Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #41
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Fix the stupid Rock songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRapingDragon View Post
Can someone explain to me the logic of this? Why keep something in a game that is naturally worse than the subsequent releases.

That would be like Square-Enix releasing FFXIII with the FFI battle sequences. It's "part of their history" so everyone should appreciate it that, well no, not really. To the gamer it would look like bad graphics, bad programming, and bad syncing.

Back to FFR. A new person joins, they play some awesome songs and then they go and play some "blue-note-syndrome" songs. Do you think they think "must be part of the history, good stuff!" or do they think "wow, these songs are bad and out of sync, they need improved".

As FFR is a game, they should naturally be trying to present the best possible package to entice more and more people. Leaving in the past when things were worse isn't my idea of continual improvement or making the game better overall.
You present a good point. The files wouldn't pass for **** today. However, there is one fundamental difference between Final Fantasy and FFR: you can always go and play the old Final Fantasy games at any time. With FFR, all you can play is what's given to you. If they deleted those songs, we couldn't ever get them back, and in that sense, we would lose our biggest connection with this site's past. As crappy as the songs are, I like to be able to get a glimpse into what all the oldest players had to play with, and nothing more. In a way, it makes me want to have joined in the past to actually be around when the community was in it's infancy.

After all, we have history books for a reason.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #42
jimerax
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jimerax Send a message via MSN to jimerax Send a message via Skype™ to jimerax

offsync blue note files = historical value

there's no logic and we have to get over it.
jimerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #43
zero321
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to zero321

There's plenty of logical sence in it.... It shows where the site has been, and the newer songs are going... But therein lies a problem. If all the new songs are off synch and such, it's not showing much improvement..But we can't delete songs because people have probebly already worked hard AAA'ing the songs, even though they may be off synch. Personal advice (that doesn't count for anything),
1) make a new section for the older, offbeat, background, and BNS,(for the purpose of people new to the site to see what it was like back in the day(I dont even know, I haven't been around for too too long))

2)keep the newer rock songs that are off synch because they've already been made,(because people have already AAA'ed them)

3) and just have a person or people set to make sure the new step files coming into the site don't have this problem anymore. I would hate for a song I love to come onto the site, and if I ever wanted to AAA it, i'd have to turn the music off...
Thanks for readin.
zero321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #44
Biff_tech
so the 17 ate the 12 eh.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Biff_tech

So pretty much to fix everything it's either.
1) Make a different genre (leaving intact peoples AAA that they work so hard on and keeping "ffr history or something")

2) Re-Stepping all of the blue-note syndrome songs (causing people to get pissy because they worked so hard to get a AAA on a 4)

3) Deleting them, causing some sorta history imbalance and blowing up FFR or something stupid...

Sig by Darkmonkey AKA Clowd
Biff_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #45
sumzup
(+ (- (/ (* 1 2) 3) 4) 5)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to sumzup Send a message via MSN to sumzup

A new genre for old songs probably won't be made...I think Tass said something somewhere to the effect that moving songs around would confuse newbs and be bad.

I think there's too much of a deal being made over this...seriously, just fix all the songs without "historical value" and I'll be happy.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:22 PM   #46
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
A new genre for old songs probably won't be made...I think Tass said something somewhere to the effect that moving songs around would confuse newbs and be bad.

I think there's too much of a deal being made over this...seriously, just fix all the songs without "historical value" and I'll be happy.
I don't see a problem with a new genre. While i agree that keeping the songs are for the best since you don't want to upset the people who spent time mastering those songs, and showing how FFR has evolved.

I just cant help but think of the people who start out and play a newer song thats on-beat saying "Hey, this song is cool!" and then playing one of the off-sync "Historical" songs and saying "WTF is this ****?, This sucks!" atleast with a Historical Genre people have a general idea what they are getting themselves into when picking the song (unless they use the quick select which then they probably wont notice the difference either way).

Just my two-cents.

Get Kancho'd

FontSize72LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #47
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I think a Historical genre would fix more problems than it causes. I know a lot of people could be confused by songs moving around, but this does already happen whenever there's an official tournament, and a lot of players are using the drop-down song list anyway.

Even if a lot of people are confused, though, it might be worth it due to the impression on new users, which there are much more of than active users. The better quality the first few songs new users see are, the more likely it is that those users will stay with FFR. If you look at the first page of Dance (which is in all likelihood the first place newcomers to FFR will go), 8 of the 12 songs are very old historical files (and Vi Sitter is offsync)... so we're clearly not giving beginners the best possible view of what FFR has become. I definitely agree that old songs should still be in FFR but I don't think they should be displayed so prominently. If anything, the first page of the genre that comes up when you load FFR (i.e. Dance page 1) should have the best public easy songs that we have.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #48
iceefudgesickle
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post

That's why we have the song selection scroller.

I say make the new genre. We don't want to alienate new players.
iceefudgesickle is offline   Reply With Quote