Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: ITT academic advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
^is that how you got your username?_?.
more or less. i saw no reason to get good grades or try because they werent affecting my immediate future. that doesnt mean i didnt learn what i was taught i just didnt care to apply myself
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #22
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
more or less. i saw no reason to get good grades or try because they werent affecting my immediate future. that doesnt mean i didnt learn what i was taught i just didnt care to apply myself
This is still pretty dangerous. A lot of opportunities close, here. Some places won't even accept people for interviews unless they graduate from a certain type of school or have a certain level of academic achievement. It's a huge drag to have to pass up a great opportunity because you don't have the grades.

That being said, though, not all is lost. If you're truly a smart guy, you can still learn how to advance your skills by reading, researching, practicing, and getting involved. If you can immerse yourself in your craft and develop a decent portfolio to showcase your skills, you can land great jobs without having the grades.

It also helps to know people. People with brains who are in power can always give you a leg up... given that you're capable enough to actually handle the job you're after.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
Sullyman2007
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Sullyman2007

i ****ed up bad in high school. trust me, trying to half-ass your way through those four years will only serve to bite you in the ass when all is said and done. also try to be involved in at least one-two extra curricular activities because admissions LOVE that. basically the best advice is mostly stuff you've already heard a thousand times, you just got a little numb to the preaching.

Last edited by Sullyman2007; 11-29-2010 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Sullyman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #24
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My grades freshman year were enough to land me a 3.48 GPA instead of the 3.5 needed for my $2500/yr scholarship. I got the highest grades I possibly could senior year and they weren't enough. Shame.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
cry4eternity
~ added for cuteness
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to cry4eternity

How do you land an internship / co-op if you have a strong academic record but no work experience?

I'm retired
cry4eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #26
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry4eternity View Post
How do you land an internship / co-op if you have a strong academic record but no work experience?
Internships are more easily accessible once you're in college. Getting worthwhile internships when you're in high school is almost always a function of knowing someone (referral) or having a lucky break. The first internship I ever had was at a law firm in NYC... but it was because of a referral from my girlfriend at the time, and it took place AFTER I had already gone through college admissions in the first place.

Getting internships in college is not as difficult. You don't necessarily need work experience, although it helps provide fuel for the interview process (and on-the-job skills). If you have a great record, you have a better chance of landing an interview. Then it becomes a function of simply acing the interview... and voila, internship!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #27
Starshot
/DJS\
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Starshot Send a message via MSN to Starshot Send a message via Yahoo to Starshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry4eternity View Post
Know your **** in the interview and know how to interview well.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

In CS-related fields, interviews are basically nothing but problem-solving exams

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #29
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
That being said, though, not all is lost. If you're truly a smart guy, you can still learn how to advance your skills by reading, researching, practicing, and getting involved. If you can immerse yourself in your craft and develop a decent portfolio to showcase your skills, you can land great jobs without having the grades.

It also helps to know people. People with brains who are in power can always give you a leg up... given that you're capable enough to actually handle the job you're after.
yeah i have a couple doors with a crack open i just need to take some classes to open the doors all the way. it helps if you know how to make yourself like a great asset regardless of background.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #30
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

btw..

how to balance freedom & academics in college ?_?
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #31
Izzy
Snek

I have to finish writing this speech and I can't find any credible sources about how genetic diversity can have medical benefits. Everything that I find through the libraries databases are way to specific and not broad enough.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #32
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I have to finish writing this speech and I can't find any credible sources about how genetic diversity can have medical benefits. Everything that I find through the libraries databases are way to specific and not broad enough.
Look up stuff from Dawkins -- he's got plenty to say about the medical advantages of genetic diversity without getting into nitty-gritty detail.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #33
Izzy
Snek

http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/3/1/14

I found this using googles scholarly beta search. Seems to be exactly what I need even if it is a little detailed. Just need to paraphrase a little.

I had no idea google had such a feature.

