Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #21
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: Looking into buying a new HDTV. Need Advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
I'm also about 90% sure that 120Hz sets can play 24fps (would it be 48fps 3D?) 3D content. I feel like they could simply play it same way as a 60Hz monitor would play 24fps, but doubled for each eye. I don't know why that wouldn't work but you might.
They might be able to. But 24fps content has a strange cadence when played back on a 60 Hz set.

it basically goes like this:

AABBCCCDDEEFFFGGHHIIIJJKKLLL

I think, anyway. So the glasses would have to be able to detect this unusual pattern and alternate the LCD shutters on the glasses appropriately in time.

Quote:
I'm absolutely 100% positive, however, that 120Hz became popular as a result of the 3D craze and not because purist film connoisseurs whined about pulldown.
120 Hz has existed for years, LOOOOOOOOOONG before 3DTV was actually a realistic possibility. It came about because of Blu-ray's native support for 24p playback.

You'd be surprised what film purists demand. For example, I got Back to the Future on Blu-ray recently and it looks ****ing amazing. But some people want to complain about visual anomalies that are only visible in stills and is completely invisible in normal playback. Some have even refused to buy it because of this... even though the alternative option of DVD is WAY worse.

Anyway, 60 Hz is already enough to display 30 fps content in 3D using alternating frames. Higher hertz rates could only serve two possible functions: different frame rate support as I said, or smoother video using frame interpolation.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
They might be able to. But 24fps content has a strange cadence when played back on a 60 Hz set.

it basically goes like this:

AABBCCCDDEEFFFGGHHIIIJJKKLLL

I think, anyway. So the glasses would have to be able to detect this unusual pattern and alternate the LCD shutters on the glasses appropriately in time.

120 Hz has existed for years, LOOOOOOOOOONG before 3DTV was actually a realistic possibility. It came about because of Blu-ray's native support for 24p playback.

You'd be surprised what film purists demand. For example, I got Back to the Future on Blu-ray recently and it looks ****ing amazing. But some people want to complain about visual anomalies that are only visible in stills and is completely invisible in normal playback. Some have even refused to buy it because of this... even though the alternative option of DVD is WAY worse.

Anyway, 60 Hz is already enough to display 30 fps content in 3D using alternating frames. Higher hertz rates could only serve two possible functions: different frame rate support as I said, or smoother video using frame interpolation.
Yeah nevermind I just went and did some research and my findings fit with what ya sayin about this. Although 60Hz is not nearly enough for 3D, 30fps will give you headaches in minutes.

SO I WAS WRONG

ARE YOU HAPPY AFROMBEAM
Old 10-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #23
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
SO I WAS WRONG

ARE YOU HAPPY AFROMBEAM
No. Why would I be glad when other people are wrong?

ps good video about hertz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ur9IF5OmU
Old 10-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy

afrobean you are so weird dude wtf
Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
afrobean you are so weird dude wtf
How is he weird? Weird in the fact that he doesn't gloat about being right? I think FFR needs more of this.
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #26
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
How is he weird? Weird in the fact that he doesn't gloat about being right? I think FFR needs more of this.
No...
Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #27
ninjaKIWI
plain old ugly ass dumbas
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to ninjaKIWI

3D is a stupid gimmick and looks terrible in my opinion, just like touch screens.
ninjaKIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:10 PM   #28
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaKIWI View Post
just like touch screens.
Touch screens are anything but a gimmick. They've opened up a whole new world when it comes to mobile technology and efficiency. Not to mention it's not like making a screen into a touchscreen reduces the screen's quality by any perceptible amount.

If you wanna stick with a mouse and trackball, by all means do so, the rest of us can enjoy this new technology. (Not that touchscreen technology is new, but its uses are)
Old 10-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #29
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
3D is a stupid gimmick and looks terrible in my opinion, just like touch screens.
Whenever I hear someone say "3D is a stupid gimmick", I can't help but imagine that some moviegoers in the 1930s must have been saying things like "color is a stupid gimmick."

Or moviegoers in the 1950s saying things like "widescreen is a stupid gimmick."

Sure, 3D can be a stupid gimmick, but so can almost anything which can be a legitimate tool in filmmaking. We just need quality cinematographers and directors to get on board with it and show us what can kind of artistic designs can be pulled from it. Throwing things out of the screen is terrible, but using and manipulating to add depth to a picture can be an amazing artistic value. There is nothing that can add depth the way a stereoscopic picture can.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #30
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Touch screens are anything but a gimmick. They've opened up a whole new world when it comes to mobile technology and efficiency. Not to mention it's not like making a screen into a touchscreen reduces the screen's quality by any perceptible amount.

