key to success in life, which make these universities prestigious and glorified with fame. However, regardless of which university you attend, it is possible to seek for your own opportunities if you do your research, have the determination, and stay motivated to learn about your intended field of study. Therefore, being in a prestigious school isn't necessary to be successful in life.

Opportunities open up more opportunities. Take advantage of any opportunity that comes your way.

If you guys are wondering, I am currently attending an unknown "prestigious" school (as they claimed lmfao) that is relatively cheap in terms of tuition and costs. Even though there aren't as many opportunities offered here compared to a prestigious university, there is a substantial amount for me. It's the matter of making the best of what you're given in life! (:

Last edited by iironiic; 03-4-2012 at 01:30 AM..
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 01:30 AM   #51
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Zenith_ View Post
I have terrible issues focusing on homework and tests, I'll fall asleep during a test when I'm not even tired.
Focus and motivation aside, that sounds like it could be a medical issue. Def. worth getting checked out if that's a regular occurrence at all.
Old 03-4-2012, 01:42 AM   #52
Samwais
Mysterious. . . .
FFR Veteran

I'm probably the worst type of student there is. I procrastinate until the deadline of whatever assignment i'm supposed to be doing is one or 2 days away (and my written assignments require 3 pages of text usually).

Fun fact though, I pretty much slept my way through college with slightly better than average grades. (I even got a honorary scholarship for good grades somehow .-.) All I ever really cared about was not failing any courses.

I did manage to get into a university just barely and it's not the best uni in finland, but it's good enough for me. I have english as my major and I plan to take japanese as my minor (I like studying languages, it's the only thing I will willingly do for school purposes :P)
Samwais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 02:00 AM   #53
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm in my senior year of highschool right now. I always manage to pull off A's in all my classes except for English and it's been that way ever since middle school. I just don't have any interest in that class. Not sure what I'm gonna do after highschool though.... scary thought. I seem to take an interest in math.

I procrastinate here and there but I don't always do it. It's just random.
Old 03-4-2012, 06:32 AM   #54
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

What danceguy said, except nothing's an aside and never should be when it comes to your health. Anything can be a symptom; if it's not, then it's up to a doctor to figure that out.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 07:59 AM   #55
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

I don't think the particular path you choose to take for your education is important. It's more important to understand what you want to do with your life and how you're going to get there. If going to community college is where you need to go to fulfill yourself, then that's where you should be going.

At the same time, you need to know how to balance yourself as a person. Grades aren't that important in the big scheme of things; I don't think they measure much at all. They're merely a means to an end, but don't underestimate their importance. It's important to achieve what you need to accomplish the things you need to accomplish. I know I wouldn't be where I am now if my grades weren't what they were. That's reality.

But what's more important after your grades have been dealt with, I think, is embracing a philosophy of life learning. If you take in new knowledge every day and learn to apply it and utilize it, you'll be infinitely better off than someone hyperfocused on achieving miraculous grades in all of their classes. I know plenty of people that got better grades than me that ended up nowhere, because they're intellectually myopic dimwits. Don't be one of them.

It's also important to surround yourself with people and support networks that are like minded and focused towards achieving goals, since people rarely make it to where they want to go in life by themselves.

Quote:

A by-product of getting better grades is an increase in the skills above (What will matter more than anything is intellectual drive, skills, responsible decision-making, and attitude. )

I'd be willing to argue that the temporal precedence in this case is the other way around.

Having and improving the skills above will be strongly correlated with achieving better grades, but not the other way around.

A number of studies have been done on this issue, which largely confirm the fact that educational achievement is heavily influenced by variables such as these, but educational achievement in and of itself does little if anything to improve these factors.

So basically, people need to have their shit together holistically before grades are going to fall into place.

Last edited by Reach; 03-4-2012 at 08:07 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 09:34 AM   #56
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by dAnceguy117 View Post
Focus and motivation aside, that sounds like it could be a medical issue. Def. worth getting checked out if that's a regular occurrence at all.
I go to sleep around midnight, wake up @ 6:45am. Would that be why or no? I know it is a little deprived of the normal hours, but other than that, I just pass out randomly.

Old 03-4-2012, 10:45 AM   #57
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Quote:
I go to sleep around midnight, wake up @ 6:45am. Would that be why or no? I know it is a little deprived of the normal hours, but other than that, I just pass out randomly.
I dunno, try going to bed at earlier hours and see if it improves your day or not. For the first couple of nights you might be just be lying there, not falling asleep right away, but it'll register soon enough and you'l fall asleep when you go to bed at X p.m. instead of 12 a.m.
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2012, 11:07 AM   #58
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player

Okay, thank you both for the advice, I will do both of them and let you know how it goes

Old 03-4-2012, 11:33 AM   #59
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
What danceguy said, except nothing's an aside and never should be when it comes to your health. Anything can be a symptom; if it's not, then it's up to a doctor to figure that out.
Yeah, good point. You're absolutely right.

Quote:
I got less sleep while I was in high school to be honest. That said, different people need different amounts of sleep to be fully functional, with 7.5 or 8 being the norm. I also had a tendency to nap during Religion class, so...

I definitely agree with Hazelle. Just gotta be patient; I know lying in bed with a restless mind is one of my least favorite things to do ever. You should be able to adjust as long as you stick to a certain time. Zenith, I'll search your posts in two weeks, and I hope to read something along the lines of "I now stay awake during all of my tests and get 150% on all of them! Thx guys!!!!"