Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #121
stavie33
FFR Player
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Massive 8.9-magnitude quake hits Japan

oh my god I hope you're safe JX. Other than my friends, I do have cousins in Tokyo, but they said they are currently safe, but this is just so horrific, it's struck me harder than any earthquake/tsunami disaster I've ever dealt with, not just having people I know there, but because Japan is my favorite country, and I wish to live there someday (been there many times before) and to see this happen to it is such a tragedy
You're holding me down (Oh Oh)
Turning me round (Oh Oh)
Filling me up with your rules (Oooh)
stavie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #122
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimerax View Post
Actually we're afraid of nuclear rain, which may happen after this meltdown (at least cesium 137 was detected outside the power plant).

Currently we are not sure how it will turn out yet, but possible worst result will be like chernobyl's case (hope not).
Oh my. I hope things don't things don't escalate to that level. The damage is already bad enough over there.

I wish Japan the best of luck, as I put my thoughts/prayers/hopes/wishes/etc toward Japan and its people.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing

Last edited by reuben_tate; 03-12-2011 at 01:39 AM..
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #123
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

I've heard about this meltdown, and what government is doing to stop and prevent something serious.

I hope everything goes fine for people there. Even if I don't have relatives or friends, it's disturbing to think about all of this. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #124
DotKritic
Forum User

2 Japanese plants struggling to cool radioactive material

Quake moved Japan coast 8 feet; shifted Earth's axis

U.S. man dies taking tsunami photos

edit: You know what's weird? Price per barrel of oil is hovering just over US$101; down US$3 from yesterday.

FFR Member Since December 17th, 2004
DotKritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #125
dag12
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dag12

So apparently there was an explosion at the plant, with radioactive materials.possibly released now. Not certain though, been watching Japanese.news broadcasts...
dag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:33 AM   #126
DotKritic
Forum User

I heard there was an explosion NEARBY one of the plants with one of the plants leaking.

Old 03-12-2011, 02:36 AM   #127
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

omg it's likely that the worst thing has happened.

I'll probably have to escape from here.. still waiting for more informations.
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #128
DotKritic
Forum User

Quote:

I'd leave ahead of the crowd. You know...just in case.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:10 AM   #129
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The amount of damage that has occured in the past 48 hours is ridiculous. I hope this can be resolved soon.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 AM   #130
Ziergdsx18
ℜ1 ステップチャート 著者

Send a message via AIM to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via MSN to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via Skype™ to Ziergdsx18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotKritic View Post
I'd leave ahead of the crowd. You know...just in case.
^Totally this jimerax, just in case the worst DOES happen. Praying for everyone's safety over there bro.

| irc.rizon.net | #touhouradio - Come listen! |
Ziergdsx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #131
Ziergdsx18
ℜ1 ステップチャート 著者

Send a message via AIM to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via MSN to Ziergdsx18 Send a message via Skype™ to Ziergdsx18
Exclamation Re: Massive 8.9-magnitude quake hits Japan

Posting this to keep this thread updated of the current situation on japan:

Walls fall, smoke pours from Japan nuclear plant

SENDAI, Japan – An explosion at a nuclear power station tore down the walls of one building Saturday as smoke poured out and Japanese officials said they feared the reactor could melt down following the failure of its cooling system in a powerful earthquake and tsunami.

It was not clear if the damaged building housed the reactor. Tokyo Power Electric Co., the utility that runs the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant, said four workers were injured but details were not immediately available.

Footage on Japanese TV showed that the walls of one building had crumbled, leaving only a skeletal metal frame standing. Puffs of smoke were spewing out of the plant.

"We are now trying to analyze what is behind the explosion," said government spokesman Yukio Edano, stressing that people should quickly evacuate a six-mile (10-kilometer) radius. "We ask everyone to take action to secure safety."

The trouble began at the plant's Unit 1 after Friday's massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake and the tsunami it spawned knocked out power there. The disaster has killed hundreds of people and devastated the country's northeastern coast, where rescuers began slowly arriving Saturday.

The toll of destruction was still not known more than 24 hours after the quake since washed-out roads and shut airports have hindered access to the area. An untold number of bodies were believed to be buried in the rubble and debris.

The official death toll stood at 413, while 784 people were missing and 1,128 injured. In addition, police said between 200 and 300 bodies were found along the coast in Sendai, the biggest city in the area near the quake's epicenter. Local media reports said at least 1,300 people may have been killed.

