Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
lol kommisar

stop judging fucen everything
NO im tryna lengthen my stepmania resume
Old 03-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #42
Typh00n203
FFR Player

Default Re: Pack in Progress: QED Anime Stepfiles 33-64

Still bickering about this arnt we h3h3.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #43
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablefoxdog View Post
I don't really know why you're saying things like that. First of all, QED's simfiles aren't junk. It took him quite a lot of time to make all of them. So please respect others creations.

Secondly, i know that Otaku's Dream stepfiles are different from his (i know because i play them too. I even have the 5th one with all varieties). But QED's stepfile are far more rythme oriented than OD's.

Personaly, i play OD's files mostly for challenge, but most of the time i like to enjoy fun stepfiles like Jubo's or QED's, which i find myself playing over and over again, enjoying the music, and not having overburned fingers.
And QED's stepfiles are really special in a way that he puts steps in the right place, in the right moment. His sync is near perfection. If you want fun stepfiles, QED is the best. If you want to challenge yourself in stepmania, go for Otaku's Dream. (which reminds me, never play them with HP keyboards, they really suck)

And keep up the good work QED, you have my support.

not saying this to be mean but you probably suck at sm.

also syncing a constant bpm song is rly hard
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #44
kommisar[os]
Banned

Send a message via AIM to kommisar[os] Send a message via MSN to kommisar[os]

kommisar's nazi review

bamboo beat: (-) 2/10
-right off the bat, you make the mistake of adding invisible 8th jumps when they should obviously be 4ths only.
-measure 3 the only thing you're following right is the percussion 16ths. the rest is missing tons of jump opportunities and everything else is basically being ignored.
-measure 7 I don't hear any 16th notes.
-invisible 16ths. listen to the song; they don't exist.
-measure 10 there's nothing there. stop putting arrows.
-measure 11 it feels like you followed vocals, put a blindfold on and added 8th notes to fill in wherever.
-measure 14 I still don't hear 16ths notes. why are you using them.
-invisible 16ths the rest of the song. quit out

Last edited by kommisar[os]; 03-29-2009 at 07:14 PM..
Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #45
Djr Rap dancer
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Should this not be close by now.
It's coming retardly serious.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #46
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djr Rap dancer View Post
Should this not be close by now.
Quote:
Quote:
retardly serious.
Quote:
retardly serious.
Of course.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #47
ablefoxdog
FFR Player

Quote:
not saying this to be mean but you probably suck at sm
I know i'm not the best player around, but i wouldn't say that i suck in it.

Proof :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4D8-...e=channel_page

I also play OD's stepfiles, but i enjoy playing QED's more. I respect both Otaku's Dream's and QED's work, so please don't misunderstand me.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #48
QED Stepfiles
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to QED Stepfiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar[os] View Post
kommisar's nazi review

-right off the bat, you make the mistake of adding invisible 8th jumps when they should obviously be 4ths only.
-measure 3 the only thing you're following right is the percussion 16ths. the rest is missing tons of jump opportunities and everything else is basically being ignored.
-measure 11 it feels like you followed vocals, put a blindfold on and added 8th notes to fill in wherever.
Well, thanks for taking the time to review my file. But, didn't you miss the point considering almost all your complaints were about invisible notes? I spent all of like 5 paragraphs down there explaining why I step the way I step. Every single "invisible" note was put there with thought beforehand.

And I quote:

"So yes, I've gotten a fair share of comments about allegedly "stepping to no sounds." Ironically *cough cough*, some of these comments even came from Otaku's Dream, for the short time I was part of their community. In a sense, these comments are completely called for, since it is true that many of my steps do not match with any particular sound in the song.

Ultimately, this is because in my style, I do not step to a song, but rather with a song. That is to say, I try to write steps that complement the music that I'm working with. The steps act for me like a "separate track" almost, and considering that FFR/stepmania is a rhythm game, this "separate track" usually is a percussion track. Of course, this is helped by the fact that I am primarily a keyboard writer, and the fingers make a pretty loud tapping noise when you play with a keyboard.

This is why I often seem to step to no sounds. The step itself may not go with any real sound, but the step sequence fits in with the song as a whole. The best way to see this without actually playing the song is letting my files run through with the assist tick - then you'll be able to hear precisely what was running through my head when I wrote that "random" 16 stream where there was just pure silence in the song. I think Patashu was vaguely on the right track when he said that these are "made-up exaggerations," but I'd like to think that they aren't really exaggerations at all, but rather just a new way of looking at the song that heightens the listening (and consequently the playing) experience."