If you wanna stick with a mouse and trackball, by all means do so, the rest of us can enjoy this new technology. (Not that touchscreen technology is new, but its uses are)
Touchscreens may be fine for mobile stuff like cell phones and the such, but I'm talking PC monitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
Sure, 3D can be a stupid gimmick, but so can almost anything which can be a legitimate tool in filmmaking. We just need quality cinematographers and directors to get on board with it and show us what can kind of artistic designs can be pulled from it. Throwing things out of the screen is terrible, but using and manipulating to add depth to a picture can be an amazing artistic value. There is nothing that can add depth the way a stereoscopic picture can.
Well, I don't know what to say. You're right, but I haven't enjoyed it at all so far.

Last edited by ninjaKIWI; 10-26-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Old 10-26-2010, 03:45 PM   #31
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Touchscreens may be fine for mobile stuff like cell phones and the such, but I'm talking PC monitors.
Not a Gimmick.

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

And yes it's worth the price. It explodes your productivity and work pace. This is for artists...now think about the medical field, nearly all of their computers are touch screen, or think about last night when you went to the drive through at Taco Bell, all of their inside computers are touchscreen. Efficiency is everything.

Simply because YOU have no use for it (yet) doesn't mean it's useless.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #32
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
No. Why would I be glad when other people are wrong?

ps good video about hertz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ur9IF5OmU
I'm joking, btw

ps touch screens are awful on everything except my DS. I hate iPhones, I hate androids without keyboards, and I hate my iPod touch

pps actually they're nice on restaurant comps, much easier than a keyboard to fill out orders

ppps and tablets

okay so they're nice on everything except phones
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #33
ninjaKIWI

Quote:
Not a Gimmick.

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

And yes it's worth the price. It explodes your productivity and work pace. This is for artists...now think about the medical field, nearly all of their computers are touch screen, or think about last night when you went to the drive through at Taco Bell, all of their inside computers are touchscreen. Efficiency is everything.

Simply because YOU have no use for it (yet) doesn't mean it's useless.
I guess you're right. I hate to fold so easily, but I guess I need to be more open minded.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #34
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

-ignores drama-

I suggest a Vizio TV. My dad has bought 3 so far, all with really great quality. 40"+ we have in the living room has lasted for 2+ years so far without any problems at all. I have my PS3 hooked up to it, and it looks amazing. Others are 30"+ in my bro's and parents' room and they both cost under $800, and are great for a bedroom imo.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #35
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyokou View Post
-ignores drama-

I suggest a Vizio TV. My dad has bought 3 so far, all with really great quality. 40"+ we have in the living room has lasted for 2+ years so far without any problems at all. I have my PS3 hooked up to it, and it looks amazing. Others are 30"+ in my bro's and parents' room and they both cost under $800, and are great for a bedroom imo.
For "under 800" you should have 40+ inches, ESPECIALLY from a "namebrand" like Vizio.

Anyway, 2 years is nothing for a TV to live. You can't really say a TV is good because it lasts 2 years. Vizio isn't that bad, but it's far from the best. They're generally less expensive, and sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #36
Nyokou
( ̄ー ̄)
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Nyokou

40"+ we have was more than $1000 2 years ago. Price HAS dropped by now most likely.

Dad didn't feel the need to buy anything that big for my bro's or his own room, so whatev. Before Vizio we didn't have any HD flat screens so that's all I can recommend lol. From what I've heard people get flat screens as big as the one in our living room and they don't last past a year and a half for some reason. Maybe overuse?

I can't really say which ones are the "best" but I'll definitely consider other brands once my bf and I go shopping for a new TV next year.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #37
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

I have to design TV mounting systems to be implemented into entertainment stands at the company I work for, so we get a crapload of different TV's shipped in and out of here on a regular basis, and we test out all of them.

From what I've seen, Samsung's TV's are generally much sharper and have great contrast, and are really fluid and smooth, especially their LED line-up, the next best is Sony. Vizio TV's that we've tested kinda have whacked out contrast issues, where the dark areas are TOO dark, and it's not just the settings. Vizio is just pretty average imo.

We don't get to test a whole lot of 3D TV's though, so I can't give much of an opinion on those.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #38
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

While, I'm at it, I bought a 650$ Vizio, 47". It has these horizontal dark stripes across the middle, two of them, at approx 4/10 and 6/10 of the way up the screen. It looks like the backlight is faulty, or sucks, or idfk. Is this pretty standard for vizio? Is there a fix or should I send it in? 1 Year warranty still active, have the receipt, etc.

It's usually only irritating when displaying a mostly solid screen but certain games just seem to exaggerate the effect. SM64, for one.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM   #39
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

my friend and his family collectively have like 14 vizio tvs and none of them have given them problems. so from personal experience its rare
Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #40
jump_the_bullet
Oh you fancy, huh?
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jump_the_bullet Send a message via MSN to jump_the_bullet Send a message via Skype™ to jump_the_bullet

thanks guys for the help. after reading everyone's posts and doing a little research i have more knowledge on the situation. we're probably gonna wait till black friday to get one.

anyone know if Zenith is a good brand for HDTV's?

jump_the_bullet is offline   Reply With Quote