Quote:
Biodiversity loss diminishes the supplies of raw materials for drug discovery and biotechnology, causes a loss of medical models, affects the spread of human diseases, and threatens food production and water quality [10] . Its reduction has direct effects on the discovery of potential medicines.
My speech is actually a persuasive speech about saving endangered plants / animals and one of my main points is that it has medical benefits. This quote seems to support that.

Last edited by Izzy; 11-29-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #34
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullyman2007 View Post
i ****ed up bad in high school. trust me, trying to half-ass your way through those four years will only serve to bite you in the ass when all is said and done. also try to be involved in at least one-two extra curricular activities because admissions LOVE that. basically the best advice is mostly stuff you've already heard a thousand times, you just got a little numb to the preaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
My grades freshman year were enough to land me a 3.48 GPA instead of the 3.5 needed for my $2500/yr scholarship. I got the highest grades I possibly could senior year and they weren't enough. Shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumaestro View Post
rofl whoops
Really makes me wonder how this even happens, especially since I try all the time.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 PM   #35
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
btw..

how to balance freedom & academics in college ?_?
I won't get into superspecifics here, but the end result: "Study hard, play hard." When it's time to study, STUDY. Do it early, and don't let a damn thing distract you. This ensures that you keep up with the material and understand it better over time. You'll do much better on an exam if you have studied the material over the entire semester vs. cramming everything in a few nights before the midterm/final. You need to give your brain more time to absorb the info. It's amazing how doing a little bit more frequently does loads more for your performance when compared to doing a lot all at once.

But allow yourself time to play and enjoy freedom/friends. It'll keep you happier and well-focused. It's actually harmful to lock yourself in a room 24/7 as a studybot. You need to get out once in a while to clear your head and communicate with others (it's also useful to work in groups... assuming you have a smart group).

The most successful people I know from college were also some of the biggest partiers and/or enjoyers of freedom. You don't have to be a genius -- you just need to have good time management. Time is so valuable in college, and if you can force yourself to use your time wisely, you'll level out your stress to an average that is far, far more manageable.

Work hard and get your stuff done early. But then get out and enjoy some guilt-free freedom and actually have a college experience.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #36
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I attend a small state university because of financial reasons, but I know I could go to a better school... If I was considering graduate school in math, what do I need to do?

I know you should take either French, German, or Russian for your foreign language requirement, so i'm doing that now. And I am trying to take as many math classes as possible trying to earn the best grades I can. Does the fact that I attend this unknown but somewhat prestigious (not as prestigious as well known universities) school will hurt my chances of me considering a private school for graduate studies in math (or economics)?

I'm also considering applying for an REU this winter and trying to score well on the Putnam Exam this weekend :/
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #37
Izzy
Snek

I never tried during highschool because it all seemed like a depressing amount of pointless busy work. Once I got to college though I got it together as started getting decent grades. College seems a lot easier in my opinion. Less work that is more interesting.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #38
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

By the way, in case my post was a bit unclear, I meant that some of the grades I get are ridiculously out of whack even when I try.

So uh, yeah, makes me laugh at the ones who are like "I didn't try DERP". What would you have gotten if you "tried"?
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #39
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
http://www.ethnobiomed.com/content/3/1/14

I found this using googles scholarly beta search. Seems to be exactly what I need even if it is a little detailed. Just need to paraphrase a little.

I had no idea google had such a feature.

My speech is actually a persuasive speech about saving endangered plants / animals and one of my main points is that it has medical benefits. This quote seems to support that.
It depends on what species you're saving and why -- sometimes it's better to let a species go extinct, and sometimes it's better to preserve them.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #40
Izzy
Snek

I probably would have gotten better grades in highschool if I had tried since I neglected to turn in assignments because they seemed boring.

I always seem to get B's in college now though. I don't understand why I can't get an A no matter what. I do somewhat poorly on one assignment and it drops me to a B and I can never get it back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
It depends on what species you're saving and why -- sometimes it's better to let a species go extinct, and sometimes it's better to preserve them.
I see what you are saying, but that seems a little to in depth. I'm assuming the reason to let a species go extinct is so that it causes another species to live. Still the same general idea of saving species one way or another.