Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #41
Laharl
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Laharl Send a message via MSN to Laharl
Default Re: The end of the world

I vaguely recall something about a dragon with 7 heads and 10 tails being unleashed when the armies of Gog and Magog try to take over the world, or something. I'm shaky on Revelations.

The non-religious answer is the Law of Entropy. I honestly doubt there will ever be a nuclear winter, and humanity isn't capable of completely wiping itself out. There will never be something extreme enough so that there won't be a victorious side in some massive conflict that both sides end up completely taking each other out. It's just not possible. End of civilization as we know it, possibly, but end of the world, no.
Laharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 PM   #42
Mystik3345
FFR Player

Depends on what you mean by the end of the world. If you mean the end of civilization, who knows? If you mean the destruction of the Earth itself, it will be consumed by the Sun when it expands into a Red Giant. By that time though, we will be so advanced we will more than likely not live on the Earth anyways, more than likely in the next 1,000 years we will move to space colonies(floating and on other planets). Most people consider the end of the world as when all humans die, but that is just ridiculous
Old 10-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #43
Hachi86
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Hachi86

Why wouldnt mankind be able to wipe itself out? If there was in fact a nuclear war, and the projected outcome of both sides just unloading on each other actually came to pass, the ecosystem would not be able to take that. If the initial explosions and fallout didnt kill people off, then the subsequent nuclear winter (which is in fact totally possible) would.

250 in the Un-Catfish Pact of 2007

Class: Spread (Sub class - ASKL)
HP: 225 (16th stream combo speed)
Strength: 190 (max jack speed)
Defense: 165 (16th jump stream speed)
Speed: 280 (pass stream speed)
Accuracy: 89 (average percent of marvs)
Stamina: 250 (consistent 16th stream survival)
Evasion: 679 (comfort scroll rate)
Hachi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #44
Laharl
FFR Player

We'd figure something out. Humanity is resourceful like that. Unless the ENTIRE HUMAN POPULACE was hit at the exact same time, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't happen, there'd be enough people that would survive that eventually, the earth would be repopulated.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Old 10-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #45
studmuffin51306
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to studmuffin51306

How about REM's theory?

That's great, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, an aeroplane and Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
Eye of a hurricane, listen to yourself churn - world serves its own needs, dummy serve your own needs.
Feed it off an aux speak, grunt, no, strength, Ladder start to clatter with fear fight down height.
Wire in a fire, representing seven games, a government for hire and a combat site.
Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies breathing down your neck.
Team by team reporters baffled, trumped, tethered cropped.
Look at that low playing! Fine, then.
Uh oh, overflow, population, common food, but it'll do.
Save yourself, serve yourself.
World serves its own needs, listen to your heart bleed dummy with the rapture and the revered and the right, right.
You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light, feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign towers.
Slash and burn, return, listen to yourself churn.
Locking in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate.
Light a candle, light a votive. Step down, step down.
Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh, this means no fear cavalier.
Renegade steer clear!
A tournament, tournament, a tournament of lies.
Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives, continental drift divide.
Mountains sit in a line, Leonard Bernstein. Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, boom!
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam book neck, right? Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it. can't I have some time alone?
It's the end of the world as we know it can't I have some time alone? and I feel fine...fine...

It's the end of the world as we know it. can't I have some time alone?
It's the end of the world as we know it can't I have some time alone? and I feel fine...fine...
studmuffin51306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:24 AM   #46
TK_Bakonfat69
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TK_Bakonfat69

Could someone explain that to me? I know that song and have heard it many times. I even like the song. But, to me, it just looks like a bunch of words. Is there some meaning I am missing?

