Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #101
Zarbon
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Zarbon
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Revolution is Here.

Either way, I hope that the Revolution can live up to all of this hype.
Zarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #102
Grandiagod
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Grandiagod Send a message via MSN to Grandiagod

If the Revolution can overcome the whole gimmick thing and actually innovate it could well be the future of videogames. Nintendo has lost some of my confidence lately but if anyone can do it they can.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #103
Zarbon
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Zarbon

That's true. It's the controller mostly throwing me off but I bet after a good day or so I will get it down.
Zarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #104
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Revolution is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuko
I think it's good that Nintendo has decided to stay out of direct competition with the PS3 and 360. Let the two big lugs duke it out until they both stagger when nothing can really be 'improved' power-wise, and gamers get tired of paying crazy high prices for things that really aren't any more fun or interesting than their predecessors. Once that happens, the market will wake up and realize that the Revolution isn't stupid; it's a breath of fresh air.
Trust me, they won't. They'll keep playing the generic crap like Perfect Dark Zero while ignoring anything that might be pretty uniqie like Katamari Damacy or Psychonauts.

That's why Nintendo is considered an outcast. All of their franchises, from Mario to Pikmin, from Metroid to Animal Crossing, are much more different than franchises such as what you can find on other systems, like Halo or Final Fantasy. Sure, there are those games on other systems that are just plain unique that aren't for Nintendo, just like there are Nintendo franchises like Zelda that are somewhat generic, but Nintendo is just bigger in the whole non-conforming department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic
I'll consider putting $150 into a Revolution when Nintendo shows me that their good games drought is over.
Actually, Nintendo released some nice games for the DS in Q3 and Q4 this year. I'll admit, though, for the Gamecube, they haven't released so much this year. Fire Emblem and Resident Evil were really the only must buys throughout the whole year for the Gamecube although this entire year wasn't all that impressive at all for gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokzic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
The latter half of 2005 was just terrible for gaming all around.
As true as that is, I'm talking about a much larger timeframe. I've been disappointed with Nintendo for a long time - after producing great N64 games, they brought out Gamecube, and all was good. It only lasted a year, however. Following great games like Metroid Prime and SSBM, they started to decline quickly. By the time 2003 came around, a good game from them became rare. With the exception of a few, there have been no games that stood out from the crowd since then, even considering DS. I don't know what change brought it around, but whatever it was, I'm hoping it doesn't last forever, or my little hibernating Nintendo fanboy inside me may never wake up.
The only good thing is that there were so many good games released during said timeframe that they can keep you busy for quite awhile. Personally I feel Nintendo's "drought" started in late 2004, though :/ There are still about 10 games on my list of games I want for the Gamecube, all except two being unique to the Gamecube (Resident Evil 4 and Alien Homonoid)
Old 01-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #105
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Revolution is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamuko
Microsoft doesn't care if they screwed over the gaming community. They made plenty of money, and they are in a good position to be making more money, and that's all they care about.
I don't have any official numbers on me, but Microsoft lost a shit-load of money with the X-box. Sony made plenty of money, and Nintendo made plenty of money.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #106
ShadowSkill
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: Re: RE: The Revolution is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrESqueek
Well, since this was bumped, I might as well put my thoughts in as well.

As was stated earlier by someone else, I thought the same way about graphics. Obviously going from 4 to 8 to 16 and so on was HUGE. But now... it's not really much different. Put a 256MB card in your computer and see if there's a huge difference between that and a 128. Yes, there is a difference, but you're going from almost-lifelike to... almost-lifelike.

Everytime I see a crowd of people watching that kid play the 360 in the store I wonder why. He's playing Perfect Dark. It's just another generic first-person shooter. The only thing it has over other FPS games is that it's the first one on a new console. But no matter how I look at it, it looks like just a regular Xbox game. I see no increase in graphical capabilities utilized whatsoever.

This is where Nintendo steps in and says ENOUGH OF THE CRAP. DS was revolutionary enough. The first new system that CANNOT be emulated on a PC. Now comes the Revolution which also cannot be emulated. They are promising games that you enjoy playing. Games that you can get into. Games like what they should be.

If Revolution doesn't sell well, it means people really are idiots. I actually once had this guy at Best Buy overhear a conversation I was having with my friend about the Revolution and asked if he should get his kid the 360 now or wait for a Revolution to come out. I most certainly convinced him against the even-more-expensive paperweight that was the 360 along with the PS3.

