Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #121
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer
Default Re: Banned for Wanting Grammar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
What do you mean it doesn't matter? You would expect someone born and raised in America to speak English. How many all Spanish schools do you think they have? Even if a child was taught predominately a different language they are still going to be around English since they were very little (if raised in America). So it does matter.
You had my support until you brought that argument into play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Coolgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #122
sonic-fast-fingers
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to sonic-fast-fingers Send a message via MSN to sonic-fast-fingers

You should expand on your vagueness. Why would state something like that with no reason behind it?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #123
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I remember someone telling me (quite a while since then) that the reason you should have grammar mandatory in the forum, and not the chat room, is because you have time to think between posts, go back and check. As for a chat, you type your message in before it's too late, so it's not necessary to have grammar and spelling at its best in chat.

I know you don't absolutely have to press the "post" button after typing a horribly structured sentence/paragraph (or whatever you typed).

If I make errors, I didn't intend to. No one should be trolled at for not knowing. If you do not believe in what I say, I do not care. It's not really my responsibility to make sure everyone believes in/understands what I say every time.
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #124
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic-fast-fingers View Post
You should expand on your vagueness. Why would state something like that with no reason behind it?
Because you remind me way too much, with that statement, of the jerks I've seen that want to kick out anyone who doesn't speak English and ONLY English.

Now, your original idea (English boards should have proper grammar) is okay.

However, here's a true example. I post on a lot of German boards. They know I don't speak the language well, but they don't ban me when I mess up. They have somewhat more tolerance for those without the native language experience.

Not everyone on this forum speaks English as a first language, but you can understand them well and they are, for the most part, fairly intelligent.

Leave the languages out of the mix. If someone's typing badly to be an asshat, then it's a problem.

Examples:

OMG wld u look at da 4cast 4 2day?

¡ @|\/| 7¥p¡|\|9 7|-|¡§ ¡|\| £337 70 b€ @|\| @§§|-|0£€.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?
Coolgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #125
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
So let me ask you this: do you mind when all of the hard work you spent studying and all the hard work you put into writing the answer on an exam in school comes back marked wrong? Doesn't that feel like an insult? Why not? Because you're wrong.
There is a difference between being wrong (and learning from it) than getting corrected for small mistakes that don't really mean anything. Making a mistake is on your end - the person who says you got something wrong on a test isn't trying to insult you. Getting corrected, however, can come off as just that, especially when it's an insignificant grammar/spelling error in an internet forum.

Making one little grammatical mistake doesn't lead to several more severe mistakes. Unless you actually don't know the mistake you're making, in which case you might need a little correction, then it's not really worth mentioning. I'm prone to making typos or small grammatical mistakes, but it's usually an oversight on my part, not a mistake that's going to exponentially get worse over time.

Quote:
That's the thing. You might only get one chance. If you lose that one chance because you wrote "could of" instead of "could have", wouldn't you feel like an idiot?
Of course. But correcting somebody isn't going to help unless it's a chronic issue - most of the errors I see are one-off things. But if somebody doesn't see the importance of using grammar and thinks "tpng l1ke dis cuz u no itz c007 2 me" is acceptable everywhere, it's obvious he won't learn it the easy way - the only way for some to learn is to make the mistake. Let them do that instead of trying to intervene, because they probably don't want your help.

Quote:
Yeah, I stopped capitalizing and ending sentences on AIM. I still put commas, apostrophes, and all the other marks in there, though.

I have a slightly different reason. People were taking me too seriously on AIM. I'd be scaring away anyone who talked to me very quickly. I wish I knew why proper sentence structure scares away people, but that's the way it is.

There is a bit of psychology behind it, actually. It's difficult for me to put it exactly in words, so I'll try and explain it from my point of view.

People who use proper grammar in forums are often seen to be mature/intelligent/educated. Whether this is true or not is besides the point.

But when they use it something as casual as an IM or general chat, they can come off as either

a) Imposing/Intimidating, somebody who you don't want to mess with
b) An uptight, overly correct asshole
c) A close minded intelligent dick, or
d) All of the above

I'm not going to pass this off as fact, but this is true for 99% of the cases I seem to encounter to SOME extent.....I know I do this as well. I make sure I don't act like the person some may see me as. But, given the way you (used) to act on the forums regarding grammar, I can't say I blame people for not wanting to talk to you.

