r.i.p. tiny hippo
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to sticklydude
Default Re: my keyboard reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcom View Post
Logitech G15.
Theres your problem.

In other news: The little rubber thing on the bottom of my Illuminated keeps falling off on the left bottom side. Makes me hate this keyboard. That's about all thats wrong with it.
sticklydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #62
iironiic
D6 FFR Legacy Player
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I used the HP Wireless Elite Keyboard (until my parents threw it away). Key caps fall off so easily after intensive play for months, so you have to switch setups very often. The response time relative to any other wireless keyboard is amazing. There is a tendency to pick up boos when using this keyboard however since the signals being received from the keyboard is so overwhelming, (like that one moment when I had 11 FMO booflags in one week haha). However, the size of the keycaps and the width of the keycaps are very comfortable for me, so it wasn't a bad deal.

tldr; When using this keyboard, be prepared that a) Keyboard might run out of batteries on a good run, or b) You might have a lot of booflags. Other than that, good wireless keyboard. I should invest getting a wired keyboard one day, preferably one with the same keycap dimensions on the HP Elite Wireless.
iironiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #63
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

In regard to ninjaKIWI:
(Since i didn't wanna quote that string of other quotes lol)

Im not sure what you were trying to prove on that last reply, but whatever.
In one of your replies you mentioned that Mechanical Keyboards last much longer than Rubber Dome Keyboards which is completely true.
Scissor Switch Keyboards go up to 10 million strokes but still less than Mech Keyboards.
But this is the thing, some people just do not like hitting those "crusty" buttons for various reasons.
The timing on Mech Keyboards is excellent and I agree that they are superior, but the lifted keys can decrease your speed greatly, and harder songs like 11's and 12's might require much more effort.
Some people just rather have comfortability over durability...

If there were a Mech Keyboard with flatter more comfortable keys capable of handling the craziest jumpstreams and very fast streams, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it.
It's the lifted keys that drive people away from Mech Keyboard.

Although i have to admit, this pricey Mech keyboard works extremely well (for people who are looking for one.)

The Logitech G19 is awesome for just about any MMORPG, and of course FFR.
Check it out:
http://www.examiner.com/pc-game-in-n...-review-review

ShadowSpawn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #64
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Imo mechanical keyboards are overrated when it comes to a keyboard for FFR/SM

Choosing a keyboard is based on the preference of the player and what they like whether it be a bulky keyboard or a slim keyboard. Many players prefer slim keyboards because they are lower to the keys and play better. It just depends what is comfortable to the player. Anyone who thinks there is only one absolute best type of keyboard for playing FFR/SM is retarded.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #65
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan_Bsk81127 View Post
Imo mechanical keyboards are overrated when it comes to a keyboard for FFR/SM

Choosing a keyboard is based on the preference of the player and what they like whether it be a bulky keyboard or a slim keyboard. Many players prefer slim keyboards because they are lower to the keys and play better. It just depends what is comfortable to the player. Anyone who thinks there is only one absolute best type of keyboard for playing FFR/SM is retarded.
Ohhhh myyy godddd finally someone who understands what I'm trying to say!!

Old 02-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #66
LongGone
-

I'll just quote one of my recent posts in another thread

Quote:
Let me write both sides of the story:

I used to purchase a wide variety of keyboards to find whats most suitable for my playstyle. The most expensive I went for was a mechanical Filco MX Blue, which I traded later with a friend for a Filco MX Brown. Prior to this, I was using my laptop keyboard+some cheap A4Tech Mini X-Slim keyboard which I used for years, and still use today.

--------------------------------------------------

My side of the story: I hated my mechanical keyboards, both blue and brown. The only reason really, is that I was too adapted to the flat keyboard layouts. They have minimal travel which I appreciated for playing speedfiles, and are responsive to the touch. If I were to do a jackhammer, I spend less time recovering from the recoil with the minimal key travel. Their build quality varies though; some flat keyboards are simple rubber dome ones (Like my X-Slim). Others like the Logitech X-Flat Premium/Illuminated/Razer Lyc/Artcosa etc have scissor lift which are deemed to have better build.

tl;dr I like flat keyboards because they let me play fast notes due to the minimal keytravel

The other side of the story: My friend plays rhythm games on a bulky keyboard (O2Jam mostly). One day I offered him to try my Filco Blue, and he pretty much had this massive skillboost playing on it. Bulky keyboards have an advantage of being easier to do holdstreaming (which isn't important in Stepmania or FFR), so it was perfect for him who plays longnote files on O2. It was much more responsive; whenever he pressed a key he knew for sure he was hitting it. For those that are coming from a bulky keyboard and moving to a mechanical one, they will probably enjoy the benefits of a mechanical KB most since there isn't anything new to get used to other than being perhaps more clicky (blues) and more responsive.

tl;dr My friend used a bulky KB, moved to a Mech Blue KB and its excellent for him due to the responsiveness and tactility

Another story: Staiain used to play with a Logitech Illuminated, and moved on to a Cherry Blue Mechanical KB at one point. His scores still improved from then on, despite the different form of KBs. He has a certain playstyle; He would hit keys and let go very quickly, like staccato notes on a piano. This gave him very responsive control over fast patterns and jacks. When he tried using my laptop keyboard, he started getting random misses as my laptop KB wasn't responsive enough for his fast hits. In comparison, I tend to hold down keys slightly before letting go (due to O2Jam habits), which makes my current laptop KB just right for me

tl;dr: Everyone has their own playstyle and keyboard type suitable for it. A mechanical keyboard didn't work for me, but it worked for a few others that I know. Ultimately, we all still improved notably over time using our current setups. Best to experiment, or borrow one from a friend before splurging on a KB
...and to be honest, I find all those numbers about "X million keystrokes lifespan" nonsense as I'm sure if your keyboard fails, it would fail because of other means instead (like spilling a drink over it, damaged cable, circuitry failure, etc.). I highly doubt in most practical cases that they keys themselves physically fail or get damaged, unless you're that aggressive and a very regular player. In that sense, most mech KBs would last as long as well built non-mech KBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

Last edited by LongGone; 02-27-2012 at 01:02 PM..
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #67
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSpawn13 View Post
In regard to ninjaKIWI:
(Since i didn't wanna quote that string of other quotes lol)

Im not sure what you were trying to prove on that last reply, but whatever.
In one of your replies you mentioned that Mechanical Keyboards last much longer than Rubber Dome Keyboards which is completely true.
Scissor Switch Keyboards go up to 10 million strokes but still less than Mech Keyboards.
But this is the thing, some people just do not like hitting those "crusty" buttons for various reasons.
The timing on Mech Keyboards is excellent and I agree that they are superior, but the lifted keys can decrease your speed greatly, and harder songs like 11's and 12's might require much more effort.
Some people just rather have comfortability over durability...

If there were a Mech Keyboard with flatter more comfortable keys capable of handling the craziest jumpstreams and very fast streams, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it.
It's the lifted keys that drive people away from Mech Keyboard.

Although i have to admit, this pricey Mech keyboard works extremely well (for people who are looking for one.)

The Logitech G19 is awesome for just about any MMORPG, and of course FFR.
Check it out:
http://www.examiner.com/pc-game-in-n...-review-review
I never once recommended any keyboards. I mentioned how long a mechanical keyboard will last compared to other switches because Anaru said that it had better last long for how much it costed. Hello reading comprehension.

The G19 is probably the largest waste of money ever, IMO. It's $100+, the only justification for which is the LED screen. But wait, it's in color. Worthless.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #68
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
I never once recommended any keyboards. I mentioned how long a mechanical keyboard will last compared to other switches because Anaru said that it had better last long for how much it costed. Hello reading comprehension.

The G19 is probably the largest waste of money ever, IMO. It's $100+, the only justification for which is the LED screen. But wait, it's in color. Worthless.
Bro, can you stop replying as if I'm attacking/trolling you? (cause i'm not)
Calm your fu**ing balls dude, your use of sarcasm is extremely annoying.

I was simply expressing my opinions with a few facts.
jeez freakin' sensitive people who CRAVE arguments...

Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #69
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Bro, can you stop replying as if I'm attacking/trolling you? (cause i'm not)
Calm your fu**ing balls dude, your use of sarcasm is extremely annoying.

I was simply expressing my opinions with a few facts.
jeez freakin' sensitive people who CRAVE arguments...
Then stop putting words in my mouth. Word your posts better, think your arguments through.

And by the way, your signature goes here, not in your actual post.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #70
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
Then stop putting words in my mouth. Word your posts better, think your arguments through.

And by the way, your signature goes here, not in your actual post.
See? that's the thing!
I'm NOT arguing, I'm just expressing my opinion.

Oh and is there a certain regulation that states that I cannot place my signature here:

or here?

whoopsie.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #71
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
See? that's the thing!
I'm NOT arguing, I'm just expressing my opinion.
And then I expressed mine. Sounds like an argument.

Quote:
Oh and is there a certain regulation that states that I cannot place my signature here:

or here?

whoopsie.
Don't be a smartass. What I mean is that if you put it where I linked you to, it'll do it automatically.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #72
ShadowSpawn13
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Wowww...
Barely any people online at the FFR Community, too bad trolls came back too...
I'm sorry but everytime you reply this is what I see in my head:

I've wasted enough time "feeding the troll"
Have a nice day. ^-^
Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #73
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

There is a difference between comfortable playstyle and optimal performance.

Some people are really comfortable playing DDR without the bar, but it's hard to argue that you'd be better than if you learned how to use it.

Some keyboards will have physical barriers to them that make them unfit for certain things.

Every keyboard I've ever used has died at some point due to excessive SM-play. Letters wear off and become blank, and eventually a few keys pop off during an intense jack sequence. Some keys just break altogether (I cracked a D in half once).

Some keyboards are better for speed/dump files. Others are better for MA.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 02-27-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #74
Magicturbo
Beatrix~
FFR Veteran

Finally got my Logitech Illuminated

It illuminates =3

Just saying
Magicturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #75
samurai7694
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #76
Poison-
Nope

Razer Lycosa illuminates too. I have it. It's pretty good. Only problem is that it sometimes just randomly stops registering any key strokes. Anyone else that's used one before have that problem?
Poison- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #77
Plan_Bsk81127
snooches

Send a message via AIM to Plan_Bsk81127 Send a message via Skype™ to Plan_Bsk81127

Think it was icy or eze that said after awhile the lycosa started dropping keytaps. I didnt keep mine long enough to experience it lol.
Plan_Bsk81127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #78
flash dualist
u wot m8?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to flash dualist

Been using it for a while. Great for pa/ma.

I might get a logitech ultrax keyboard.
flash dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #79
kostkaskater
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to kostkaskater Send a message via Skype™ to kostkaskater

Kellen was nice enough to buy me this keyboard. The newer Kensington Slim Type.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=748454&is=REG

Little did we know it didn't have anti-ghosting properties that the original I'm guessing had. I was really excited to get and it play on it but I got a huge letdown. I just use it for typing now because my Razer Tarantula is so trashed out anyways.
kostkaskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #80
ce1545
One Truth Prevails
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ce1545 Send a message via MSN to ce1545 Send a message via Yahoo to ce1545 Send a message via Skype™ to ce1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison- View Post
Razer Lycosa illuminates too. I have it. It's pretty good. Only problem is that it sometimes just randomly stops registering any key strokes. Anyone else that's used one before have that problem?
Mine tends to do that every now and then. All I do is unplug it then plug it back in and it starts working again.
ce1545 is offline   Reply With Quote