Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-6-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Weird skill jumps

Today was a strange day for me because I underwent a significant skill boost that improved my PA to be about 1/3 of what it was before. My PA is normally pretty bad.

Since the next 3 rounds of the tournament are really important to whether or not I place top 8 since I'm right on the border, I figured I'd just go start FC'ing the last remaining 6's I had left and try to work on my PA. Then I jumped into the 7's, and after 25 new FC's, I noticed I was hitting everything so seamlessly and was getting mid-SDG's which definitely isn't normal for me.

Instead of going to bed at 10:00am like normal, I stayed up and kept FC'ing everything with increasing precision and played harder songs to compare my new PA to the one of... yesterday... and it was literally 3 times as good even though I have barely gotten anywhere since February.

Then my right hand became extremely tired at around 90 FC's so I didn't get a chance to jump into VCs/FMOs. Then I spent 3 hours struggling to get 10 more VD FC's for a magical 100 with a near dead right hand. Strangely, my PA was still really good, but I missed a lot of arrows, so that's really odd... (i.e. missing ~5 arrows through a song)

I've had skill jumps before, but those are usually in something specific whereas this let me read and hit everything like time was slowed down, or at least that's how it felt. This is what I walked away with:

That makes 309 FC's. I would boo out of games so ignore misses/boos. ~60% of the games played were VD.

I just hope it's still here tomorrow. Anyone else have any really significant boosts?

Last edited by Garquillex; 08-6-2009 at 11:52 PM..
Garquillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
dood gone krazee
RATOOOOOOOOO
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dood gone krazee Send a message via MSN to dood gone krazee
Default Re: Weird skill jumps

One day I found I could AA Disregard and Dew's Shind Bad Heavy.

Haven't touched those scores since. Hopefully your skill boost stays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Thomas View Post
Dood... you done gone got yourself krazee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
I hear back in 12 AD Jesus Himself sent an FGO to Tass and it got a 9 by JX

"[++] 9/10
Very good file but not japanese enough ps hi jesus"
dood gone krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Ghakimx
Cutie&Handshaking Sounds
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Ghakimx

Well, I had one over 2 months ago when I downloaded Ilonoya's Touhou pack. My bad, it showed how terrible I was at rhythm games. So I started off by playing the songs in it without Jumps, then I got better and played them with it. Very shortly after, I could play songs much like those without trouble. Hell, I finally managed to 2A a file for Excited Hyper Highspeed Star which I couldn't even A at first. It didn't even have many jumps!

I AM ASHAMED OF MY STUPIDITY AND MUST COMMIT SEPPUKU. FORGIVE ME, FFR.

Ninjas NEVER die. Now on a 30 kill streak.
Ghakimx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
TC_Pr0
Washed up d5 player
FFR Veteran

Yeah. Over the past two months I went from having one or two C songs AAA'd to over 20 VC AAA's. Skill jump ftw. =D And I just got another one.
Old 08-7-2009, 01:43 AM   #5
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

i got xp and all of a sudden my scores jumped like WoAh

awesome skill boost for you though keep it up
Old 08-7-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
TC_Pr0
Washed up d5 player
FFR Veteran

XP wins, lol.
Old 08-7-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
albaneenesk8r
I Fap For Justice
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to albaneenesk8r Send a message via MSN to albaneenesk8r Send a message via Yahoo to albaneenesk8r Send a message via Skype™ to albaneenesk8r

lol i stopped playing for a year and had a huge PA blast. i can AAA anything up to vc pretty much first try now i hope you skill jump stays.. they are always nice to get
My hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04im View Post
u so heavy even aphro cant carry ur ass
albaneenesk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 07:59 AM   #8
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I don't really have skill boosts anymore, I'm having sleeping issues, when I think I had a skill boost I normally just slept well that night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I believe you had the "wtf yellow arrows" speed boost where you realized that yellow arrows were easy, not hard and you just started FCing stuff. The mental game of FFR is crazy, there's the mental blocks, then there's people saying which patterns are hard which makes you think those patterns are hard so you suck at them.

Generally this type of skill boost stays. The jump between Challenging and Very Challenging is actually one of the harder transitions, and Very Challenging to FMO even more so. (I have around 37 Very Challenging AAAs not including tokens and 0 FMO AAAs.) So really IMO, the game doesn't get hard until difficuties 10-12. (screw RATO) So great job on the skill boost, I hope you keep it and are able to progress into a FGO FCing master of FFR

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
potter_rocks_out_loud
I <3 skyetacular
FFR Veteran

mine wasn't exactly a skill boost.. but today i found myself striving to play FMO and FGO songs.. not getting FC's or anything.. but i did raise a few of my ranks... It was like... my fingers kicked into over drive. Being to fast for Easy songs. to anticipating for difficult songs... but feeling good about VC and up.

