Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-5-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
PlaceboFX
FFR Player

Default Is my dentist just looking to make a buck?

I went to the dentist today. No cavities. Healthy teeth. I just needed a cleaning. Every time I go in there he starts to pressure me about getting my wisdom teeth taken out. Every other day one of my friends is getting their wisdom teeth pulled, whether they are impacted or not. Mine are not impacted, they seem to be coming in just fine, and although they might be shifting my bottom teeth slightly I really don't give a flying crap. He said in coming years they are going to "bother" me. How are teeth that already grew in going to bother me? I'm especially suspicious because he was also trying to make a sales pitch about getting my teeth whitened, but when he held up the different shades of teeth mine were among the whitest. He quickly dropped it, and only then did he started badgering me again about my wisdom teeth.

Can someone please tell me if my dentist is legit or if he is just trying to make some money. I feel like this while wisdom extraction thing everyone goes through is a big scam. Has anyone gone against their dentist's wishes to pull out perfectly healthy teeth and suffered for it? Thanks.

Real spiders wear their hats on their butts.
PlaceboFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007
Default Re: Is my dentist just looking to make a buck?

You can't really ask us to tell you if he's legit, you should be able to figure out if he's corrupt or not on your own. From the way it sounds, though, he seems to have your best interests at heart. Perhaps he doesn't think that you understand the consequences of not having your wisdom teeth pulled. I'm not saying there are any, I'm saying if there are consequences you may want to go over them with your dentist so you are both on the same page. If it is something you really aren't worried about, let him know and I'm sure he'll stop hassling you.
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

All dentists are scammers.
Just saying. Someone close to me had one chipped tooth from an accident at home, and insurance wouldn't cover it. She had all of the work done and it took forever, for that one tooth. Because she walks in to get one cap, and the dentist "notices" a thousand things that are wrong with her teeth. Eventually ends up with a bill of some 20k.

The price rates were the same all over the area for the things she had to get done before a dentist would work on her chipped tooth. Seriously, what the ****. It shouldn't cost like 500 bucks to get a cavity filled/pulled. I could get someone to kick me in the face a couple of times.

Personally I've only been to the dentist like twice, and my teeth are fine. No cavity fillings or braces needed. I've only dealt with this indirectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.

Last edited by Syhto; 02-5-2009 at 10:09 PM..
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]

canadian dentists are nicer.

wisdom teeth are a good idea to get taken out anyway. might not seem like a big deal but it can do significant damage.
kommisar[os] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
coraleaterlinda
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

i had to get my wisdom teeth out over the summer. they were growing forward into my other teeth.
Old 02-5-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KgZ View Post
yeah wisdom teeth just **** you up, I'm getting mine out soon
Not always. If you have a big mouth, it's likely there could be enough room for them to pop in without screwing things up.

Mine are just fine.
Old 02-5-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
Kagami_Hiiragi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kagami_Hiiragi

you'll have to get them taken out sooner or later.
Kagami_Hiiragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I can't really speak from any experience. I only have two wisdom teeth, and both of them are dormant, if you will. At this point, I doubt mine will ever come in. So the offer has never even been proposed to me.

I don't think your dentist is really looking to make a buck. He's looking to make hundreds. It's the truth, BUT, if they are growing in and pushing your teeth around, then you may want to consider having them removed. If you ever start to feel pain, then I would strongly consider getting them removed.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-5-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Ask my sister, who got braces for a second time at thirty, about how little things can screw up your whole set of teeth.

Wisdom teeth are nasty like that and just because they're fine now doesn't mean they won't wreak havoc later.

Is he trying to make a buck off the teeth whitening? Absolutely. Is there anything wrong with that? Absolutely not. It's just cosmetic, so he wants to offer his services to make you feel better about yourself. I trust you're not going around hating every single company who ever marketed or advertised, so why is your dentist an exception? Teeth whitening is a take-it-or-leave-it issue, so there's nothing to get up in arms about.

You'd be a fool, however, to discount his advice when it comes to the wisdom teeth. Sure, there's a very small chance that they'll never give you any problems, but the damage they can deal if they are a problem is immense. And who would know the most about how teeth grow and when problems could arise from not removing wisdom teeth?

That's right, a dentist.

Shut up and defer to his knowledge and training.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami_Hiiragi View Post
you'll have to get them taken out sooner or later.
This is not absolutely true. That's like saying "might as well get a tonsillectomy because you're going to have to get them taken out sooner or later."