Who would spend more than $400 for a console? Seriously? And $60 for each game?! Ok money-whores. Get out of the market. The gaming community will change once the Revolution is out.

~Squeek
I agree with you entirely MrESqueek the only reason why people would play Perfect Dark Zero is because its all hyped and not pay attention about what really matters... the gameplay. The only thing the game has for itself is the reload animations which are pretty clean but not enough to safe the game with that I felt I was slapped in the face.

Nintendo is going the right way about the Revolution It's not about the graphics any more it's all about innovation. This was the reaon that I didn't buy the PSP and headed for the DS. All PSP has are ports of games and movies (there was also a very small amount of original games), the DS on the other hand had games I really really want (Ose! Tatakae! Ouendan!, Metroid Prime Hunters, Meteos, Mr. Driller, just to name a few) and the DS has less of the ports and more of what people really want original games, alright resident evil is just a port but the game added a new chapter that allows the player to use the touch screen in new ways and it's that little gameplay change that would bring even more people to the survival horror genre and change the idea that resident evil for the DS is just a port. The Revolution is just like this innovative tune and it is geared toward everyone but appearently someone would like to say different:

"Don't kid yourself, you're going to see more gimmicky, crappy, cheap, 'I wish I hadn't bought it' gimmick games based around that controller than you can ever possibly imagine. I guarantee you there's going to be lots of people who say the whole reason for this game is this controller; we made the perfect game for this controller. And all it'll be about is the controller and not necessarily a great game."
-Mark Rein Epic Games Vice President
at a IGN Live event

Appearently, he hasn't heard that you don't have to use the nunchuck controller to play the games. Everybody is worried about the controller but if you look on google or some other search engine you'll find a video of this guy who made this nunchuck controller like thing out of a mouse and made it run smoothly in an online game of CS everything is there the controller tracks the first person camera perfectly and shooting and changing weapons doesn't look all that difficult. All I have to say is that Metroid Prime 3 is going to be the FPS to end it all (the online bit is free just like the DS w00t). All and all nintendo has been about the people and this alone justifies me buying a revolution at launch.

http://www.13thlabour.tk
ShadowSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #107
ShadowSkill
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Revolution is Here.

Most of the single player at a friends house co-op.

Yes everyone knows that any games' online mode is fun (See Shadowskill's Halo2 problem 'four and a half days straight! w00t :assout::')but the fact that you have to pay to play online is to me weird why have to pay to play an online game that costs you 60 bucks to begin with? Shouldn't that be enough? Why can't we play the game online for free permanently after we spent an amount of cash on it?
Now the Xbox360 does have a free online service but it doesn't include the online game play for free thing, please correct me if I am incorrect on some of those parts, I am really fuzzy on the whole xbox360 online thing...(I'm serious and I don't mean to put you down I'm just a poster making a point)you have to pay for marketplace items right? I really haven't bothered with the online thing because you have to cancel your free gold membership before they charge you for having the membership after the expiration date of the trial card. This kind of thing is what MrESqueek was talking about, money-whores. If they made the single-player game just as good as it was online the game would have faired better with the reviews.

Nintendo's stand on online has changed a lot from the time they didn't support it. Now they have a free online service that is really good (tech support, a how to guide, the works) for the DS. All the player has to buy is the game and if they don't have a wireless router, a nintendo wifi usb from buffalo which cost about 30 bucks (either that or Micky D's your choose) givin all the great online games for the DS (Mario Kart DS, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime Hunters, and more) are free to play online
(some third party titles might charge a fee but since the majority of the games online are free we'll assume that those are free as well in this post)
It is totally worth buying the stuff and it's more bang for your buck compared with how microsoft is going with their online service. I still argue (after nintendo's free online play service was announced) with my friends 'What would've happened if Halo2 was available to play online for free?'. More people would be playing it definitely.
When the Revolution comes out, free online gameplay, innovative gameplay, and great games for everyone at affordable price tag. This is what the people want. I want that replay value without purging the money jar.

http://www.13thlabour.tk
ShadowSkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:09 AM   #108
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164
Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Revolution is Here.

Though I'm not too thrilled with ShadowSkill's grammar, he makes a very good point. Free online play is exactly what Nintendo needed, and it got the job done. Mario Kart DS is being called "Best Game of 2005" all over the place, simply because being able to play Mario Kart online against anyone across the nation was an incredible step, and I have to say I was hoping for it one day. Warp Pipe for Double Dash!! attempted it (I have to say, I never tried it), but it was a foreshadowing of the inevitable. Same thing with Animal Crossing. Now, instead of bumming somebody's memory card (or game card, in this case), all you need is wi-fi and somebody's friend code and you're ready to go.

Imagine SSB Revolution on wi-fi. It'll be incredible. To be able to play against anybody across the world on such and amazing fighting game will be awesome. The only problem I see is possible bandwidth issues on wireless-B. In Mario Kart DS, there's a lot of spots where you'll see a player zig-zagging erratically across a track, or falling and rematerializing way ahead, making you realize that they never fell off the track at all. Those are all wi-fi connection issues that, although minor, could make a wi-fi fighter or FPS very annoying and not at all fun. I hope Nintendo goes with wireless-G with Revolution, just to make sure that doesn't happen.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:34 AM   #109
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke
Default Re: The Revolution is Here.

This seemed kinda relevent!
http://www.pointlesswasteoftime.com/games/fanboy.html
Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #110
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...volution_games

Also, Joystiq is making an up-to-date and detailed list of third-party games that are slated to be released with the console.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/24/wh...he-revolution/

~Squeek
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 PM   #111
FishFishRevolution
GotR Creator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Yahoo to FishFishRevolution Send a message via Skype™ to FishFishRevolution

Game Title: Sadness
Developer: Poland-based NiBRIS
About the Game: A psychological game the developer hopes will "scare not with the amount of blood but with sheer atmosphere. Imagine a game in which you do not use guns or knives but you will have to protect yourself with the objects you find exploring the ground -- a stone, a stick, etc" (from the IGN interview). The game will be presented in black & white.
Using the Controller: From to the same interview, "Some examples of using the controller - you swing a torch with it to scare the rats off; you slit the throat (controller as a piece of glass or a knife); if you want to climb the wall you will have to hook a rope over the piece of a wall sticking out (controller serving as a lasso). And this is only the beginning."

That looks really cool.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #112
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Another game in the same vein as that game is Red Blade oe w/e it's called. You can use the controller as a gun or as a sword when fighting Yakuza and other people.

Me, as a Nintendo and Sony fan, I can say that the Revolution is finally catching my interest. The gimmick of the console is drawing me in. However, I would have to disgree with all this "innovation" talk. Yes, the game industry is falling to the "Graphical Power" Juggernaut and innovaton is dying, but the terms of power are what push games forward as well. Upcoming games for the PS3 such as MGS4 and Resistance: Fall of Man are innovative as they push the terms of gameplay into new realms never before seen. Basically, to say that the Nintendo is the only console showing promises of innovation is pure ignorance.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #113
suicidalmuskrat
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via MSN to suicidalmuskrat Send a message via Yahoo to suicidalmuskrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
Another game in the same vein as that game is Red Blade oe w/e it's called. You can use the controller as a gun or as a sword when fighting Yakuza and other people.

Me, as a Nintendo and Sony fan, I can say that the Revolution is finally catching my interest. The gimmick of the console is drawing me in. However, I would have to disgree with all this "innovation" talk. Yes, the game industry is falling to the "Graphical Power" Juggernaut and innovaton is dying, but the terms of power are what push games forward as well. Upcoming games for the PS3 such as MGS4 and Resistance: Fall of Man are innovative as they push the terms of gameplay into new realms never before seen. Basically, to say that the Nintendo is the only console showing promises of innovation is pure ignorance.
I'd like to see some solid examples of how PS3 will be innovating through the machine's graphical capabilities. Innovation is presenting ideas or gameplay mechanics never before seen...While graphics and power are/were capable of innovation, it's getting to the point where it's not really innovating, it's just grouping more ideas together in one package. Which I call progress, not innovation.

So basically what realms of gameplay on the PS3 have we never seen before?

EDIT: And fishfish, I think you shouldn't get your hopes up. It's a small independent developer, with no publisher yet. They will be attending E3 in hopes of generating hype and finding a publisher. But the chances aren't great...And if it does happen, it'll still be quite a while.

EDIT 2: And it's called Red Steel, developed by Ubisoft Paris.

Last edited by suicidalmuskrat; 04-24-2006 at 04:50 PM..
suicidalmuskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 AM   #114
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Yes I went to an EB Games last night and found out it was called Red Steel. Also to answer your question, I honestly cannot say offhand. Not because I don't know, but bcause thier isn't enough information at the present time. You will have to see at E3 for all of the full details.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #115
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Chromer has a point, though. Maybe you won't call it "innovation" but good things happen with other consoles. Like GTA, for example. The whole idea of a free-roaming world with no constant objectives is seriously the best thing ever. Other games have copied it somewhat and are much better because of it (namely: Spiderman 2. I love just swinging around in that game, haha). Also, San Andreas got rid of load times, which is now being done a lot more. The power of the PS3 won't be just for graphics in the next GTA, but the huge disc size and the power of the system will allow for more and better stuff, which will likely be copied. I mean like being able to enter almost every building you see without having to load in a separate area, but just opening the door and there you go.

Granted, that's not a new idea, but it's something that can't be done with a crappy (in terms of power) system. We're nearing the point of lifelike graphics in real time, and after that, consoles will still keep getting faster and boasting better tech specs than the previous generation could, but that extra power will be used for things other than graphics. Also, you must realize that not everybody who plays games is a "gamer." Microsoft and Sony are looking to please the greatest number of people by upping their graphics a ton. The "gamers" are the minority here.

Oh, and also, I'd rather Nintendo do this and be successful than have all 3 companies try crazy junk every time they release a console. Nintendo has tried lots of crap over the years. Some of it has been successful and got copied by other companies and brought to the general public (rumble packs, for example). Other stuff, however, wasn't so hot and was just hidden in the background of gaming past (uhhh, the POWER GLOVE. I mean really, who the hell came up with that). What will probably happen (and I've said this before) is the Rev comes out, the motion-sensing junk is a huge success, and then the X-BOX3 and PS4 will have motion sensing controllers. They'll prolly keep the same old design, but just add the gyros and such needed so that you can tilt your controller in a racing game to help turn faster, or you can lean slightly to and fro in Tony Hawk to keep balance on rails, etc etc etc. Nintendo is why all the controllers these days have rumble packs and probably why everybody is going wireless this time around (Nintendo had the first really awesome wireless controller, no?). I like the mix of the 3 gaming factions, cuz their different approaches help us all out in the end.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #116
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Done and Done. Well spoken, EB.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #117
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Too bad he misses the fact that non-linear games suck, by virtue of being non-linear.

Don't even try to argue with me on this; I will utterly destroy you with an actual essay.

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #118
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Moogy, as if anything you say will change my mind. can you honestly talk on this forum and say that the Revolution IS NOT a gimmick? No you can't because that is exactly what the rev is; a gimmick. If it works, the Revolution can usher in a new era of gameplay. If not, it will remembered with the craptacular showings of the Power Glove and Virtual Boy.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 PM   #119
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

I wasn't even saying **** about that. I was just trolling because he liked GTA.

noob rofl

^^^ vintage signature from like 2006 preserved
Moogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #120
evilbutterfly
FFR Player

Moogy, I didn't mention any non-linear games. GTA:SA and Spiderman2 both have very linear missions that you have to do to go through the story. The good thing is that you don't HAVE to go through the story to play the game, you can just dick around all over the city and waste time. This is as opposed to mission-based games, where each level loads in and you have objectives and have to do them. In the free-roaming games you can do them when you want, but they're still linear as hell.

And non-linear games fail because the amount of time involved in making 1000000 plots for every possibility that comes out is just ridiculous. If we had infinite time to make games or if we could make games that write themselves as they go, non-linear games might be more worth it.

But yeah, don't try to argue with me on stuff that I didn't even say, rofl. Besides, nobody takes your opinion seriously on most things, because you're very exact in your tastes and preferences and shut out damn near everything else. You have a warped sense of value in games that, although it makes sense to you, is somewhat retarded. You like what you like and we can't change that, and you need to realize that you're not going to change anybody by being so critical about what we like. Silly Moogy. =P

EDIT after Moogy: rofl, I figured it was the anti-GTA thing. I always use it as an example and somebody always complains, but whether you like GTA or not, you have to admit that the free-roaming aspect is good and that's why other games copy it. Well, that and GTA is popular, so companies are like ZOMG COPY THE POPULAR THING SO WE CAN GET RICH! But I don't think that's more the reason for True Crime than it is the reason for free-roaming in other games.

In less-depressing news, I got a job for an online business (which sells non-electronic games, of all things!) which has taught me a lot about marketing online and all that jazz.

So now I'm on Twitter @NoahWright.
And I write the blog for their website.

Plus I do cool programming in-house that you'll never see. =O

Last edited by evilbutterfly; 04-25-2006 at 02:50 PM..
evilbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote