Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
MSUK
FFR Player

Default One-Handers seem to be a dying breed.

Yeah, so...I don't mean to start ranting, as I know that the likelyhood of me switching to index and spread techniques aught to be mandatory, as in my opinion keyboard simfiles are of usual better quality nowadays, and...In places like these, 2-handers are usually of a higher population than the like.

But getting to the point. I've seen more and more packs around the internet that don't welcome new players, or existing players like myself(I've played for over a year now) that are still using the one-handed technique(Excluding Pad Packs). Now don't get me wrong, I like challenges. But doing 16th notes in a pattern that usually requires your hand to frequently move in strange positions, tense your wrist and tire your forearm extremely quickly, and overall seem like something impossible to clear seems to become more and more apparent to me.

I guess the real point of this topic, and the real question I'm asking is - If you were an existing player who's had enough experience of stepmania first hand, and were looking to change techniques which would better suit keyboard simfiles, where would you start?

Sorry if this happens to be the wrong forum, by the way.

Last edited by MSUK; 12-27-2008 at 10:34 AM..
MSUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Default Re: One-Handers seem to be a dying breed.

Spread or pettanko.

If you want to keep playing one-handed, nobody's stopping you. If that's what you find fun, great. StepMania is supposed to be fun (which many people here don't seem to realize anymore, hehe).

If you want to start playing seriously though, until you switch to the dominant style (spread), you're not going to start getting better/being able to tackle difficult files.

Pettanko is viable if you're ungodly
Old 12-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
dood gone krazee
RATOOOOOOOOO
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dood gone krazee Send a message via MSN to dood gone krazee

Isn't pettanko pinky and ring finger?

Damn that's hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Thomas View Post
Dood... you done gone got yourself krazee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
I hear back in 12 AD Jesus Himself sent an FGO to Tass and it got a 9 by JX

"[++] 9/10
Very good file but not japanese enough ps hi jesus"
dood gone krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Due to laziness i put my responses in the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUK View Post
Yeah, so...I don't mean to start ranting, as I know that the likelyhood of me switching to index and spread techniques aught to be mandatory, as in my opinion keyboard simfiles are of usual better quality nowadays, and...In places like these, 2-handers are usually of a higher population than the like.

Better quality? No. They've gone down the tubes to be like those fricking "Impossible" files. If anything several of these files should be deleted and the step artists mocked.

But getting to the point. I've seen more and more packs around the internet that don't welcome new players, or existing players like myself(I've played for over a year now) that are still using the one-handed technique(Excluding Pad Packs). Now don't get me wrong, I like challenges. But doing 16th notes in a pattern that usually requires your hand to frequently move in strange positions, tense your wrist and tire your forearm extremely quickly, and overall seem like something impossible to clear seems to become more and more apparent to me.

See above response - They don't seem to care for new players (They don't have to but heck it'd be nice.) They're just looking for something to give them Carpal Tunnel.

I guess the real point of this topic, and the real question I'm asking is - If you were an existing player who's had enough experience of stepmania first hand, and were looking to change techniques which would better suit keyboard simfiles, where would you start?

I'm not big on Stepmania but I'd start by going through and knocking off all these "Impossible" files. You wanna see something Impossible? Go play Reality and AAA that one handed. Spread players usually learn just spread, they should go through and play their best scores the other ways and see how bad they are stepped. They might actually understand the problems everyone else is boasting about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited View Post
If you want to keep playing one-handed, nobody's stopping you. If that's what you find fun, great. StepMania is supposed to be fun (which many people here don't seem to realize anymore, hehe).

Um, it's not fun when everything is Impossible to do the way we prefer.

If you want to start playing seriously though, until you switch to the dominant style (spread), you're not going to start getting better/being able to tackle difficult files.

How is playing the conformist easy way being serious? If we're all playing one way wheres the fun in thrashing everyone?
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to sp1nzoK

I switched to spread from one-hand fine 1½-2 years ago or something, I was content playing one-hand with my easy ass simfiles but then one day I downloaded videogame megapack and oh boy, I was getting really bad scores on its simfiles, so I switched to spread and started enjoying the game MORE, I'm not sure if most one-handers realize the fun factor of being able to play cool technical files with no sweat, such as Blue Rose.

If you switch to spread you can expect to beat your personal one-hand records within couple weeks consistently, that's just how it goes.
sp1nzoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
MSUK
FFR Player

I remember trying to play spread at some point. I mapped my keys to the numpad(2468) and tried to play. It felt extremely uncomfortable and I tended to press the wrong keys as the notes came up.

It's probably just the result of barely any practise, but that was my experience.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Redorigami
Call me Massive Swallow

Send a message via AIM to Redorigami Send a message via MSN to Redorigami Send a message via Yahoo to Redorigami

Of course it's uncomfortable at first, you've never done it before. One handing just seems more comfortable to a lot of players who have never given spread a chance because more than likely, you've used that same style when playing any other flash game or anything with arrow keys for controls. Given time, spread does make harder files much more enjoyable, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadNv View Post
Got dibs on La Camp.
Oh right, Im not any good.
Got dibs on Pita.
Redorigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by that midnight guy
Um, it's not fun when everything is Impossible to do the way we prefer.

How is playing the conformist easy way being serious? If we're all playing one way wheres the fun in thrashing everyone?
Play pad files. Unless you're a top tier one-hander, I don't get why you're busy trying to play "impossible" files. Majority of people play spread. Therefore a majority of people make spread files. There exist easier files that AREN'T spread files, but if you so desire to play one hand, find them yourself.

It's being "serious" score-wise because you can cross a threshold I can guarantee you will never pass playing one-handed. It's conformist, because it's the most functional way to get better. If it's so easy,

why can't you do it?

If we're all playing one way, where's the fun? Look in the SM scores thread. Everybody there plays spread. You will notice a HUGE gap between skill levels; because whatever ignorance you want to bestow towards spread players, it does exist. Notice how top ranks are always changing on high level FFR songs (re: DP, CCCP, RATO, Molto, etc)? Spread players can still improve. Damn, I know, that must be impossible to believe.

It's even more fun because spread players thrash one handed players who decide to stay one handed to hell.

tl;dr version
-find files that AREN'T too hard for you and stop downloading kb packs like a retard
-if you want to get better so desperately play spread
-if you think spread is too "conformist" then stfu and stop crying about how **** you are
Old 12-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
ScaryArrows..
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I remember trying to play spread at some point. I mapped my keys to the numpad(2468) and tried to play. It felt extremely uncomfortable and I tended to press the wrong keys as the notes came up.

It's probably just the result of barely any practise, but that was my experience.
Hmz..well, if you intend on using the number pad. Personally I use left and up on my arrow keys, 6 and 2 on num pad. That way my fingers aren`t having an orgy xD
ScaryArrows.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
SkySeal
FFR Player

Quote:

map your keys better you retard
you have your entire keyboard and 2468 is hardly spread out
here's what i did
closed my eyes and waved my hands in the air a little
assuring that i was still facing my keyboard, placed both my hands down on the keyboard to where they felt comfortable
opened eyes and viola there's the damn setup
SkySeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
ScaryArrows..
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

That`s a bit silly, but an awesome way to find how what`s comfortable none the less =D i`ve been using up right 6 and 2 (num pad) for as long as I can remember...i`ve tried as kl, but my hands are on an angle with my other setup, so as kl dosen`t work out well for me -_-;
ScaryArrows.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
MSUK
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySeal View Post
map your keys better you retard
you have your entire keyboard and 2468 is hardly spread out
here's what i did
closed my eyes and waved my hands in the air a little
assuring that i was still facing my keyboard, placed both my hands down on the keyboard to where they felt comfortable
opened eyes and viola there's the damn setup
Yeah, You have your 'damn setup', but what use is that when your mind and reflexes still tell you to use your hand the way you would on the normal directional keys, AKA pressing the key above the one you've got mapped for example when tapping an 'up' note.
There was no need to be rude either. >>;
Old 12-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

I played on the arrow keys until I switched to keyboard spread -- I play just fine. I think you need to be a little less obstinate, and a bit more open to suggestions. It takes a little while to reprogram your mind to switch to spread, but it can be done, and if you work on it, it can be done quickly. Took me a few days to get comfortable.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Cloud0005
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Cloud0005 Send a message via MSN to Cloud0005

One handers aren't dying....I'm not atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigly View Post
SHUT UP GUYZ HE HAS PROBLEMS!!!!!!

DIDN'T YOU READ HIS NAME??? HE CRIES AT NIGHT!!!!!

YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!!!!!

=o
Cloud0005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #15
Zybanthia
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

One-handers are a dying "breed" because many realize they won't reach the high expectation of the more challenging files being put out into arrow-pushing games - something you essentially noted in your first post.

If you want a comfortable setup, I recommend something ergonomic, like

q, s, l, p

Or, if you're not on a laptop, place your right hand on the numpad. But it's important to try different setups yourself and see which ones you like most. Plenty of people, though, don't consider the above setup because a, s, k, l is so widely used that it's easy to go with it as a first instinct.
Zybanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 PM   #16
Oni-Paranoia
No fucks
FFR Veteran

The full potential of a one hander is equivalent to a player on pad.
Oni-Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Xiaounlimited
Eaguru
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni-Paranoia
The full potential of a one hander is equivalent to a player on pad.
Calimist is better than a lot of people are on kb.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #18
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

I use two hands and D F J K.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
iCeCuBEz v2
XFD
FFR Veteran

of coures one handig is a dying breed one handeing sacks ROFL

Dennis, Nell, Edna, Leon, Nedra, Anita, Rolf, Nora, Alice, Carol, Leo, Jane, Reed, Dena, Dale, Basil, Rae, Penny, Lana, Dave, Denny, Lena, Ida, Bernadette, Ben, Ray, Lila, Nina, Jo, Ira, Mara, Sara, Mario, Jan, Ina, Lily, Arne, Bette, Dan, Reba, Diane, Lynn, Ed, Eva, Dana, Lynne, Pearl, Isabel, Ada, Ned, Dee, Rena, Joel, Lora, Cecil, Aaron, Flora, Tina, Arden, Noel, and Ellen sinned.
iCeCuBEz v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
John McPain
FFR Player

Its survival of the fittest.

<3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
I no longer trust your judgment in things I should stick my penis in.
John McPain is offline   Reply With Quote