Adding to worries was the fate of nuclear power plants in the region. Japan has declared states of emergency for five nuclear reactors at two power plants after the units lost cooling ability.

The most troubled one is facing meltdown, officials have said.

Pressure has been building up in the reactor — it's now twice the normal level — and Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency told reporters Saturday that the plant was venting "radioactive vapors." Officials said they were measuring radiation levels in the area.

The reactor in trouble has already leaked some radiation: Operators have detected eight times the normal radiation levels outside the facility and 1,000 times normal inside Unit 1's control room.

Wind in the region is weak and headed northeast, out to sea, according to the Meteorological Agency.

Ryohei Shiomi, an official with Japan's nuclear safety commission, said that even if there was a meltdown, it wouldn't affect people outside a six-mile (10-kilometer) radius — an assertion that might need revising if the situation deteriorates. Most of the 51,000 residents living within the danger area had been evacuated, he said.

Meanwhile, the first wave of military rescuers began arriving by boats and helicopters.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan said 50,000 troops would join rescue and recovery efforts following the quake that unleashed one of the greatest disasters Japan has witnessed — a 23-foot (7-meter) tsunami that washed far inland over fields, smashing towns, airports and highways in its way.

"Most of houses along the coastline were washed away, and fire broke out there," said Kan after inspecting the quake area in a helicopter. "I realized the extremely serious damage the tsunami caused."

More than 215,000 people were living in 1,350 temporary shelters in five prefectures, or states, the national police agency said. Since the quake, more than 1 million households have not had water, mostly concentrated in northeast.

The transport ministry said all highways from Tokyo leading to quake-hit areas were closed, except for emergency vehicles. Mobile communications were spotty and calls to the devastated areas were going unanswered .

Local TV stations broadcast footage of people lining up for water and food such as rice balls. In Fukushima, city officials were handing out bottled beverages, snacks and blankets. But there were large areas that were surrounded by water and were unreachable.

One hospital in Miyagi prefecture was seen surrounded by water. The staff had painted an SOS on its rooftop and were waving white flags.

Prime Minister Kan said a total of 190 military aircraft and 25 ships have been sent to the area, which continued to be jolted by tremors, even 24 hours later.

More than 125 aftershocks have occurred, many of them above magnitude 6.0, which even alone would be considered strong.

Technologically advanced Japan is well prepared for quakes and its buildings can withstand strong jolts, even a temblor like Friday's, which was the strongest the country has experienced since official records started in the late 1800s. What was beyond human control was the killer tsunami that followed.

It swept inland about six miles (10 kilometers) in some areas, swallowing boats, homes, cars, trees and even small airplanes.

"The tsunami was unbelievably fast," said Koichi Takairin, a 34-year-old truck driver who was inside his sturdy four-ton rig when the wave hit the port town of Sendai.

"Smaller cars were being swept around me," he said. All I could do was sit in my truck."

His rig ruined, he joined the steady flow of survivors who walked along the road away from the sea and back into the city on Saturday. Smoke from at least one large fire could be seen in the distance.

Smashed cars and small airplanes were jumbled up against buildings near the local airport, several miles (kilometers) from the shore. Felled trees and wooden debris lay everywhere as rescue workers coasted on boats through murky waters around flooded structures, nosing their way through a sea of debris.

Basic commodities were at a premium. Hundreds lined up outside of supermarkets, and gas stations were swamped with cars. The situation was similar in scores of other towns and cities along the 1,300-mile-long (2,100-kilometer-long) eastern coastline hit by the tsunami.

In Sendai, as in many areas of the northeast, cell phone service was down, making it difficult for people to communicate with loved ones.

"I'm waiting for my son to come here. But I cannot tell him he should come over here because mobile phones aren't working," a woman in her 70s told Japanese TV at a shelter in the town of Rikuzentakada, which appeared to be largely destroyed by the tsunami.

"My husband is missing," she said. "Tsunami water was rising to my knees, and I told him I would go first. He is not here yet."

President Barack Obama pledged U.S. assistance following what he called a potentially "catastrophic" disaster. He said one U.S. aircraft carrier was already in Japan and a second was on its way. A U.S. ship was also heading to the Marianas Islands to assist as needed, he said.