Last edited by QED Stepfiles; 03-29-2009 at 09:30 PM..
Old 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #49
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar[os] View Post
kommisar's nazi review

hey

hey

your objectivity is constraining his transcendental artistic vision

would you give 2/10 to kil???

you can't confine art thanks
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #50
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablefoxdog View Post
I know i'm not the best player around, but i wouldn't say that i suck in it.

Proof :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4D8-...e=channel_page

I also play OD's stepfiles, but i enjoy playing QED's more. I respect both Otaku's Dream's and QED's work, so please don't misunderstand me.

you find OD files tiring

and QED your files dont flow with the music at all
Old 03-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #51
QED Stepfiles
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post

and QED your files dont flow with the music at all
Want to be a bit more specific? I obviously can't really see what you're talking about if you don't point at some specific things.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #52
ablefoxdog
FFR Player

To sum it all, you find QED's stepfiles bad because they have "steps to no sounds". But i say that those steps flow with the music. Like he said himself
he writes steps that complement and fits with the song.
I prefer steps that complete a song, than steps that follow it 300%, which end in a chaos mayhem, and having the real goal of this game, having fun playing a rythm based game, completely evaporate.

Conclusion : QED's files are pure fun, and he must be supported for his work, especially that he's doing it alone.

Quote:
you find OD files tiring
I don't find them tiring, just more challenging.
There may be some that are tiring, but they're really few.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #53
embarg0
FFR Player

QED makes exceptional stepfiles, it's what got me into stepmania. I used to play his version of "tomorrow" for hours. Sure, there are some QED's songs I don't particularly like, but that goes the same for OD. I'm here to support QED, I love his files and hope he keeps making more. Although QED's files aren't as difficult as they could be, I have more fun playing them than many other songs because it gets me into the music. Sure, I'm not bashing onto every single note that you can hear, but QED picks the right time to place a note to make the gameplay pleasurable rather than mind boggling.

Hey, I may not be the best stepmania player out there, but what does being the "Best" have to do with enjoying songs? Stepfiles are all based on opinion, there is not one "best" song out there, there are tons for different people. If you don't like his stepfiles, thats ok. But please, do not ransack on how terrible you think it is, please keep the trash talk to yourself. How would you feel if someone talked trash to you? Quite offended I suppose. If you do plan to talk about how stupid I am, or how retarded I sound, feel free. I'll sit here happily playing both my QED and OD files. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #54
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

nice first post who invited you here
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Old 03-30-2009, 01:04 AM   #55
who_cares973
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by QED Stepfiles View Post
Want to be a bit more specific? I obviously can't really see what you're talking about if you don't point at some specific things.

you said your files flowed with the music

they dont even if you took out the notes that go to nothing the charts dont flow well with the music at all

you should take some lessons from midare btw he'll show you how to properly place notes to sounds that dont exist
Old 03-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #56
QED Stepfiles
FFR Player

Okay, so perhaps it would help me also get my point across if I also focused on specifics. Kommisar made some ostensibly legitimate complaints about my Bamboo Beat file, and I’ll address them. To be honest, my Bamboo Beat file isn’t my favorite – it was a rush request job and I wasn’t that enamored with the song. But, I think it will just help me get my point across more if I defend a file that I don’t consider one of my best.

For this discussion I’ll often use the notation 1-2-3-4 with 1 meaning the downbeat.

So here goes:

COMPLAINT: right off the bat, you make the mistake of adding invisible 8th jumps when they should obviously be 4ths only.

RESOLUTION: They were added to accentuate the bell sounding in the beginning. Considering that the beginning of the song has this very distinct chime sound, and that this sound predominates over everything else, it’s an excellent place to add an “echo-step” to make the chime sound more forceful (as it should sound). Note that all the jumps were repeats – each second jump was added to highlight the first.

COMPLAINT: measure 3 the only thing you're following right is the percussion 16ths. the rest is missing tons of jump opportunities and everything else is basically being ignored.

RESOLUTION: Do you mean the percussion 8ths? There are no percussion 16ths here. In any case, I have to admit I was a bit lazy in this section. But the 16 triplets do help accentuate the chime, in that there’s a distinct dichotomy formed between the normal 8th jump on the 1-3 beats (where 1 refers to the downbeat) and the end of the triplet on the 2-4 beats. This actually fits very well with the song, in that the song here has a high-low-high-low chime melody going on, which almost begs for a way to differentiate between the 1-3 and the 2-4.

In essence, the stepping strategy here was to transition from the first section where the chimes were accentuated by still acknowledging that the chimes were in the background. I could have admittedly made this section more polished, but what’s there does function the way it’s supposed to. As for missing opportunities for steps, this song as a whole functions on a rise-climax type scheme (as opposed to just very energetic all the way through – see Keikenchi Joushouchuu, Minamike), so I do not want to overdo the beginning. I wanted to keep it simple here.

COMPLAINT: measure 7 I don't hear any 16th notes.

Yes, there are no audible 16th notes. But there definitely does exist a melodic progression from high pitch to low pitch. When I hear a smooth evenly spaced progression from a high pitch to a low pitch, I like to reflect that progression with some 16 stream, since such 16 stream is great for making that part of the song sound smoother. No, there are no sounds to follow those steps with, but it makes the player feel the transition from high to low more. And such accentuated smoothness fits well with the aforementioned melodic progression.

COMPLAINT: measure 10 there's nothing there. stop putting arrows.

RESOLUTION: But there could be something there. The problem here that I tried to fix is that the first section of the song ended mid-measure, on beat 4.5. I like to follow the melody in the first portion of the song, and I tried to do that here, but ending not on a whole-number beat inevitably builds up tension – the player just feels like something has to happen to end this phrase. In the song, this “something” comes in the form of the pause, but such a pause will not relieve this tension in someone who’s actually playing the file, since they’re waiting more for a note. So I provide that note, in the form of a short pause followed by an eighth note pattern.

The most simplest way I can say this is that I’m trying to transition the file smoothly back to being based on the downbeat rather than being based on a half-beat.

COMPLAINT: measure 11 it feels like you followed vocals, put a blindfold on and added 8th notes to fill in wherever.

RESOLUTION: Yes, I did follow vocals with jumps. Sometimes I will use the strategy of a constant 8-th note pattern with jumps added in for melodic emphasis. The thing is that I try to avoid gaps in 8 notes when I can, since the 8 notes to me are important to keeping rhythm throughout the song. This is a simple strategy for stepping that, while uninteresting, still works well in keeping with the music. And, the simplicity was deliberate here; as I mentioned before, the song has a distinct “rising action” type feeling, so the beginning of the song should not be stepped too heavily.

COMPLAINT: measure 14 I still don't hear 16ths notes. why are you using them.

RESOLUTION: 16 triplets are incredibly effective at bridging two different verses of a song, especially here where the percussion comes into the spotlight at the absence of vocals. Faster sequences fit with the percussion, and so the 16 triplets here help the player differentiate between what was before patterns focused on vocals and now the fact that the percussion is more important. Furthermore, the triplets help transition into the next verse, where I begin to add in more complex triplets to go along with the “rising tension” sort of aesthetic.

COMPLAINT: invisible 16ths the rest of the song. quit out

RESOLUTION: I could go and pick apart this file, but considering how long this post has already gotten I’ll save myself some time and skip the technical aspects. I think you get the point; the notes are there for a reason, even though if you start to nitpick at the song and look at every little piece individually they seem to be superfluous. It’s all about the big picture. My files are about synergy, not individual steps.

---

Sidenote: who_cares, that still wasn't very specific and/or helpful <.<
Old 03-30-2009, 01:21 AM   #57
who_cares973
FFR Player

k

putting notes that go to nothing doesnt make your charts flow at all

clear enough ?_?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:30 AM   #58
DayMan951
yfwdbwdsb
FFR Veteran

hey guys, if i wear a blindfold, press ctrl+R, and senselessly slap my dick across my keyboard to an anime song, it will flow to the music and be a good file right?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #59
who_cares973
FFR Player

question is would your penis reach the keyboard?

hey-o
Old 03-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #60
QED Stepfiles
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
k

putting notes that go to nothing doesnt make your charts flow at all

clear enough ?_?
That's not what I meant by specific - I meant giving me actually concrete examples taken from my files. If you read my lengthy post below, you'll see why I think my "invisible notes" help the file - so just telling me "bah it doesn't work" doesn't really get us anywhere new.
Closed Thread