Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #121
Kveyo
FFR Player

Default Re: Acceptable Suicide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad3n View Post
What is going wrong with you're life now will probably be no issue in 10-15 years.
I'm not disagreeing with you or anything, but one who wants to commit suicide because of problems probably isn't patient enough to wait 10-15 years.

Now, I'm not much of a debater, but I guess suicide can be acceptable at times, or at least thinking about suicide, if you're a person who got sentenced the rest of your life in a prison and you think theres no point in life anymore if you're locked up all your life. Now I'm pretty sure everybody will agree with me when I say that committing suicide because someone cyber-bullied/IRL bullied is just ridiculous. There are so many options besides suicide. A couple of months ago there was a teenage girl who killed her self because somebody called her ugly on MySpace. Extremely dumb? Yes. Also extremely selfish. Basically you're just thinking of your self when someone calls you ugly and you kill your self.

I'm pretty tired right now so I'm not up to thinking too much, I'll come back to my post later.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #122
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

If that's true and humans discover the meaning of life or something that gives them no purpose, is suicide still acceptable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #123
Rad3n
FFR Player

That depends entirely on the meaning of life.

If it's "Forty Two" or something "negative" like that. The meaning is wrong and they should find another one.

I always said that the meaning of life is what you make it. If yours demands you commit suicide then you need to keep looking...
Rad3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #124
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad3n View Post
That depends entirely on the meaning of life.

If it's "Forty Two" or something "negative" like that. The meaning is wrong and they should find another one.
Contradiction in terms. If they find the meaning, then it is the meaning. To say "If you get the answer, but the answer is a certain thing, then it's the wrong answer" makes no sense because you've started from "if you get the answer" which requires that they actually have the answer.

The ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life the universe and everything was forty-two, but the point was raised that nobody actually really knew what the real question was, so of course the answer made no sense. But don't confuse that with "the meaning of life" being "the purpose of existence" Because that wants the answer to the question "Why do we exist?" Which is in fact a question we know.

Quote:
I always said that the meaning of life is what you make it. If yours demands you commit suicide then you need to keep looking...
Another contradiction: If the meaning of life is whatever I decide it is, then whatever I decide it is, is correct. That's what it means to say "it is what you make it" that whatever I make it out to be is what it is, for me at least.

I agree with you that there is no outside objective purpose for existance. I don't believe there is a "God's divine plan" or any other outside force that is actively responsible for our existence in order for us to fulfill a purpose. Life -is- what you make it, it only has meaning insofar as you assign meaning to it, or allow someone else to assign meaning to it.

If you've concluded that there is absolutely no point to your existing, I would argue that you're dead already.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:59 PM   #125
rzr
TWG Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rzr Send a message via MSN to rzr Send a message via Yahoo to rzr Send a message via Skype™ to rzr

The meaning of life is a question all in its own to be debated. It is a question know for centuries, yet an answer never to have been discovered. However, the purpose to our existance is quite an easy answer. It's scientific. We, as humans, are here to reproduce, populate, die, and continue the cycle. Just like every other being on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Everyone sucks at this game. The second you think you're good is the second you stop trying to get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
i had a mri the other day it was the best song i heard in years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite-
More of a joke than the time I deleted all the credits on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
yeah my goldfish think im a riot they do this thing where they turn upside down and float to the top of the tank

i guess their alcohol tolerance isnt as high as mine
rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #126
The Dragon Knight
FFR Player

Suicide is extremely selfish. Whereas I agree with what Bynary said in his first post in the thread (since that's an EXTREME case), any other reason is pretty much for your gain only. Yes, it's quite a final gain (since you'll no longer be in pain, pressure, etc.), but think about it.

You kill yourself. What happens to your friends? Your significant other? Your siblings? Your parents?

A child shouldn't die before their parents. If the said child died in an accident, the parents would be severely saddened by their loss. But if the child killed themselves, that (imho) would drive the parents to insanity. Not only did they lose a child, but they'd most likely feel guilty that they couldn't do enough to stop the child from ending their life.

I don't know if that makes sense lol, I'm in class and I had to hide the window a few times.
Originally Posted by Romans 8:31
If God is for us, then who can ever be against us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppet
UNON FOR EXAMPLE IS A WORK OF ART
Simfile was a pain in the ass for me to do it on index.
The Dragon Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #127
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Suicide is extremely selfish.
What's wrong with being selfish?
Quote:
pretty much for your gain only.
It is never advantageous as a living individual to stop yourself living. It is either no gain at all, or gain for someone else (insurence money etc) I can't agree with describing suicide as personally beneficial except as a release from suffering, but since you are dead and ceased to be, you cannot "enjoy" your gain in any meaningful sense, so I don't see how you can apply the term.

Quote:
You kill yourself. What happens to your friends? Your significant other? Your siblings? Your parents?
If they cared about me, they are sad. If they didn't, they are some other emotive state. I don't see how that should impact my decision because once again, when I'm dead, I'm dead and cannot suffer any of the consequences of those actions.

Quote:
A child shouldn't die before their parents.
Is there any actual reason for this besides "Because it is sad"?

Quote:
Not only did they lose a child, but they'd most likely feel guilty that they couldn't do enough to stop the child from ending their life.
The question again becomes one of whether the outside consequences of the action should really matter at all. I mean, the person contemplating suicide can consider these things and decide it isn't worth it, but even if we want to place the blame for the ensuing emotional distress etc squarely on the suicider, they are dead, and cannot be held responsible for the action in any useful way.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #128
Zythus
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

The thing I see here is that we, as the suicider's family/friends/acquaintance, is significantly more selfish than the suicider him/herself. To assert with saying "Thats selfish of you to suicide." you are therefore more selfish to want to prevent your own emotional distress by limiting another person's wishes, especially the cardinal wishes that changes his/her life. Secondly, way too much empathy. Not to suggest to be ignorant, but to indulge oneself on the deeds of another, does not deem legitimate to me.

Like the locked September 11th threads, "The meaning of life" is diversely ambiguous without any particular evidence, and does not have a definite answer. Thus, answer varies by person. I don't think we can inflict our own perceptions of it on the beliefs of others.
Zythus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:43 PM   #129
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Here's something to think about that seems obvious to me but actually appears to take a lot of people by surprise:

Selfishness is merely the state of refusing to let someone else be selfish.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #130
Zythus
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I do beg to differ. In my opinion, equality would be the contrast of selfishness. But evidently, as a see-saw that rarely balances, it would be seem that way. "If you don't take it, I'll just take it." From another aspect, selfishness only arises OR results if both parties do not hold mutuality on the ends of a situation.

Two brothers share a chocolate bar. After decision, they applied it equally, both gets half, and are content with the portion received.
Two brother share a chocolate bar. One was mighty hungry and ate it without further ado while the other brother started to decide. Thats selfishness.
Zythus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #131
AquaTeen
FFR Player

I think in the law standpoint that suicide (whether the attempt was successful or not) is a crime and should not be accepted. But in a sense if the person killed themselves so someone else could live that person should be considered a hero because they were willing to put their life on the line so that someone else could survive.
To live is Christ, to die is gain Philippians 1:21 ♥
AquaTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #132
Cloud0005
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Cloud0005 Send a message via MSN to Cloud0005

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaTeen View Post
I think in the law standpoint that suicide (whether the attempt was successful or not) is a crime and should not be accepted. But in a sense if the person killed themselves so someone else could live that person should be considered a hero because they were willing to put their life on the line so that someone else could survive.
Please check the time stamp on threads before you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigly View Post
SHUT UP GUYZ HE HAS PROBLEMS!!!!!!

DIDN'T YOU READ HIS NAME??? HE CRIES AT NIGHT!!!!!

YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!

=o
Cloud0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #133
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud0005 View Post
Please check the time stamp on threads before you post.
Not all bumps are "bad"

This bump wasn't as large as some others that have been made... plus, this is CT

I don't think it matters as much unless this topic has been closed.

EDIT: Suicide is illegal for a reason, that's all I'm going to say on this topic.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #134
AquaTeen
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kitty~ View Post
Not all bumps are "bad"

This bump wasn't as large as some others that have been made... plus, this is CT

I don't think it matters as much unless this topic has been closed.

EDIT: Suicide is illegal for a reason, that's all I'm going to say on this topic.
Thanks Kitty
To live is Christ, to die is gain Philippians 1:21 ♥
AquaTeen is offline   Reply With Quote