Most trains in Tokyo started running again Saturday after the city had been brought to a near standstill the day before. Tens of thousands of people had been stranded with the rail network down, jamming the streets with cars, buses and trucks trying to get out of the city.

Japan's worst previous quake was a magnitude 8.3 temblor in Kanto that killed 143,000 people in 1923, according to the USGS. A magnitude 7.2 quake in Kobe killed 6,400 people in 1995.

Japan lies on the "Ring of Fire" — an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones stretching around the Pacific where about 90 percent of the world's quakes occur, including the one that triggered the Dec. 26, 2004, Indian Ocean tsunami that killed an estimated 230,000 people in 12 countries. A magnitude-8.8 quake that shook central Chile in February 2010 also generated a tsunami and killed 524 people.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake

http://www.euronews.net/2011/03/12/e...uclear-reactor

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tbstv#..._medium=social

A firefighter looks at burned-out vehicles at Hitachi port, northeastern Japan, on Saturday March 12, 2011, one day after a giant quake and tsunami struck the country's northeastern coast.

Anybody who can provide more information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ziergdsx18; 03-12-2011 at 04:45 AM..
Ziergdsx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #132
championanwar
Ask Nuro! x3
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

@Ziergdsx18 I just got that on the news, ****ing hell man. . . Devastation amounts just keeps going up :/. . . Aweful how so many people can be killed like that >:. .

I just heard: That most people are still carrying on as normal- brave people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson
all of 65dos are dumb an noticable because their idea of 7/8 is 4/4 with one beat cut off the end
Quote:
aperson: yo shikari if u c thom yorke
aperson: plz tell him 2 start usin consonants again
Click Here
championanwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #133
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

Radiation will only affect 20 km radius , building won't result in another ussr incident thank goodness
Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #134
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

heard that the radiation measurements around the plant are dropping
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #135
krunkykai22
&lt;3 Jumpstream &lt;3

Send a message via AIM to krunkykai22 Send a message via Yahoo to krunkykai22 Send a message via Skype™ to krunkykai22

Quote:

Dude, I've read countless times people being told to migrate away from Japan. Couple friends I have that live in Japan flat out told me everyone is in chaos and havoc trying to get away for the time being. I really hope your safe and hope you reach better ground soon, in case something does happen.
krunkykai22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #136
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

From the official statement of the government, it's kinda unclear but we're not in the worst possible scenario yet.

Now TEPCO is pouring seawater (with boric acid) into the containment vessel and pressure vessel, I hope it will work.

Last edited by jimerax; 03-12-2011 at 09:38 AM..
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #137
Dorby
fake plastic deez
FFR Veteran

Yeah, I'm sure prayers are going to clean up Japan... Get real, guys. Also, we are all watching the news. Why post in the thread every minute detail that we already know?
And so it was, with this thread that, in 2014 Robertsona will be placed in history via the Legendary Thread section. He will be respected as a self-proclaimed master of TGB. A feat so uncared for and ignored that he himself committed suicide in early 2013.
Dorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #138
TwilightPrincess
FFR Veteran
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorby View Post
Yeah, I'm sure prayers are going to clean up Japan... Get real, guys. Also, we are all watching the news. Why post in the thread every minute detail that we already know?
Admittedly, prayers don't actually have that kind of effect, but people have a right to care about other people, so let them!

I, for one, have friends in Japan that I care about very much, and I hope that each and every one of them are okay!

EDIT: Not everybody watches/reads the news, FYI. Some people receive their news from word of mouth, or in this case, from other websites/forums.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess; 03-12-2011 at 10:33 AM..
TwilightPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #139
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Obviously if you want to help Japan, give charity to any organizations helping over there right now.

Prayer isn't going to do anything, but I feel that most people saying that sort of thing only mean that they wish everyone there the best, not that they actually expect any divine intervention. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for the reactor I commented on earlier, it seems to have gotten worse, but there are a lot of different claims being made in news articles I've read. From what the experts have stated thus far, nothing overly serious has happened yet, so assuming conditions don't get dramatically worse, the reactors should hold up.

It's not going to be another Chernobyl. Chernobyl wasn't a meltdown anyway, and it was the result of negligence.

Last edited by Reach; 03-12-2011 at 11:00 AM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #140
Izzy
Snek

I just watched a documentary on chernobyl and there is something I don't understand. Was the cause of the failure due to the experiment they were doing or was it a coincidence?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote