Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #101
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Breaking Bad

It depends on what you define as a loose end, but IMO I agree. Some might argue that Gus' backstory is a loose end, or the Gray Matter backstory, etc, but honestly I think they're sufficiently covered. There are, of course, gaps -- but you can pretty much fill them in with whatever details you want and it'll be just as valid.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #102
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

If there are loose ends remaining after Felina, they won't be tantamount to those of Lost.
smartdude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #103
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

fuck LOST so much

don't get me started
Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #104
Banned
FFR Veteran

there needs to be a .gif of todd mercilessly headshotting Jesse's girl. HOLY SHIT that guy doesn't show emotion AT ALL EVER.

todd does what is needed to get the job done, plain and simple. love that fucker, even if he terrifies me.
top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #105
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

remember when the Lost writers said sometime near the end of the first season that there was no way they'd end the series with everyone being dead all along lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
i want to be cucked by cirno
One Winged Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #106
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by top View Post
there needs to be a .gif of todd mercilessly headshotting Jesse's girl. HOLY SHIT that guy doesn't show emotion AT ALL EVER.

todd does what is needed to get the job done, plain and simple. love that fucker, even if he terrifies me.
sociopathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
remember when the Lost writers said sometime near the end of the first season that there was no way they'd end the series with everyone being dead all along lol
again, fuck them
Old 09-23-2013, 06:36 PM   #107
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
They weren't dead all along. Once Jack died, the show fastforwarded to a special holding room where everyone from the island went when they died. The room said that the Island was the most important times in their lives and now they are all reunited. That the journey is what mattered, not the plot.

Aka it was a shitty cop out ending that any of us could have written better. Fuck that show and their incompetent ancient alien-like writers. Anyone who still cites that show (or Dexter now) as quality needs to watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hannibal, Sorpanos etc.

Gus's and Mike's backstory would be interesting to see explored in the Better Call Saul prequel, as he did know them, but I doubt they will go there.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #108
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tps222 View Post
They weren't dead all along. Once Jack died, the show fastforwarded to a special holding room where everyone from the island went when they died. The room said that the Island was the most important times in their lives and now they are all reunited. That the journey is what mattered, not the plot.

Aka it was a shitty cop out ending that any of us could have written better. Fuck that show and their incompetent ancient alien-like writers. Anyone who still cites that show (or Dexter now) as quality needs to watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Hannibal, Sorpanos etc.

Gus's and Mike's backstory would be interesting to see explored in the Better Call Saul prequel, as he did know them, but I doubt they will go there.
Actually the big theory going around at the start of the series was that the island was Purgatory. People figured that was the "big reveal" even at the end of the first episode or two. And then the writers were like, "Pffftt, uhh... NOOOO." >.> <.<

And then when the finale, years later, rolls around, it turns out that they took the Purgatory idea and just changed it up a bit. The island was no longer Purgatory. Purgatory was Purgatory, in the form of the flash-sideways. The island was just there for kicks, and they explained EVERYTHING through "lol exotic matter" even when it didn't make sense (even in terms of the show's internal logic).

"The journey is what mattered / it's all about the characters" is a fucking copout. EVERY STORY is about characters. Characters are essential for a story to even work. If you're going to focus on awesome character interactions, then don't waste so much time on gimmicky island bullshit that apparently doesn't mean anything in the end. You can't say "it's all about the journey" as an excuse to not glue your fucking plot together.

No, the writers *did* try to make a grand-scale narrative and just wrote themselves into a corner. Tossing out mystery after mystery was interesting and attracted viewers. We all assumed they knew what they were doing even if they had to let certain plotlines grow organically. Turns out they really had no fucking idea and dismissed most of the mechanics in the end.

It was intellectually insulting. "Hey look over here, emotional fulfillment!" is what they wound up invoking, hoping that you'd be too busy sobbing over the characters dying and reuniting to notice that "Hey, none of this shit makes much sense and they're ignoring some pretty massive elements!"

Anyways, regarding Better Call Saul I doubt they'll go into Gus' backstory because Vince Gilligan has explicitly said that he'd rather go the Pulp Fiction route with it (i.e. his backstory is a McGuffin like the glowing briefcase in Pulp Fiction). It doesn't matter really what the backstory is -- you know it's just going to be awesome, violent, crazy, unusual, etc -- so anything goes. Same goes with Mike.

Personally, I think the spinoff is a bad idea. Some characters work well precisely because they're in the right context. Saul is effective as a side-character for comic relief and greasing the narrative joints, so to speak. But for an entire show, I don't know. It reminds of of when they decided to create the Joey spinoff from Friends because he was just-so-darn-funny, but it flopped hard. I worry this spinoff will suffer the same fate unless they do something other than "let's listen to Saul make witty one-liners for an hour."

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-23-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #109
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

fuck LOST
Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #110
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
fuck LOST
Remember when Jack wanted to start a war with the others?
Remember when Ben had a box that held in it anything you could possibly want?
Remember the question mark in the jungle?
Remember dat brainwashing scene?

It's okay though because I actually enjoy loose ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #111
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

this comment from another blog sums it up well:

the writers spent six seasons slowly placing hundreds of pieces of a seemingly huge puzzle on the table, then linked five of them together and said "ta-daa! It was a bunny all along. The rest of this stuff is just random crap we made up to throw you off."

to which, of course, some people replied "a bunny! How clever! Don't you see, guys? All this time, we thought it was about the puzzle... but it was really about the bunny."

Last edited by Reincarnate; 09-24-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #112
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
sociopathy
yep.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #113
HalfStep
Can't AAA anything
FFR Veteran

hype?

4th Official Tournament - D1 34th Place
5th Official Tournament - D3 Last Place
8th Official Tournament - D3 3rd Place
TSR's Summer Golf Tournament - D4 2nd Place
FFR Multiplayer Tournament 2013 - D5 12th Place
YoshL's Tournament of Mediocrity - 2nd Place
TSR's Rates Tournament - Standard 2nd Place
DRG's Team Tournament - Intermediate 1st Place
9th Official FFR Tournament - D5 35th Place

HalfStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #114
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Anyways, regarding Better Call Saul I doubt they'll go into Gus' backstory because Vince Gilligan has explicitly said that he'd rather go the Pulp Fiction route with it (i.e. his backstory is a McGuffin like the glowing briefcase in Pulp Fiction). It doesn't matter really what the backstory is -- you know it's just going to be awesome, violent, crazy, unusual, etc -- so anything goes. Same goes with Mike.

Personally, I think the spinoff is a bad idea. Some characters work well precisely because they're in the right context. Saul is effective as a side-character for comic relief and greasing the narrative joints, so to speak. But for an entire show, I don't know. It reminds of of when they decided to create the Joey spinoff from Friends because he was just-so-darn-funny, but it flopped hard. I worry this spinoff will suffer the same fate unless they do something other than "let's listen to Saul make witty one-liners for an hour."
when i first heard about it, the only thought that popped up in my head was that the show would be a hard fail. BUT my friend made an interesting point when he said, "it's gonna be by the same guy, vince gilligan. so..who knows?"

Gilligan's got an amazing mind when it comes to plot twists etc. like holy shit he curves away from the predictable so fuckin hard it makes my head spin
Old 09-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #115
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

i'm ready
Old 09-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #116
awein999
(ಠ⌣ಠ)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to awein999

hype so strong
awein999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #117
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

predictions for who's going to get ricin'd?

at this point I think Lydia is the most probable, but honestly, I have no fscking idea. seems like the tea thing needs to come into play somehow. maybe.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #118
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Close-up on tea = Definitely ricin'd

Of course, I'm watching an INCREDIBLY SHITTY live stream online so my judgement is nil. I gotta wait until I can torrent this and watch with some quality.

EDIT: Goddamnit you missed Todd.

REEDIT: Praise the lord.

REREEDIT: I was right

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 09-29-2013 at 09:10 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #119
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

It's over
Old 09-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #120
One Winged Angel
Anime Avatars ( ◜◡^)っ✂╰⋃╯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran