Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Films and Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #61
Prime8
Awwwwwww!
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Cloverfield

Wow. I'm surprised so many, in fact any, people liked this movie. In no means am I trying to throw hyperboles around, but this was in fact the worst movie I've ever seen. Although the shaky motion did make me a bit queasy, it's not my whole reason for hating this film. The ending was a bit off, but I can see why it was chosen to end that way. My main complaint is that if this is supposed to be about a "real person's" perspective an all, then why are there so many things that don't make sense or are downright impossible to happen in reality.

*spoilers perhaps*
1) The Army just comes out of nowhere several times right behind the main characters and starts blowing things up. You'd think you could hear a tank and stuff coming up your rear.
2) The camera has THE best battery life I've ever seen because it lasts that entire night and into the morning. There's not even an indication that the camera is running low.
3) Not only is it long-lasting, the camera is indestructible because nothing from the impact of the helicopter crash to the 100+ ft. plunge to the ground to the bridge collapsing on could destroy it.
4) When the initial "attack" happens and there's that whole "earthquake" that knocks out the power for several adjacent blocks, yet the apartment where the party takes place is unaffected whatsoever. Even the TV reception is perfect.
5) When they go to the electronics store, why would Spongebob Squarepants be on? I guess it was for some comedic relief, but it's past midnight, and they don't show any of that kind of stuff on Nickolodean. At that time, Nick-at-Nite shows like Fresh Prince or Roseanne. It's a regular episode too, so it's not like the store would have a tape of one of the movies or whatever in.
6) Again, when they're at the electronic store and he uses his cell phone to call the girl, it doesn't show him putting in the new battery. How could he have seamlessly opened the plastic whatever it is to get the battery out and then put it in if the camera never turned off during that time? He must have incredible hand strength and agility to assemble it all together that fast.
7) Why did it take so long for the Army personnel to realize the one chick was bitten when it's apparently so deadly a case? If "biters" explode like that, you'd think they would have noticed the big chunk of her back and shoulder missing and quarantined her or whatever they do in such a case.
8) When they go down into the subway, how can the guy talk with his mom on the cell phone to tell them what's going on? There's no way there is any reception underneath all of that steel and concrete, especially enough to hear that clearly. They couldn't get hardly any signal while on the bridge or in the streets, but the subway works perfectly?

There's more, but those are the ones that stuck out the most to me.

The story itself didn't appeal to me in the least. Another story where against all odds, the guy follows his heart and tries to get the girl he wants. Been there, done that. Seeing as how The Blair Witch Project tried the home-video feel and how much of a flop that was, I should have taken that as an indication to how this movie was going to turn out.
Prime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #62
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Its a movie, deal with it. There are usually a lot of things in movies that are beyond something that would happen in real life. Movies are not always supposed to be about realism.

If they had the movie going by how long the battery life was or how destrucble the camera was there would be no movie. Just like 30 minutes maybe of video. Also the Spongebob things is a really stupid thing to complain about.

Last edited by cC@Zz; 01-24-2008 at 06:33 PM..
cC@Zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #63
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

You can get reception in the subway, especially if you're near an exit.

Hud kept turning the camera off - at the very least, pausing it. That's why the movie isn't seven hours long. The camera usually goes in to Standby mode when not recording after a few minutes, if the view finder isn't open. It can last an entire night like that.

The Spongebob thing is a clue about the monster's whereabouts.

The power DID go out at Rob's place - it just came back on. Like the power did for the rest of the city. How this would affect cable, who knows, that's just kind of nitpicky.

It took the army so long to realize that she was bitten because her bite was covered up by her sweater.

Hud isn't covering Rob while he's in the store. He very well could have gotten a knife and opened the cell phone battery. Half the time, Hud is covering the TVs and the fight down the street. You know, with the military you claim is inivisble and silent.

I assumed that most of the time the camera was falling, it was falling ONTO Hud. Even in the copter - I assumed he took the brunt of most of the fall. As well as after the monster bit him in half - his upper torso softened the blow.

Any others?

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #64
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

OH MY GOD you called Blair Witch a flop?!

The ratio to dollars spent producing the movie vs. dollars made, it was THE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE EVER.

Jesus, your pedantic argument is null and void. Good lord, I can't believe how ignorant you are.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #65
arsonistsgetallthegirls
FFR Player

That's exactly why this movie turned me off a little prime8...
The parts that were unrealistic kinda took away from the point of using home video.

It is by no means "the worst movie I've ever seen", but it's not the incredible movie people make it out to be.

It is at worst, refreshing for an action movie.

[Trust me, This user is your friend.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
Holy ****, civility in the forums?! My head just asploded.
Wait, What?
arsonistsgetallthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #66
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime8 View Post
Wow. I'm surprised so many, in fact any, people liked this movie. In no means am I trying to throw hyperboles around, but this was in fact the worst movie I've ever seen. Although the shaky motion did make me a bit queasy, it's not my whole reason for hating this film. The ending was a bit off, but I can see why it was chosen to end that way. My main complaint is that if this is supposed to be about a "real person's" perspective an all, then why are there so many things that don't make sense or are downright impossible to happen in reality.

*spoilers perhaps*
1) The Army just comes out of nowhere several times right behind the main characters and starts blowing things up. You'd think you could hear a tank and stuff coming up your rear.
2) The camera has THE best battery life I've ever seen because it lasts that entire night and into the morning. There's not even an indication that the camera is running low.
3) Not only is it long-lasting, the camera is indestructible because nothing from the impact of the helicopter crash to the 100+ ft. plunge to the ground to the bridge collapsing on could destroy it.
4) When the initial "attack" happens and there's that whole "earthquake" that knocks out the power for several adjacent blocks, yet the apartment where the party takes place is unaffected whatsoever. Even the TV reception is perfect.
5) When they go to the electronics store, why would Spongebob Squarepants be on? I guess it was for some comedic relief, but it's past midnight, and they don't show any of that kind of stuff on Nickolodean. At that time, Nick-at-Nite shows like Fresh Prince or Roseanne. It's a regular episode too, so it's not like the store would have a tape of one of the movies or whatever in.
6) Again, when they're at the electronic store and he uses his cell phone to call the girl, it doesn't show him putting in the new battery. How could he have seamlessly opened the plastic whatever it is to get the battery out and then put it in if the camera never turned off during that time? He must have incredible hand strength and agility to assemble it all together that fast.
7) Why did it take so long for the Army personnel to realize the one chick was bitten when it's apparently so deadly a case? If "biters" explode like that, you'd think they would have noticed the big chunk of her back and shoulder missing and quarantined her or whatever they do in such a case.
8) When they go down into the subway, how can the guy talk with his mom on the cell phone to tell them what's going on? There's no way there is any reception underneath all of that steel and concrete, especially enough to hear that clearly. They couldn't get hardly any signal while on the bridge or in the streets, but the subway works perfectly?

The story itself didn't appeal to me in the least. Another story where against all odds, the guy follows his heart and tries to get the girl he wants. Been there, done that. Seeing as how The Blair Witch Project tried the home-video feel and how much of a flop that was, I should have taken that as an indication to how this movie was going to turn out.
Lmao, so you were going into a monster movie thinking there would be a 100% realistic feel....what the hell dude where's the imagination these days..

Epic thread killer
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #67
Prime8
Awwwwwww!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAiOnEi View Post
Lmao, so you were going into a monster movie thinking there would be a 100% realistic feel....what the hell dude where's the imagination these days..
Well the realistic feel and view were being so hyped, I expected at least something of the sort. A monster movie from an everyday man's perspective. I didn't even bother talking about the monster's unknown existence, reason for attacking, or features, just the plot of the main characters.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #68
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456

to tell you the truth, i wouldnt mind see more movies with a hand held camera point of view. like i said before, it gets you into the movie more. Makes the chaos seem more chaotic

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)
Adamaja456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #69
Prime8
Awwwwwww!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
OH MY GOD you called Blair Witch a flop?!

The ratio to dollars spent producing the movie vs. dollars made, it was THE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIE EVER.

Jesus, your pedantic argument is null and void. Good lord, I can't believe how ignorant you are.
When I say flop, I don't mean that it didn't make a nice gross figure. It did well in the theaters, especially with such a low budget put into it. I was commenting on how bad I thought the movie was. Sorry for the misconception.

Last edited by Prime8; 01-24-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 PM   #70
arsonistsgetallthegirls
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShAiOnEi View Post
Ha, good point there, but the contradictions distracted me from the movie a little.
The hype was meant to give viewers a feeling that this could happen in some strange series of events.

[Trust me, This user is your friend.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
Holy ****, civility in the forums?! My head just asploded.
Wait, What?

Last edited by arsonistsgetallthegirls; 01-24-2008 at 06:45 PM..
arsonistsgetallthegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #71
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonistsgetallthegirls View Post
Ha, good point there, but the contradictions distracted me from the movie a little.
The hype was meant to give viewers a feeling that this could happen in some strange series of events.
Well when I watch a movie I usually don't dwell on the imperfections because I came to the movie to try to enjoy it. Overall I liked this movie greatly, the shaky camera didn't bother me because I expected it to be like a real life video taped document as shown in the previews.

My most favorite moment was when this monster was finally revealed and the reality of the situation began to sink in to which I was full immersed in the movie, as if I was taking the video myself. Lol at one point I found myself talking to the screen. I guess one reason why I enjoyed this movie so much is that I am very imaginative in nature and I could enjoy it much better than others.

The whole point of this movie I think is to just sit tight and immerse yourself and feel what the other characters might be feeling in that sort of situation.

Epic thread killer

Last edited by ShAiOnEi; 01-24-2008 at 07:07 PM..
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #72
Mr.Nothing
R.I.P. Steve <3
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Nothing

IMO, I give Cloverfield a 9/10.
People that think it sucked basically went to the movie to find it's imperfections.
The movie had excellent camera quality, and the shakiness just made it seem like it was actual video documentation. At no point during the movie was I thinking to myself, they could have done this and that better, more like, I would have done this, rather than this, if I were in their situation.

REALIZE THAT THE MOVIE ISNT SUPPOSED TO SEEM LIKE A SPIELBURG PRODUCTION.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #73
RB_Dreamscanner
☭Retired Top One Hander☭
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to RB_Dreamscanner

What the hell is the monster? Where did it come from?

Retired, Finished at rank 295, Top one hander on FFR
RB_Dreamscanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 PM   #74
Mr.Nothing
R.I.P. Steve <3
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Dreamscanner View Post
What the hell is the monster? Where did it come from?
The monster is a:
4 legged believed aquatic creature, with a seemingly long tail. It's jaws take up the majority of it's face and it has two small, beady eyes. I believe it was supposedly 26 stories tall, and it was a very pale gray color. We don't know what it is exactly or where it came from, but it should all be revealed in Cloverfield 2: The Origin, coming out in December of '09.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #75
Danrainbow6
FFR Player

Cloverfield is probably the best monster movie i've seen so far. 9.9/10. They just need to clarify how Hud's camera survived the Hammerdown Protocol, if Lilly got away, and if Rob & Beth are still alive (Probably not). Also, it's not too late to play the Cloverfield ARG (well, sort of, not really) to partially understand what the heck is going on.

Quote:

*spoilers perhaps*
4) When the initial "attack" happens and there's that whole "earthquake" that knocks out the power for several adjacent blocks, yet the apartment where the party takes place is unaffected whatsoever. Even the TV reception is perfect.'s not like the store would have a tape of one of the movies or whatever in.
5) When they go to the electronics store, why would Spongebob Squarepants be on? I guess it was for some comedic relief, but it's past midnight, and they don't show any of that kind of stuff on Nickolodean. At that time, Nick-at-Nite shows like Fresh Prince or Roseanne. It's a regular episode too, so it

To respond to some of the questions and try to answer them...

Fort Dix is the closest military base to New York City and they can mobilize in more/less 90 minutes.

The military is way too preoccupied with trying to take the monster down, because remember what that soldier said, "Whatever that thing is, it's winning." and when Marlena mentioned she didn't feel too good, the natural response is for a medic to come to her aid and that's when they realized she was bitten by those "Parasites."

Sometimes, I get perfect signal in the most random places, for Rob, that would be in the subway, for my friend, that would be 30,000 feet in the air, when his phone is suppose to be off.

Ahh, my head hurts, if anyone wants a stab at these questions, be my guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewpinthethird View Post
WARNING: DON'T KILL YOURSELF BECAUSE OF FFR, PEOPLE WILL JUST LAUGH AND CALL YOU AN IDIOT.
Danrainbow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #76
Prime8
Awwwwwww!
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrainbow6 View Post
Fort Dix is the closest military base to New York City and they can mobilize in more/less 90 minutes.
I'm sure there are Army Bases in and around NYC. I was merely questioning how you could not hear the Army until the camera turned around and it showed the men running and shooting with guns. Also, since there were tanks and stuff, I'd imagine you could hear them rolling along in the streets. I don't wonder if and how the army could get in NYC, just the fact that the main characters will be walking along, then the Army is seemingly steps behind them and they unleash all they got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrainbow6 View Post
The military is way too preoccupied with trying to take the monster down, because remember what that soldier said, "Whatever that thing is, it's winning." and when Marlena mentioned she didn't feel too good, the natural response is for a medic to come to her aid and that's when they realized she was bitten by those "Parasites."
It's just that since there seemed to be a large medical operation going on, seeing all the beds filled with people and all, that someone there would have noticed her condition. Sure the Army is fighting the monster, but there's plenty of staff right there tending to the wounded. I just figured one of the medics would have noticed her bite. MalReynolds mentioned that she had a sweater completely covering it, so that might be the reason why they didn't react to her until they did. I can't remember if she did or didn't have it covered up like this, so his response might be the answer to that question.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #77
cC@Zz
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Nothing View Post
all be revealed in Cloverfield 2: The Origin, coming out in December of '09.
Already been made.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #78
eric25
FFR Player

definately the funniest thing ive seen in a long time. the tunnel scene and when the girl explodes......priceless
eric25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #79
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
When I say flop, I don't mean that it didn't make a nice gross figure. It did well in the theaters, especially with such a low budget put into it. I was commenting on how bad I thought the movie was. Sorry for the misconception.
Then I apologize for my harsh words.

But a flop and a movie you don't like - 2 different things =D

EDIT:

And I saw the movie 3 times. Her wound is covered by the sweater - that bugged me, that she would put the sweater back on, because that would chafe. She also had it bandaged pretty well.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #80
LLaMaSaUceYup
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via MSN to LLaMaSaUceYup Send a message via Yahoo to LLaMaSaUceYup

I JUST saw it, I got a ton more then I expected, and enjoyed it from start to finish.
I wish it were longer, I didn't want it to end really.
I saw it alone, which meant no distractions, and felt like I was there.

Man, what a rush, felt like a ride at a theme park. I would DEFINITELY see it again, and probably will.
LLaMaSaUceYup is offline   Reply With Quote