Not everyone has issues with them. If they don't cause problems, there's no need to slam your wallet down for an unnecessary procedure. Of course, if they do start causing trouble, get them knocked out, but no need to take them out as a precaution.
Old 02-6-2009, 03:21 AM   #11
OrganisM
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter View Post
And who would know the most about how teeth grow and when problems could arise from not removing wisdom teeth?

That's right, a dentist.

Shut up and defer to his knowledge and training.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com
I hate to disagree with you; knowledge of and being part of the profession doesn't make the dentist honest. Kind of like a computer salesman. They know enough about computers, but they'll sell you what they can. The same can be true for any type of doctor, depending on their personal ethics. My mother almost died of internal bleeding by taking the advice of a doctor. 36 hours in the emergency room getting blood transfusions barely saved her, and even then she had to undergo surgery and deal with weeks of recovery.

It's true that wisdom teeth often will cause problems. But it is also true that there are cases in which they do not ever need to be removed. If they are going to adversely affect the rest of your teeth to a large enough degree, the earlier you get them out the better. At the same time, surgery whenever you don't need it is never a good idea. I know it's low risk after all the surgeries done, but permanent nerve damage is still possible, as well as death from anesthesia. Think that last one's still not possible? I personally know somebody who went into cardiac arrest and barely survived from the anesthesia, and he's a healthy man in his mid forties.

Granted, that won't necessarily happen, and is unlikely, but wisdom teeth do not always need to be removed. There are exceptions to the rule, and there are doctors who are trying to make a buck off of unneeded surgeries. Pretending otherwise is naive. Weigh the risks and rewards, and make an educated decision.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I still have my tonsils and wisdom teeth with no crowding/discomfort/etc. If you don't need to have them removed, then don't bother. There's "always that chance" that leaving your wisdom teeth in would move your other teeth around a bit. If this isn't a big deal to you, then don't sink the money. If you'd rather have the insurance of knowing that any potential issues are resolved, go ahead and remove them. At this age, that's really all it is -- an insurance. We pay something now to avoid having to pay out the ass later if something bad happens. Up to you.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 04:42 AM   #13
cool110
FFR Player

3 letters NHS
Old 02-6-2009, 08:26 AM   #14
PlaceboFX
FFR Player

I have distrust for dentists in general. I switched over to this one about a year ago and I haven't had a cavity since. My other dentist found small cavities every single time I went. My old dentist also completely botched a root canal, somehow missed a root, and I had to go under two very painful surgeries. I just don't trust them anymore, and I guess I'm just plain chicken.

Real spiders wear their hats on their butts.
PlaceboFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 08:59 AM   #15
welsh_girl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to welsh_girl Send a message via MSN to welsh_girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool110 View Post
3 letters NHS
Wait 'til you're out of education and you have to start paying for NHS dentist.
I get it free until next April though and I plan to take full advantage of the ****ers. I hate dentists and they will try anything to get a bit of money from you for perfectly good teeth.

I've never had a problem or anything ever done to my teeth, my brother on the otherhand has Wisdom teeth and they've never botherd him, ever.

It just depends if you start to feel un-comfortable or not.
welsh_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

I have some of the straightest whitest teeth out there and I have never been to a dentist in my life. ever.

funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 09:13 AM   #17
wwwJ4mmYcouk
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonkey54 View Post
I have some of the straightest whitest teeth out there and I have never been to a dentist in my life. ever.
Do you drink fizzy drinks, coffee, smoke etc?

Μήπως πραγματικά πνιγεί;
wwwJ4mmYcouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 09:14 AM   #18
reptile3141
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I got mine out like 3 years ago. It wasn't that bad. XD
reptile3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-6-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
coraleaterlinda
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

if your teeth arent bothering you, then dont worry about it. but if you start getting infections, they start hurting, then get xrays done to at least make sure.

i had a horrible time when had them taken out - actually, after the procedure was done. just because i had never been under anasthesia before, and i ended up being really sensitive to it. meaning about 5 - 10 min after waking up feeling fine, i started gagging all over the place. and then the pain medication also made me sick. so i couldnt take it. i had to take advil to at least take the edge of the pain so i wouldnt be crying. but still, i was in terrible pain for about a week. but if you arent sensitive to anasthesia and pain meds, then you shouldnt have any problems. the operation itself was no prob, no big deal. it was just get in, get out.
Old 02-6-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
JKPolk
tool

Send a message via AIM to JKPolk Send a message via Skype™ to JKPolk

If you're covered by insurance, going to the dentist is probably one of the smarter things you can do. If you're not covered, get covered and then go to the dentist because it's one of the smarter things you can do.