Quote:
I'm not trying to rescue you from mistakes and I'm not trying to make you feel bad about yourself for making them. I would have 3 years ago before I wrote that grammar/spelling rule. Now I try to do it subtly so that you don't really notice it but the message still sinks in so as to avoid mistakes in the future.

Why do I do it, then? I've been in college for over four years now, and every class I've had involving post-college discussions has mentioned that you can lose a job you're more than qualified to have by making a single mistake on your resume. You can lose all the respect you have at this position by sending out an e-mail with a major typo.

While it's alright to point out mistakes, it really isn't your place to go around fixing them/correcting people, whatever it is that you do. This goes back to your AIM conversations: people don't just go and think you're an asshole for typing properly for no reason, unless they happen to be ignorant and judgmental. I notice you have improved a lot in what you do, but that reputation can linger - and you can sometimes be excessively harsh in what you say even now. That can haunt your reputation for a long time to come.

Besides, I know I wouldn't want to be corrected by somebody who had a reputation for doing it to others.

~Bynary Fission

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen

Last edited by Bynary Fission; 09-18-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #126
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynary Fission View Post
tl;dr
Your signature is xbox hueg.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #127
unclejeffrocorey
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to unclejeffrocorey

"sonic" is complaining about improper grammar, but he doesn't have his screen-name even capitalized.

Yes, i'm aware that mine is not either, but I'm not complaining about people and there freedom to do as they wish.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #128
Beethovens mask
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

~Kitty~
  1. annoying
  2. gay name
  3. ewww
  4. ugly avatar
  5. no respect
  6. weird
  7. omg i didn't know you could make lists
Beethovens mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #129
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

Quote:
plenty of words
I don't know about you, but I like it when people correct my mistakes. Especially when I'm wrong. I don't want to go around sounding like an idiot, I'm pretty sure no one does. Anyone who thinks that people who correct others are crazy have too much of an ego to admit that they are wrong sometimes.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #130
sonic-fast-fingers
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to sonic-fast-fingers Send a message via MSN to sonic-fast-fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejeffrocorey View Post
"sonic" is complaining about improper grammar, but he doesn't have his screen-name even capitalized.

Yes, i'm aware that mine is not either, but I'm not complaining about people and there freedom to do as they wish.
This is in the top three dumb replies in this thread.

Someone's username is entirely different than talking in a thread. There is no comparison between the two besides the fact they they contain letters and numbers symbols and words. **Double Palms**
Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #131
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Making one little grammatical mistake doesn't lead to several more severe mistakes. Unless you actually don't know the mistake you're making, in which case you might need a little correction, then it's not really worth mentioning. I'm prone to making typos or small grammatical mistakes, but it's usually an oversight on my part, not a mistake that's going to exponentially get worse over time.
That's just the thing. I read hundreds of posts a day. I know when someone makes chronic mistakes. That's what I help fix now. Three or four years ago I was the asshole who would fix any mistake. That doesn't happen anymore.

Quote:
People who use proper grammar in forums are often seen to be mature/intelligent/educated. Whether this is true or not is besides the point.
I've said many times now that I'm actually incredibly stupid. I cover for it with spelling and grammar. Do you know how many people on FFR think I'm smart just because of my spelling and grammar, despite saying multiple times that I'm not? It's almost unnerving.

Quote:
While it's alright to point out mistakes, it really isn't your place to go around fixing them/correcting people, whatever it is that you do. This goes back to your AIM conversations: people don't just go and think you're an asshole for typing properly for no reason, unless they happen to be ignorant and judgmental. I notice you have improved a lot in what you do, but that reputation can linger - and you can sometimes be excessively harsh in what you say even now. That can haunt your reputation for a long time to come.

Besides, I know I wouldn't want to be corrected by somebody who had a reputation for doing it to others.
You're the exception, not the rule. Nobody else I've corrected has said "haha ok that's annoying stop it". Ok that's not exactly true, but the only person who did say that changed his ways.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #132
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
All the people I talk to from Belgium use lots of emoticons. Not that it's bad or anything, that's just an observation.