It was wierd... but now my shoulder is killing me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
Subscriptions automatically gives you -10 goods on any song.

You never knew?

Being a mod gives you -30 goods.
And being Synthligh gives you +15 goods on any blue note song no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisReams View Post
You know you take FFR seriously when your friend comes to pick you up and you bring your keyboard. Dont hate; FFR is serious business
potter_rocks_out_loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Well, my PA sucks again. It's very inconsistent so I'm having trouble comparing it to the scores I had yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
I believe you had the "wtf yellow arrows" speed boost where you realized that yellow arrows were easy, not hard and you just started FCing stuff. The mental game of FFR is crazy, there's the mental blocks, then there's people saying which patterns are hard which makes you think those patterns are hard so you suck at them.
I can't really say I've had problems with yellow arrows. That sounds like it would be something that would happen long ago. I just have bad PA overall, I've never noticed it focused in specific places. Yesterday it just felt like I was seeing every frame and every arrow was a mile apart. I was also exhausted and sleep deprived which makes it even more strange.

Did someone put steroids in my fruit loops yesterday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Generally this type of skill boost stays. The jump between Challenging and Very Challenging is actually one of the harder transitions, and Very Challenging to FMO even more so. (I have around 37 Very Challenging AAAs not including tokens and 0 FMO AAAs.) So really IMO, the game doesn't get hard until difficuties 10-12. (screw RATO) So great job on the skill boost, I hope you keep it and are able to progress into a FGO FCing master of FFR
It seems to me that C to VC is much smaller than VD to C. I had a hell of a hard time getting into C's.
Old 08-7-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
HoneyMelonCalibrator
Arrow Theory™
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to HoneyMelonCalibrator Send a message via MSN to HoneyMelonCalibrator

You must've had a temporary speed boost. That tends to happen when whore FFR the entire day. :P
諸行無常の響あり。
娑羅雙樹の花の色、
盛者必衰のことわりをあらはす。
おごれる人も久しからず、
唯春の夜の夢のごとし。
たけき者も遂にほろびぬ、
偏に風の前の塵に同じ。
HoneyMelonCalibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-7-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

when you play for over 100 million in a day (at least for me) your fingers decrease in speed but your reading ability stays really good. I think 30 million-70 million is the prime time for scores
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I have a hypothesis.

I think I'm going to try to see if playing a lot while sleep deprived helps me again, because I can remember several instances where I played sleep deprived and seemed to play better. I often stay up for 2 days in a row.

Maybe it's because I'm tired and I'm not thinking about random things that cross my mind as much, hence more focus. Bodily exhaustion isn't really going to affect your FFR skills since it takes very little exertion, so you're down to mental exertion. However, there is zero thought process activity when playing since you only use reactionary skills. So I'm thinking that if there is less going on in your brain (general thought process) other areas may perform with higher activity.

Playing a large amount in a day may also have an effect. This was the first time I ever went beyond 110 plays in one day (three times as much, at that). What can some of you say about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awein999 View Post
when you play for over 100 million in a day (at least for me) your fingers decrease in speed but your reading ability stays really good. I think 30 million-70 million is the prime time for scores
My prime time was like 20million-170million. -.-
Old 08-8-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
Frozen Beat
coLSBMidday, zerg sc2 pro
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Beat Send a message via MSN to Frozen Beat

That's idiotic, your eyes can no longer focus to their original extent, your PA drops like insanely, and the level of eye attention it takes is too much.

I also find that if your mind IS on something, you PA the songs subconsciously, instead of going through the song worried about it, then screw up somewhere.

Feel several different pains, before they're colored pure red
Make a little chance! Start connecting us into to tomorrow, ready and go!
No matter how many times I keep going down, in these unending rounds
I'm gonna keep up! We can create hope, it's our story!
Frozen Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2009, 08:44 AM   #16
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

you guys need schooling in advanced stepmania theory
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2009, 09:51 AM   #17
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Beat View Post
That's idiotic, your eyes can no longer focus to their original extent, your PA drops like insanely, and the level of eye attention it takes is too much.
Do you mean that for sleep-deprivation or playing in large amounts?

And since I have the sleeping habits of a... hell, I don't have any sleeping habits other than never sleeping on a routine. But it might be better to say, instead of "sleep deprivation," simply playing during a time when you're body is conditioned to sleeping and you feel tired, but not sleepy. Like that point that comes after being sleepy where you're not really sleepy anymore, just a little tired.

Anyways, I've been awake for 22 hours and I'm at that point again so I'm going to try it out soon. Hopefully not another 200 million spree. Not unless I start FC'ing VC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
you guys need schooling in advanced stepmania theory