Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
slenderblade
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Unhappy Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Well peeps it's happened to me.

Played FFR a bit too much for my lil wrist...

whether or not I was any good at the game, the game beat me! X_X

so now /me has a nice sports utility glove

and am watching my rank descend from 510th place

Please have a moment of silence for me

or at least laugh XD

-that one guy

P.S. (it sucks. maybe i'll just wait a few months and then see how I can take it)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
ninjafury
Liquidsmooth
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

WOW O_O
I hope that doesn't happen to me!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Heppened to me, I just cut back on all games and now I can play for about an hour and then I break.....works pretty good.

Tai Chi seems to help, also

*gives moment of silence*

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
hyprskillz
FFR Player

Just sit out playing FFR or Stepmania for a day or two and let your hands and wrists heal. Before you know it, two days will pass and you will be playing at your top performance again without any problems.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
thechild
FFR Player

My friend almost got it from SM. But stopped playing for a little and it didn't happen.
thechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

i don't think you can solely blame FFR... it has to be a basis in genetics. I've LIVED on my computer for well over a decade (easily 6+ hours a day, 7 days a week, for over 10 years). I've had zero effects from this, despite WAY more wrist/finger activity than probably 99.9% of anyone else who will read this.

really, the basis is genetics... your DNA make-up makes you prone to certain ailments more than others, and then the excessive movements/force of FFR or other keyboard based music games has brought the issue to the surface.

I also have over 15 years of highly competitive bowling under my belt, which has put MUCH more strain and physical deformities to my arm/wrist/fingers than FFR ever will. I've broken fingers from bowling. I've had golf elbow from bowling. I've had insane blisters on countless occasions from bowling. My left arm is physically 15-20% larger than my right, up and down... bicep, forearm, hand, fingers... I'm guessing my left arm is now longer than my right, but I've never measured. I have arthritis from bowling in my 3rd and 4th fingers, and my knuckles on both fingers are massive comparatively. My left thumb is almost twice the size of my right thumb, my left thumbnail is messed up and dips into a V at the top, as opposed to being round.

The point of all this is that bowling has been much worse physically on the body parts it effects than FFR because it is much more physically demanding. The users who suffer from ailments directly relating from FFR or SM would, to me, seem to be genetically born, not game-born.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
rshadow8888
FFR's Buizel
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rshadow8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasselfoot View Post
i don't think you can solely blame FFR... it has to be a basis in genetics. I've LIVED on my computer for well over a decade (easily 6+ hours a day, 7 days a week, for over 10 years). I've had zero effects from this, despite WAY more wrist/finger activity than probably 99.9% of anyone else who will read this.

really, the basis is genetics... your DNA make-up makes you prone to certain ailments more than others, and then the excessive movements/force of FFR or other keyboard based music games has brought the issue to the surface.

I also have over 15 years of highly competitive bowling under my belt, which has put MUCH more strain and physical deformities to my arm/wrist/fingers than FFR ever will. I've broken fingers from bowling. I've had golf elbow from bowling. I've had insane blisters on countless occasions from bowling. My left arm is physically 15-20% larger than my right, up and down... bicep, forearm, hand, fingers... I'm guessing my left arm is now longer than my right, but I've never measured. I have arthritis from bowling in my 3rd and 4th fingers, and my knuckles on both fingers are massive comparatively. My left thumb is almost twice the size of my right thumb, my left thumbnail is messed up and dips into a V at the top, as opposed to being round.

The point of all this is that bowling has been much worse physically on the body parts it effects than FFR because it is much more physically demanding. The users who suffer from ailments directly relating from FFR or SM would, to me, seem to be genetically born, not game-born.
Agree and relate 400%.

Really, you can get carpal tunnel from the computer only if you dont type properly and such. Bowling indeed puts much more stress on your hands. I have pretty bad carpal tunnel in my wrists (I have bowled switch for the last 13 years), my right thumb is bent to a 45 degree angle, and I have a few other issues that Tass already mentioned. Of course, FFR doesn't help if you already have it. If you do have it, getting treatment as soon as possible would be best. Try not to play in any sports depending on the hands or FFR for awhile.
rshadow8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
vvav
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I think I'm starting to get some form of RSI too. I lose feeling in my left hand after playing more than 5-10 minutes of FFR. My PA has gotten awful in the last month or so too (can't practice), making it a lot harder to compete with the other people in Advanced.
vvav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #9
beaner692
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to beaner692

Carpel Tunnels from dancing your fingers around? I have no idea anything of the kind was possible.

Sucks though =/

wewt10k aim: IMB3AU

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=vertex+beta
I play Vertex BETA :O
beaner692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Tass, I dont think anyone is blaming FFR at all.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:05 PM   #11
robyextreme
FFR Player

Thats pretty funny.
robyextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
Infinity^
FFR Player

Quote:
I played competition bowling.
you ever hit 300?
Infinity^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #13
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

I have a firm ganglion cyst on the back of my wrist and if i play FFR or SM enough it starts to ache. Same with guitar hero. Though the reason for it is unknown, lots of activity causes the pain.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #14
rshadow8888
FFR's Buizel
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to rshadow8888

I'm not sure if you do or not, but I am also having problems lately with my hands themselves. In the middle of a song, basically anything with stream over 140 BPM, I get this cracking sound whenever I go to hit a note and a burning feeling. When this happens, my fingers start to refuse to hit keys, so I have to slam down on them to get them to respond. After about 20 seconds of that, though, my hands will just freeze all together.
rshadow8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
BanzaiKamikaze
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Let's not blame this on genetics only guys. Just make sure your wrist is in a comfortable position, and avoid crisping it (= avoid random keysmashing). Try lifting your fingers up before hitting arrows (you'll use extensors to lift up your fingers while gravity helps you hit down a key), as if you were playing piano.
BanzaiKamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #16
slenderblade
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

<3 thanks peeps ^_^

sports utility glove is helping me much, even though i'm not playing enough to keep my score in the race for first XD

personal records ftw
Old 09-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Another
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Another

Whoa...
I've been worrying about that...
>w<

I really hope that doesn't happen to me.
But lately...
If I try to play faster than my fingers can go... my pinky locks up and starts hurting until I just give up on the song...

owo;;

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH Luxord View Post
I could actually talk to the members of the band myself, if I wanted to because the band and I both live in Orange County. I let Alex (the lead vocals) know about it first, though. I know where he lives.
Quote:
creepy.
Another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
DN_PoeTa
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

CTS for short usually occurs genetically and women have a high chance of getting it. There are many signs of the syndrome. I beleive about 5 % of people that play ffr will get it and will be because they use the computer a large percent of there lives. People whom work in offices for there whole lives typing things usually get this syndrome. My wrist usually hurts after playing super hard songs like pants but only for about 20 secs. My fingers feel weird now that i have been playing this game but im not complaining. I love ffr.
DN_PoeTa is offline   Reply With Quote