And by "all of the people" I mean one other person.

I must find more Belgians on the internet and verify this hypothesis.
Well IRL I'm a very sarcastic person, and most of what I say is meant in an ironic way. When talking to friends using MSN I'm kinda forced to indicate whether I'm being serious or not, and it has become a habit to do the same on forums. We rely heavily on non-verbal signs.

@Squeek: I'm not going to quote your whole post because the pages get stretched out for me and it's annoying to keep scrolling, but here's my reply:
I completely understand your point about writing formal letters, in a formal context, but alas, the internet is mostly informal, and therefore you can't really blame people for abbreviating their words.

If someone's grammar gets messed up because they're used to typing everything wrong - well let them learn it the hard way. Keep in mind that the internet population that uses MSN and/or browses forums is between 10 and 20 years old. Most kids that age are stubborn. Chances are that the only thing they won't do when you correct them, is to type in a correct way. Correcting kids has the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve.

You'd think people are smart enough to know that when writing a formal letter/job application/resumé(sp?) you should present yourself as perfect, including perfect spelling etc. If they aren't, they don't deserve the job anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRubix View Post
EDIT: Wow Magewout just slayed my riddles
Magewout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:33 AM   #133
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

My whole point: I can't imagine why you would want anyone to think you're less intelligent than you really are over something as trivial as shortening words. Even if I didn't make it a rule, public perception would remain.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:34 AM   #134
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
My whole point: I can't imagine why you would want anyone to think you're less intelligent than you really are over something as trivial as shortening words. Even if I didn't make it a rule, public perception would remain.
My whole point: except in a formal context, 99% of people won't be bothered by shortening words and won't think less of you. Especially if you're on the internet.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2008, 04:31 AM   #135
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

On forums I definitely think less of people who type retarded, and as we all know my opinion is the only one that matters.
Grandiagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #136
Magewout
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
On forums I definitely think less of people who type retarded, and as we all know my opinion is the only one that matters.
I'm afraid that's only correct if your opinion is the same as mine.

Quote:
Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #137
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

You're the exception, not the rule.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #138
AC1speakerbox
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AC1speakerbox Send a message via MSN to AC1speakerbox

That's pretty unfair.
Don't know what else to say but sorry.
AC1speakerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #139
Score-Board
FFR Player

Grammar? In forums? You can't assure that every single user will follow these rules. Although, I do admit it is unfair for you to get permabanned for demanding something.

Now, I will quickly make my signature.
Score-Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-5-2008, 05:23 PM   #140
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationstrawbarry View Post
Really? Because ignorant statements like this doesn't make you any better than people that have bad grammar. In fact, this statement is kind of prejiduce on certain levels. Just because you have bad grammar doesn't mean you're not intelligent. So are you saying people that have bad grammar are stupid? Plz think before you start writing this kind of BS because crap like this doesn't make you look intelligent either.

Here's my 2cent, because I'm sick and tired of grammar whores and these gayass threads about grammar as well as people like, foilman who should think, before making statements like above.
I apologize for this bump, but this **** finally came to my attention.

operationstrawberry, there is a huge difference between not looking intelligent and not being intelligent. Clearly this flew right over your head. I don't know how you could argue you the point that someone looks intelligent when they type like they don't give a ****. Are you serious?

I'm not a grammar whore by any stretch of the imagination - I don't go around correcting people's grammar in all of their posts or anything, but I remain steadfast in my convictions about good grammar.

Correct grammar and typing creates the illusion of intelligence on the Internet. There is no way around it because all we have to judge you by are the words you put down in the forums, and the way that you put them down. If you place your words with care, and take the time to use proper grammar and spelling, you will, at least on the first impression, seem more intelligent. Obviously, this could be false, and you're a complete moron with nothing to say, but you still used proper grammar, and you fooled me the first time.

With that being said, I hope you realize you misunderstood what I said. I am in no way implying that because of the way you type you are of a certain level of intelligence. That's just asinine and ignorant.

Also, just for your own benefit, you may want to brush up on your reading comprehension before you jump the gun and rant at me again like that.

Last edited by foilman8805; 10-5-2008 at 05:30 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote