Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-2-2008, 06:01 PM   #21
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin
Default Re: How can we solve our problem with China?

Er...your comment failed to address a single solitary point in my post that you quoted. What exactly is the point of yours I'm supposed to understand now?
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-2-2008, 09:58 PM   #22
DDRXTIIDX
FFR Player

He probably meant something along the lines of "intimidation of foreign countries that were allies back in at least (OVER 9000!!!!) 100 years ago".

Quote:
The only chance there will ever be a nuclear attack against anybody ever, will be at the hands of a non-governmental terrorist group who either doesn't care about the consequences, actively wants the consequences, or somehow managed to convince themselves that the consequences won't be that dire.
And thus, never, ever again. Unless Osama bin Laden is reincarnated as "Obama bin Clinton" by unknown forces of blah.
I'm kidding. But I'm doubtful that smaller groups like the NPA would ever get their hands on nuclear weapons, so no threat from over here (over there?).
Old 05-2-2008, 11:58 PM   #23
esupin
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to esupin

Actually, I think nuclear war could still happen - by accident. Russia and the US still have weapons on hair-trigger alert pointed at each other. If both countries would just agree to disable them, it would take about a day to get the warhead back in the missile. That's much more time than we have now - Russia's missile detection system is getting old, and there were a few scares in the 1990s, one that involved a Norwegian weather satellite that was mistaken for a missile. Under the current system, the Russians hadminutes to decide whether or not they wanted to retaliate against the US.

Also, after the Soviet Union's collapse, their hold on a lot of nuclear stuff was weakened. That's not good!

http://www.youtube.com/esupin

Last edited by esupin; 05-3-2008 at 12:00 AM..
esupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2008, 06:22 AM   #24
legoboy792
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRXTIIDX View Post
He probably meant something along the lines of "intimidation of foreign countries that were allies back in at least (OVER 9000!!!!) 100 years ago".

And thus, never, ever again. Unless Osama bin Laden is reincarnated as "Obama bin Clinton" by unknown forces of blah.
I'm kidding. But I'm doubtful that smaller groups like the NPA would ever get their hands on nuclear weapons, so no threat from over here (over there?).
that is exactly what I meant. they are constantly provoking other country's. they are pretty much pissing Europe off. so if they don't stop it..............

Click for credits
legoboy792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2008, 08:40 AM   #25
jackal0949
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jackal0949

2 words america...bake sale!
jackal0949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-5-2008, 10:50 AM   #26
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Four words jackal: Get out of CT.

That is, until you've actually read the forum's rules and have the intention of actually following them. This isn't chit-chat, one-liners that add nothing to the discussion are simply not allowed here.

Quote:
they are pretty much pissing Europe off. so if they don't stop it..............
Let me try this AGAIN, this time maybe you'll actually answer me when I ask a direct question in response to something you posted:

So if they don't stop it.......what?

What are the consequences you envision from "pissing off Europe" what is "Europe" going to do to the US?
Old 05-5-2008, 08:16 PM   #27
legoboy792
FFR Player

i would say that if they continue to piss off the wrong kind of people they could soon find (20 or so years later) Europe are their door knocking in. If they continue "provoking people".

Click for credits
Old 05-5-2008, 08:53 PM   #28
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

So you're suggesting a "european" invasion of the United States?

Led by whom? Using whose army, whose navy, whose air force? How are they planning on crossing the atlantic without getting -smashed into bits- by American missile attacks, and the vastly superior American navy?

The American navy by weight is larger than the next SEVENTEEN largest navies in the world put together. The UK, Italy, Spain and France are the only european powers that have aircraft carriers. They combine to have 5 active and 5 under construction. The US has -11- active and 2 more under construction. The US has such sophisticated and extensive AWACS system that 2 carriers are generally enough to cover an ocean the size of the Atlantic. Move eleven into there, and absolutely nothing is getting through.

Then the USAF has something on the order of 4,000+ aircraft. Considering that at the bottom of the top 5 is India with 850ish (After such non-european notables as China and the Russian Federation [unless you want to group Russia as being european rather than asia, or eurasian, in which case I suppose the numbers are a little more close to reasonable]), I somehow doubt the conbined air forces of all of Europe would be able to do much to top 4000 either.

And all of this assumes that somehow, "Europe" as a whole entity decides to band together and launch a full-scale military invasion of the United States.

I'm curious how exactly you think that could ever possibly come about.
Old 05-6-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
legoboy792
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDRXTIIDX View Post

i meant that Europe could go to war with India.

Click for credits
Old 05-6-2008, 06:56 PM   #30
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Lego, around here we respond to direct questions from other posters about the things we say.
Old 05-7-2008, 06:21 PM   #31
legoboy792
FFR Player

i thought i answered it

Click for credits
Old 05-7-2008, 07:10 PM   #32
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
So you're suggesting a "european" invasion of the United States?
Quote:
Led by whom?
Quote:
Using whose army, whose navy, whose air force?
Quote:
How are they planning on crossing the atlantic without getting -smashed into bits- by American missile attacks, and the vastly superior American navy?
Quote:
I'm curious how exactly you think that could ever possibly come about.

