Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-3-2009, 11:46 PM   #121
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: IQ

Well, then you're an outlier of the outliers.

Haha.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2009, 12:08 AM   #122
Kekeb
davai
FFR Veteran

No clue why, but to view http://www.cerebrals.org/tests/tri/TRI52.html, I had to go under a proxy. It's giving me a 403 error everytime I go to view it, and the only thing I can conclude is that it has to do with my location/IP.
Kekeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2009, 12:08 AM   #123
ieatyourlvllol
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

The test's being designed for outliers means that those in the upper ranges (to some extent) will have more accurate results. The scores themselves still correspond to a normal distribution.

+3.26 sigma is approximately 150, depending on the value for standard deviation (probably 15 or 16).

Iirc, my initial run took 90 minutes or so. I should be able to break 900 (assuming the extra time is enough to solve the few problems I semi-guessed on), though I'll have to wait quite some time before retaking the test.

Anyways, I would probably favor eCMA were it not for the repetition in spatial visualization (it moves right, it moves right, ... ) and questionable assessment of acquired knowledge, which (imo) has less statistical/correlational reliability.
ieatyourlvllol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2009, 07:46 AM   #124
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatyourlvllol View Post
The test's being designed for outliers means that those in the upper ranges (to some extent) will have more accurate results. The scores themselves still correspond to a normal distribution.

+3.26 sigma is approximately 150, depending on the value for standard deviation (probably 15 or 16).

Iirc, my initial run took 90 minutes or so. I should be able to break 900 (assuming the extra time is enough to solve the few problems I semi-guessed on), though I'll have to wait quite some time before retaking the test.

Anyways, I would probably favor eCMA were it not for the repetition in spatial visualization (it moves right, it moves right, ... ) and questionable assessment of acquired knowledge, which (imo) has less statistical/correlational reliability.
The eCMA is a fairly well designed test in theory. It does just about everything a good test should.

It has issues with standardization though. It has particularly weak reliability in both the high end and the low end. I think they could do a better job.

Also, due to randomization you occasionally get questions that are essentially repeats. Often several times >_>
Old 03-4-2009, 10:40 AM   #125
Mr. Bob
FFR Player

138 at a school test about 7 months ago
Mr. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-4-2009, 08:22 PM   #126
serghi
FFR Player

My first post in FFR

I agree most online tests are a load of feces. I've seen tests where they score you based on political and religious views :S
Before joining the army I had an official one taken. It measured up to 150 and I aced it. I've also taken a Mensa-test placing me in the 160's (I'd be a member if it didn't cost money). Now don't you all go mistaking IQ for intelligence. IQ just your ability to solve logical problems (even though it can be discussed if intelligence is just that). When they measure your IQ they don't measure your social awareness, self awareness, mental stability etc. Deciding a persons IQ is also far from accurate, the results will vary depending on whether the person is sleepy, hungry, angry, anything that might serve as even a slight diversion.
In my opinion IQ shouldn't be used as a tool for measuring people, only as bragging rights
serghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2009, 08:01 PM   #127
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to sp1nzoK

Did TA3 out of curiousity.

It being in english made it harder than not for me, but I lacked the knowledge on many of the questions anyhow, bit slow on some of the puzzles to get a definite logic behind the answers and memorization-wise I'm bit on the slow side I'd say. So all the shortcomings combined I'm just shocked it was this high number somehow.

Also, IQ-test like TA3 seems highly trainable, by learning sufficient terminology, getting knowledgeful in history/math, training memorization etc. It seemed like a real test but also something you can actually get better at instead of something you can just ride through as a prodigy.

Also it stands _International_ but if you don't speak english as your main language (like me), you need really good education in it to have a shot at some of the questions introduced here.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatyourlvllol View Post
P.S. - I've also tried the TA3 on the same site, but it seems a bit partial to individuals who actively pursue the knowledge that constitutes a significant portion of the test.
What I was getting at in a nice quote.

EDIT2:

So I did eCMA too, basically same test as TA3, maybe slightly watered down on few areas, still shockingly similar I'd say.

Last edited by sp1nzoK; 03-5-2009 at 08:37 PM..
sp1nzoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2009, 09:22 PM   #128
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1nzoK View Post
Did TA3 out of curiousity.

It being in english made it harder than not for me, but I lacked the knowledge on many of the questions anyhow, bit slow on some of the puzzles to get a definite logic behind the answers and memorization-wise I'm bit on the slow side I'd say. So all the shortcomings combined I'm just shocked it was this high number somehow.

Also, IQ-test like TA3 seems highly trainable, by learning sufficient terminology, getting knowledgeful in history/math, training memorization etc. It seemed like a real test but also something you can actually get better at instead of something you can just ride through as a prodigy.

Also it stands _International_ but if you don't speak english as your main language (like me), you need really good education in it to have a shot at some of the questions introduced here.

EDIT:

What I was getting at in a nice quote.

EDIT2:

So I did eCMA too, basically same test as TA3, maybe slightly watered down on few areas, still shockingly similar I'd say.
Yeah, these questions are designed for people who learned English as their main language. You should try the culture fair test on the main page I posted, since that is fair for anyone. Not that your scores are bad at all; they're very good!

The material on the eCMA isn't as trainable as you would think though. At least not if the test is designed properly. However, portions of the TA3 aren't terribly well designed (The portions that ask you obscure information, in particular).

Good questions of general knowledge tend to sample from ...very general information. The key is not to ask specifics, but something that just about everyone has been exposed to before.

For example, a good word to ask someone the definition of would be, say, TRAVESTY. Just about everyone has heard and read it before. Numerous times, because it's a fairly common word. However, not many people can actually define it. By asking item types like this, you're tapping into people's memory and, more specifically, working memory. People with larger working memories are more likely to know the meaning of this word and be able to bring it forth. These same people are likely to be superior at various mental tasks as well.

A bad word might be say, ZYMURGY. Terrible word. It's far too specific; it's a rather obscure branch of chemistry just about nobody has heard of or seen before. Asking things like this is more trivia than IQ testing.

It's also important to note than on tasks like general information recall, performance on any one item is meaningless. Only from the trend, or pattern of responses from an individual does g (general intelligence) begin to appear, and these types of general information tests are...very reliable measures of IQ if created and administered properly.

You might think that by learning large vocabulary lists you could memorize the answers, but it doesn't really work that way. There are too many words to memorize if the words are sampled properly. Not to mention how much of what you've put to memory that you can actually recall and manipulate at test time is going to depend on your working memory ability anyway (i.e. really smart people that memorize vocabulary lists can boost their scores dramatically. This could contribute to our inability to measure anything useful at the 160+ range of IQ).

Sadly, the high IQ society tests are not the best, but by internet standards pretty good. Also, sadly, memorizing vocabulary lists is hugely advantageous for some tests like the GRE, which have a tendency to ask the same rehashed list of pedantic high class vocabulary items that nobody ever uses.

Last edited by Reach; 03-5-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-5-2009, 09:48 PM   #129
sp1nzoK
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to sp1nzoK

Nice reply Reach.

The high IQ society tests indeed didn't feel like the best possible.

I tried TRI52, it felt easy at first but got progressively harder, scored 780 (felt pretty average, since I was getting so lost towards the end).
sp1nzoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2009, 06:36 AM   #130
Reach
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1nzoK View Post
Nice reply Reach.

The high IQ society tests indeed didn't feel like the best possible.

I tried TRI52, it felt easy at first but got progressively harder, scored 780 (felt pretty average, since I was getting so lost towards the end).
Well yeah, it is designed to get progressively harder. In theory what the test is supposed to do is introduce the logical rules to you, and then increase the complexity of those rules slowly in order to see where your breaking point is.

Either way, 780 is about 135-138 in terms of IQ, which is far from average. You have to realize that the average person begins to get lost after the first few items.
Old 03-6-2009, 06:48 AM   #131
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Oh man, I couldn't give a definition of travesty without looking it up <.<;

Good call, Reach
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2009, 08:23 AM   #132
Lr5
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post

If you want to take a pretty good IQ test, try this:

http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf

It is a great mimic of the IQ test Ravens Advanced Progressive Matrices, a commonly administered test.

118 on that one.
Lr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2009, 12:22 PM   #133
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Hai, i got a IQ of 68. Have a nice day.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-6-2009, 12:43 PM   #134
OrganisM
FFR Player

I will be #1.

Originally Posted by jewpinthethird[link]:
"If you get stung by enough bees you turn into a bee,
because the venom gets into the blood stream which
spreads bee DNA throughout your entire body...
changing your genetic structure into a bee's.

Every year roughly 125 people in America are turned into bees this way."

Originally Posted by
MrRubix[link]:
"Do you basically bukkake-paint your walls every time you jack it?"

Originally Posted by All_That_Chaz[link]:
"My pity-sex depreciates at a rate of 5% annually."
OrganisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-7-2009, 04:30 PM   #135
Kage06
FFR Player

Heh, I seem to average around 100-117-120 depending on the test. The ones listed, like the International High IQ, I'm getting 100.

I took the http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf one today, and I felt I somehow understood stuff better, and got 107... weird.

Going to take the International High IQ again now

EDIT:

Got 100 again. Exactly the same result, but I don't get some of the questions, based on knowledge...

Plus this one?

2x + 8 = 18? (whats x) How can there be an answer to that, that'd make 18?

Last edited by Kage06; 03-8-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Kage06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 12:59 PM   #136
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Got "over 145" on Reach's test with about 15 minutes to spare.

I should add, though, that I put forth an educated guess on #39. I couldn't quite understand that one fully.

Last edited by MrRubix; 06-9-2009 at 01:38 PM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 01:05 PM   #137
bob bob
This Is How We Do It~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bob bob Send a message via MSN to bob bob Send a message via Skype™ to bob bob

Kage, the answer is 5.

2 x 5 += 10 + 8 = 18.

Oh and my iq is like 140
5th Place: 7th Official Tournament D5

bob bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 01:08 PM   #138
AC1speakerbox
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AC1speakerbox Send a message via MSN to AC1speakerbox

Based on two online tests, which were actually very close together, 135 (supposedly).
AC1speakerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 01:12 PM   #139
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Reach's test was actually kinda fun, haha.
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2009, 02:56 PM   #140
LamborghiniMarsRover
FFR Player

I got 130 at The International High IQ Society.

LamborghiniMarsRover is offline   Reply With Quote