Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
N.T.M.
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to N.T.M.
Default Re: Give me one good reason to believe in God

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
The issue is just that even if you deeply and truly believe in your religion, religions are inherantly faith-based, and if you had actual objective facts to support it (Objective meaning 'things which would necessarily be accepted as fact by all people') then you would be able to provide those facts to us and we would have no choice but to accept them. What you have are personal, subjective experiences that, while -you- know they are fact to YOU, we have no way to actually corroborate them.

Where this gets applied in the thread is when someone says something like "For my given subjective reasons, this is a belief that I feel is very strongly correct" but since it's your own subjective and personal reasons educating your belief, those of us who don't accept your reasons can therefore also not accept your conclusion. While a true conclusion can be potentially arrived at from faulty premises, we still need to produce the same conclusion from valid premises before we know it's actually a true conclusion.

I don't think anybody was telling you what you should believe, so much as telling you that they think you have no justifiable reasons to believe what you DO believe. And as long as you are content to not be able to convince others of the correctness of your position, all you need are the reasons that are good enough for you. But if you -do- want to convince others of the correctness of your position, you'll need reasons that are good enough for -them- as well.
“Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish... Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”

Christopher Hitchens
Closed Thread