TK_Bakonfat69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:04 AM   #47
D4rkAng3l
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

i think someone will nuke the earth, apocolypse, big fat astroid smashing into the world, that one inca thingy prediction, or global warming
dang, thats alot of ways for everyone to die
D4rkAng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #48
studmuffin51306
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to studmuffin51306

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Bakonfat69 View Post
Could someone explain that to me? I know that song and have heard it many times. I even like the song. But, to me, it just looks like a bunch of words. Is there some meaning I am missing?
I think it just really explains the panic that would go with the end of the world. The writer is just observing it instead of joining in. This is why he says "I feel fine". The song doesn't really give an answer to what will end the world, but just a prediction of the mass chaos that would come with the reaction.
studmuffin51306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM   #49
Swoop
FFR Player

I was watching the History channel about a month ago. They connected the Mayan people with the end of the world because their calender is a 10,000th of a day more acurate than that of our modern one. The predicted that the end of the world will come to an end or the apocylopse would be here at about every 26,000 years. Which is also about the time it takes the world to complete a wobble. If som don't know what that is, it is when the earth tips to one side then to the other, it's selfexplanatory. It does this while spinning and moving around the sun. Well the Mayans thought this because they were smarter than the greeks in astronomy. Like I said, every 26000 years. And the next 26000 year mark is December 12, 2012, which happens to be the year I graduate( doesnt that suck if thats true!). Back on topic. The Mayans thought that the population would dicipate to and anual volcanoe type thing. Just like the bottle neck in population when the "Cavemen" roamed. Not sure weather is was neanderthal, micronian, or what ever. The interesting thing the scientest found out that the bottle neck in population was within 100 years of one of the 26,000 year marks.

Another therie, this one is mine. If any of you have seen that sci fi movie AVP. They explain that when the aliens come and the mayans give a sacrafice for the great battle. But if the Preditors lose they make sure nothing lives. Well I think that could be possible even though mayan inscriptions on it though. But they might have not been allowed to do that though. The bomb that they set off could what causes the severe decrease in population.

p.s. If you know for a fact that some part of the first one is wrong, then please correct it.

Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:43 AM   #50
Laharl
FFR Player

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Nostradamus yet.

POINTLESSLY TAKING UP BANDWIDTH SINCE THE INCEPTION OF THE INTERNET
Old 10-14-2006, 12:50 AM   #51
DShot
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to DShot

GLOBAL WARMING!!!
i think it was new york that just got a blizzard. and was the most snow since 1917
DShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:06 AM   #52
Doug31
Falcon Paaaauuuunch!!!!!!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Doug31

Bush.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:45 PM   #53
Swoop
FFR Player

Cheney will go on a hunting spree and kill us all saying, "Woops I thought you were a deer."

Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:29 PM   #54
qualy
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to qualy Send a message via Yahoo to qualy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia

The end of the 13th b'ak'tun is conjectured to have been of great significance to the Maya, but does not necessarily mark the end of the world according to their beliefs, but a new beginning or time of re-birth. According to the Popol Vuh, a book compiling details of creation accounts known to the Quiché Maya of the colonial-era highlands, we are living in the fourth world. The Popol Vuh describes the first three creations that the gods failed in making and the creation of the successful fourth world where men were placed. The Maya believed that the fourth world would end in catastrophe and the fifth and final world would be created that would signal the end of mankind.

The last creation ended on a long count of 13.0.0.0.0. Another 13.0.0.0.0 will occur on December 21, 2012, and it has been discussed in many New Age articles and books that this will be the end of this creation or something else entirely. However, the Maya abbreviated their long counts to just the last five vigesimal places. There were an infinite number of larger units that were usually not shown. When the larger units were shown (notably on a monument from Coba), the end of the last creation is expressed as 13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.13.0.0.0.0, where the units are obviously supposed to be 13s in all larger places. In this age we are only approaching 0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.13.0.0.0.0, and the larger places are nowhere near the 13s that would match the end of the last creation. (Schele and Friedel 1990: 430)

This is confirmed by a date from Palenque, which projects forward in time to 1.0.0.0.0.0, which will occur on October 13, 4772. The Classic Period Maya likely did not believe that the end of this age would occur in 2012. According to the Maya, there will be a baktun ending in 2012, a significant event being the end of a 13th 400 year period, but not the end of the world.
I don't know what to think about the world "ending" sometime during the year 2012, but there are 2 separate prophecies relating to the year. This one, which marks the end of the Mayan Calendar, and the prophecy of the popes stated that Pope Benedict XVI would be the pope to see the beginning of the tribulation which is basically when a whole bunch of bad stuff comes to earth in groups of 7 and pretty much screws us all. :P

of course this is all according to wikipedia. I personally think that the human race itself would end in some other catastrophe or that it would end by some experiment gone wrong (I'm looking at particle accelerators here).
qualy is offline   Reply With Quote