Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: How would (do) you raise your children?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
I forgot to add, I would definitely raise my kids with shows and games I loved as a kid, like samurai pizza cats and stuff like that. Most cartoons/games nowadays just aren't as fun as the old 80's and 90's stuff imo. :')
Be careful of this. Times change and sometimes it's better to change with them.

I think parents simply want their kids to enjoy the same things that they did but sometimes it doesn't work. It's like how a father might have loved baseball as a kid, but their child might hate it with every fiber of their being.

That being said, TMNT >>>>>> SPC
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #42
Herogashix
Descension from Heaven
FFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Nope.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #43
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FontSize72LOL View Post
Explain ageist pish posh.
I'm older and wiser than you are and therefore any argument I put forth is automatically correct because you're just a kid who doesn't know anything yet. Now shut up and get me another beer!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #44
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

Quote:

I think parents simply want their kids to enjoy the same things that they did but sometimes it doesn't work. It's like how a father might have loved baseball as a kid, but their child might hate it with every fiber of their being.

That being said, TMNT >>>>>> SPC
I can't see any reason not to show your kids things you enjoy.
"Hey Foil. What's that you got there?" inquired Keywii.
"Oh, just my cock." Replied Foil.
"That just will not do." was keywii's response as she lunged for the scissors, pulled the blades apart, and clamped them down on the base of foil's shaft. Blood start gushing out of the wound where his penis used to be.
"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Yelled Foil in horror.
"Don't worry. I'm a wizard" uttered Keywii. And with that, Foil's penis grew back.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #45
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight

Quote:
I'm older and wiser than you are and therefore any argument I put forth is automatically correct because you're just a kid who doesn't know anything yet. Now shut up and get me another beer!
yes father.

just don't hit me again. ;_;
Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #46
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
I can't see any reason not to show your kids things you enjoy.
You can show it obviously -- just don't force it. A ton of parents fall into this trap... "When I was your age I..." type arguments.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #47
FontSize72LOL
☆~{2D <3}~☆
FFR Veteran

Quote:
A lot of the time that is correct. Some Parents have life experiences influencing their decisions that the kid couldn't even comprehend. I agree the parent is not right all the time, but there should be a certain amount of respect for your parent nonetheless. Ageist being used in a parent/child situation is just retarded.

Get Kancho'd

FontSize72LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #48
Hazelle
Let's GO.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Hazelle

Kids? Nop. Dogs? Yes.
Hazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #49
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

im going to be an awesome parent you guys dont even know

spanking will be included
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #50
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FontSize72LOL View Post
A lot of the time that is correct. Some Parents have life experiences influencing their decisions that the kid couldn't even comprehend. I agree the parent is not right all the time, but there should be a certain amount of respect for your parent nonetheless. Ageist being used in a parent/child situation is just retarded.
This is what I mean, though. Going by age is just an "appeal to authority" fallacy. An adult can be very experienced but still be incredibly suboptimal in terms of decision making and judgment.

A good system/argument trumps everything, and that can be had at any age. If there's something your child doesn't comprehend, then you should make it a point to help them comprehend. You don't just fall back to "Well, I'm older than you, and I just know, so get over it and accept it." That's just as bad as "Because I said so." It's non-explanation and doesn't have any built-in checks/balances against being a *bad* explanation or decision.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #51
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
My child will be raised properly, starting with Pokemon Red/Blue first. :')
I was going to reply but then I saw this.
Case closed.

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #52
Izzy
Snek

I kind of wish my parents introduced me to the things they grew up with. I think they just didn't have them anymore. As far as media goes it wasn't as easy as it is now to hold onto.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #53
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

also my kids will be smarter and more beautiful than everybody else's here.

just so happens i have superior jeans
Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #54
andy-o24
Private Messages, please.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to andy-o24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH5ou8z-vxs

That's not exactly the point of the commercial, obviously, but I like to look at it for these situations. The whole, take the opportunity when frustrated with your child to teach them something.

As far as any kids I end up with I think it will vary with the situations my kids present to me. I will try to talk to them, make them understand what they have done wrong, and let them think over it until they can truly apologize for what they've done. I will encourage whatever it is they want to do, within reason. I will read to them from an early age and try to keep their minds sharp by encouraging them to put together puzzles and things of that nature.

I know my parents spanked me and sent me to my room and had remedial punishments like opening/closing the door ten times if I slammed it. Retrospectively, these don't seem like they did much, but I can understand using them and having them be somewhat effective on smaller children.

I remember in third or fourth grade, I was charged with sexual harassment (I think that was a stretch, but I guess it's on my record as such). I remember coming home, getting lectured about it, and being told I was grounded from T.V/computer/going outside for three months. The grounding lasted maybe a week and I feel I was short-changed sufficient time to think it over as a child.

As an 'adult' now, not a week has gone by where I haven't had that pop into my head. I still see the girls I allegedly harassed, and there is still some tension (at least for me) between us. What I'm trying to get across is that maybe less punishment, letting it run it's course within your child until they actually realize what they've done and apologize, is a better course of action. Self-punishment lasts longer than temporary punishments such as spanking.

-o24

When the game isn't fun for you anymore, take a break. It's not a job, nobody here is professional and getting paid to play and force themselves to constantly improve... it's a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashakiro View Post
Yeah, FFR is addicting...I don't think I'll get bored with this game unless I somehow become the best at it, which won't happen.
andy-o24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #55
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

Well this certainly turned into an interesting discussion. A lot of posts echoing points I made from actual experience in the first reply, neat.

I must say that it is good that Marcus pointed out the 'bs answer' vs. 'A chance to educate your child'. I couldn't agree more. When marissa had just turned 3, she asked me why she could see through the windows on the bus. So I explained transparency, and how some things are transparent, which allows us to see through them. Since then, if Marissa encounters a new object/situation and notices something is 'see-through' she'll tell me or someone else how that object is transparent because she can see through it. With one little 2 minute explanation, I have enhanced her understanding of her world around her, and she will carry this into her further years of education and life.

Keep in mind that this is but one of a multitude of scenarios where I have used a proper explanation and taken the chance to educate my daughter on something, as opposed to the fast/easy/lazy route of "just because". I'd hate to think of the sheltered perception of her environment she would have if it weren't for these little situations
nois-or-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #56
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #57
popsicle_3000
Legendary Noob

Send a message via Skype™ to popsicle_3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nois-or-e View Post
Well this certainly turned into an interesting discussion. A lot of posts echoing points I made from actual experience in the first reply, neat.

I must say that it is good that Marcus pointed out the 'bs answer' vs. 'A chance to educate your child'. I couldn't agree more. When marissa had just turned 3, she asked me why she could see through the windows on the bus. So I explained transparency, and how some things are transparent, which allows us to see through them. Since then, if Marissa encounters a new object/situation and notices something is 'see-through' she'll tell me or someone else how that object is transparent because she can see through it. With one little 2 minute explanation, I have enhanced her understanding of her world around her, and she will carry this into her further years of education and life.

Keep in mind that this is but one of a multitude of scenarios where I have used a proper explanation and taken the chance to educate my daughter on something, as opposed to the fast/easy/lazy route of "just because". I'd hate to think of the sheltered perception of her environment she would have if it weren't for these little situations
All for this. I won't shy away from explaining how things are. I remember when I was around 7 asking my dad how sex worked. He told me the entire thing, no fluffing around. Said matter of factly of course. I was like, ok! That's how it works. No lasting harm or loss of innocence. Someone that age can take something at face value as just a fAct of nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
39,000 popsicles pro bg blue note arrow slayer whoa damn..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
one way to stream them all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Right after sex, it skillboosted me by +10 levels from like a 35-45 about. (Which then 15 min's later I got really tired and couldn't play anymore)

But then my lady friend got pissed off I was playing FFR instead of playing her. Then for the rest of the night she played the 'Only want me for my body' card and I didn't get to sleep with blankets that night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunfan View Post
replacing ifitypedhisnameaslargeashisnamesuggests,iwouldgetbanned with theelongatedaustrocanadian3000 (pop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
Title: Popsicle Three

Thousand the farthest
He's gone in an official
Whoop hip hip hooray!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
kjwkjw: "oh my god, Tosh. Post that in the thread."

@popsicle_3000:
Danger incoming
The popsicles are melting
Three thousand of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
you got to ease the topic into some conversation and let it go from there

dynam0: man friend that was an intense sm session right?
friend: haha yeah you really nailed those patterns
dynam0: yeah man kind of like how gay dudes nail other gay dudes in the ass!
friend: hey bro can i tell you something
dynam0 yeah man whats up?
friend: hypothetically speaking would you care if i was bisexual or maybe even gay?
dynam0: bro we shower together after sm sessions all the time and i'll still shower with you even if you are gay or w/e thats your thing just dont try to ram my ass HAHAHA
friend: thanks man
dynam0: no problem man
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Winged Angel View Post
pop takin' time out of playing irl Trauma Center to check in on his fiffer buds (mm)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Well, Popsicle won every award this year so it was canceled.
popsicle_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #58
hi19hi19
lol happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle_3000 View Post
All for this. I won't shy away from explaining how things are. I remember when I was around 7 asking my dad how sex worked. He told me the entire thing, no fluffing around. Said matter of factly of course. I was like, ok! That's how it works. No lasting harm or loss of innocence. Someone that age can take something at face value as just a fAct of nature
Also echoing this.
I'm pretty upfront and frank about everything I do, and I'll be that way with my kids too.
I was brought up that way and I am absolutely glad I was. The world already has so much ignorance, why add to it when you can teach instead?

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #59
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
You can show it obviously -- just don't force it. A ton of parents fall into this trap... "When I was your age I..." type arguments.
Oh no, like I explained in my initial post, I wouldn't push my kids into anything they don't want.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #60
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

freedom to make mistakes and feel consequences for themselves

bubble wrapping your child is the worst idea of parenting and will isolate your child. it'll never get the chance to learn from making mistakes and feel the real value of failure, rather than just be told it's wrong and not really know why.