Well, there's those ones.
Old 05-9-2008, 07:37 AM   #33
JonXia
FFR Player

Alright, lemme take a crack at this

My opinion with China, I'm not american. Canada trades with China and the US, I am up for both. In fact, one of the only reasons that China's development is at the point where it is right now is through trading with North America. They aren't gonna call and say "gimme monies" because it would cause trading problems and we could find other people to do business with. It will NEVER happen as long as China keeps on moving up. Their middle class population is approaching the total population of the US, they aren't going to want the debt paid off in total immedeatly. It is stupid plain and simple and no government, no matter how they govern is going to do it.

As for war, however the hell this came up, maybe it could be another topic. ANYWAYS as for war if ANYBODY touches Canada or the US we support eachothers millitary (even if the US doesn't need it =_=). so if you attack Canada, the US is gonna kill you, you touch the US we shall assist in the most biggest (forgive my "french") ass-kicking festival of the century.

I actually have this image of two brothers in my head. The bigger one has a baseball bat and is hitting balls like crazy with the smaller one in awe at the skill the older one has. Then the older brother says "here have a go" and the little kid starts hitting the ball. Nothing to the conversation at hand I thought it was cool ^_^ basically that is the US and Canada

JonXia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #34
legoboy792
FFR Player

OK FOR THE LAST TIME. i am not saying that Europe will attack the US. i am saying that Europe will atack india.

Click for credits
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #35
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Okay, so you finally really cleared up what you meant by a post to which I already responded a while ago "Er...your comment failed to address a single solitary point in my post that you quoted."

So you've addressed my point by clearing up something that didn't actually have anything to do with my point?

You know, when I ended a post with "What is Europe going to do to the US" and your next post was "If they aren't careful, they might find Europe knocking at their door" you'll forgive me if I draw the conclusion that you're talking about the US.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #36
legoboy792
FFR Player

good point i was actually talking about India. but the US could find Europe at its door with even more military then we have because we are too busy in Iraq to do home defense.

Click for credits
Old 05-13-2008, 04:53 AM   #37
chunky_cheese
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoboy792 View Post
good point i was actually talking about India. but the US could find Europe at its door with even more military then we have because we are too busy in Iraq to do home defense.
I know very little about the war in Iraq, but what I can safely assume is that the number of U.S. troops in Iraq is a very insignificant fraction of it's total military force.

With that being said, all of Europe (being a continent) will never band together to attack the United States. Why? Well as Devonin pointed out, even if they did combine all of their forces, they would still loose, AND it would be the worst economic decision of all time. Why would you attack one of, if not THE biggest trading partner you have?
chunky_cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #38
legoboy792
FFR Player

I believe that the US takes in more then we produce. someone correct me if im wrong on this.

Click for credits
Old 05-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #39
FlavorMe
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky_cheese View Post
I know very little about the war in Iraq, but what I can safely assume is that the number of U.S. troops in Iraq is a very insignificant fraction of it's total military force.

With that being said, all of Europe (being a continent) will never band together to attack the United States. Why? Well as Devonin pointed out, even if they did combine all of their forces, they would still loose, AND it would be the worst economic decision of all time. Why would you attack one of, if not THE biggest trading partner you have?
We have over 100,000 troops in Iraq IIRC.

And besides, considering that Europe, India, and the US have quite a significant nuclear arsenal, it'd be pretty stupid for one of these countries to ignite a war.

But getting back to the topic on hand, the United States has always treaded a cautious line with China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
Yes they could. They won't, and even if they did, the US could pretty easily get away with just ignoring them.

Besides, the most important point is China's economy is booming right now, they are in no financial trouble whatsoever. As a result, if they tried to call the US's debt, the US would simply point out to the international community that China has no need for this money, and is obviously only trying to cause economic distress to competing economy, which would certainly not go over well internationally, especially coming from China.
The United States has historically backed Taiwan and I have a hard time seeing how it would back out of it's partnership with Taiwan if tensions flared up between Taiwan and China. Taiwan's status has always been a touchy subject. Luckily for us, a Nationalist was recently elected in office recently in Taiwan who puts relations with China over Taiwan entering the UN IIRC.
FlavorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #40
Zythus
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

They have taken the precaution not to stir some things up, but currently, its not so hot. US currently is one of the prominent propagandists in the whole thing about Tibet. I read the paper (Globe and Mail) a few days ago. Despite the happy smiles the Chinese are showing the newly deployed westerners, it is pretty evident that they are infuriated by the whole bad publicity from the western countries. This already impacts the relationship by an amount. There was also fear of something strikingly radical that might happen in the opening ceremony by France and the western countries. So in my opinion, The relationship is present but vulnerable in the upcoming events.
Zythus is offline   Reply With Quote