Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
Squeek you should buy me No More Heroes for my birthday which was 2 months ago
It's not that good and I don't recommend buying it if you're the kind of person who rents games.

It's fun, but it's also tedious and frustrating.

Edit: Huge news from Nintendo Power about Tales of Symphonia 2, which has been renamed.

http://kotaku.com/353577/wii-tales-o...ent-to-america

Anyone get Nintendo Power? I'm interested to see what's in the article.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-7-2008 at 01:52 AM..
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2008, 04:27 PM   #2242
Buttoxin
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Snaking de-confirmed for Mario Kart Wii
I know earlier I said I'm glad snaking would be in it, but I rethought it, and I'm glad that it's not in there. Sure I won alot, but it really hurt my thumb. I would have to do it to win too because I always ended up facing somebody who did it too.

Hey Squeek, your new avatar creeps me out.

Also for everybody, are there any Wii games that are Wi-fi yet?
Old 02-7-2008, 05:24 PM   #2243
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Quote:
I'm a subscriber, but I don't have the latest issue right now. I won't have it until next week at the earliest so unless you hear more in the next week you'll have to sit tight until then. I'll scan pages next week if I get it.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-9-2008, 11:43 PM   #2244
travman301
#swagdog
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to travman301

I'm in love with TC:NB.

The voice-overs give the game a refreshing change. And the game feels more refined.

I like it just as much as Zack and Wiki at this point. <3's new games.
travman301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #2245
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
It's not that good and I don't recommend buying it if you're the kind of person who rents games.

It's fun, but it's also tedious and frustrating.

Edit: Huge news from Nintendo Power about Tales of Symphonia 2, which has been renamed.

http://kotaku.com/353577/wii-tales-o...ent-to-america

i rented it because i wanted to save money for brawl and advance wars days of ruins and it was actually a good idea.. don't take me wrong the game is hilarious and it's sure worth a buy if you wanna replay it. it's just me that got no money xD
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #2246
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Amazon is going to have a sale on five Wii games this Friday.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000199691

Nobody knows what the games will be or what the sales will be.

Just a heads-up.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-20-2008 at 09:01 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #2247
GamerShadow
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GamerShadow

Oh, I have the NP issue with the ToS 2 article in it, Squeek. If you know this already, then my bad. But if you don't, than here we go.

-Everybody who survived from the original ToS is playable, (other than Kratos, but he is the narrator of the opening scene.) but not for the whole game. They come and go on occasion.
-You can recruit monsters, and then set up commands for them to follow out during battle. (You can't control them.) You have to "align the elements" or something of the sort in order to increase your chances of recruiting them.
-The two main characters are Emil and Marta. It doesn't say too much about them other than that.
-There has been climatic shifts in the story, so places are out of whack. For example, the desert place by the fire dungeon now has snow on it, and other places that were filled with rivers are bone dry.

(NP226, 32-36)
Old 02-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #2248
nforcer06164
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nforcer06164 Send a message via Skype™ to nforcer06164

Squeek, I can scan those pages for you if you're still interested. Just say the word.

PROUD OWNER OF TWO OMEGA FAVORS. YEAH, NICE TRY.
Giant NES Controller (4 FEET) progress: PAINT IS DONE!
Download my Wii Music Suite v1.0, and PM me with your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
My mind says "GOGOGOG" and my hands go "wut no scru u ***"
nforcer06164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 PM   #2249
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Ah, no. It's cool.

I bet the Wikipedia page already had more information on the topic since before the magazine hit the store shelves.

Edit: Rofl. The first Amazon game was Super Paper Mario for $30. Then they did Fire Emblem for $30. Then Metroid Prime 3 for $30.

Average time on the site was less than one minute. I just watched Metroid Prime 3 get put up at 1:00. Ten seconds later, half of them were gone.

The next game is The Sims or SimLife or something. Probably. I have no idea what the last one will be. And some rumors are going around saying that they'll do another one at 9:00PST.

Last edited by Squeek; 02-22-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #2250
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

So, I'm starting to look into pre-ordering Brawl and I need some help finding a good site for it. If I pre-order on Amazon, I can get $30 back with the Amazon Visa card, meaning the game itself will cost $19.99.

~Tsugomaru
When their heart is pierced by a bullet from a pistol...? No.
When they succumb to an incurable disease...? No.
When they drink soup made with a poisonous mushroom...? NO!!!
IT'S WHEN A PERSON IS FORGOTTEN...!!!
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #2251
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I personally used that deal on Amazon when I bought Katamari Damacy 1 and 2, along with Super Paper Mario. Turned a $95 purchase into a $65 purchase.

It's not a bad idea if you shop amazon often, either.

But for Brawl, I got it on Family Video when it was $44. I used a coupon to get $3 off (used the $5 coupon on Guitar Hero 3) and shipping is always a dollar on that site, so I'm paying $42 for it. Sweet deal.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #2252
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

http://kotaku.com/368463/no-snaking-for-mario-kart-wii

Snaking officially not in Mario Kart Wii.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #2253
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean

Quote:
http://kotaku.com/368463/no-snaking-for-mario-kart-wii

Snaking officially not in Mario Kart Wii.
Can you explain perhaps what this "snaking" is?

EDIT: Wow. Read some comments on that page. And one... Why is it that people think that things that make absolutely no sense are a good thing for the game if they require a special skill? How about while racing, everyone needs to constantly answer trivia questions to get speed boosts. That requires skill. Oh, make them sing karaoke to get speed boosts. That makes perfect sense... I always go faster when I sing loudly. And while we're at it, let's make it so when you swerve around, you get a speed boost. I love doing that on the freeway! I mean, it's not like the wheels being turned causes any kind of speed resistance... I do my turns at 30~40 miles per hour without slowing down at all; I don't understand why everyone else brakes down to ~10~15 while turns when they clearly should be swerving through their turns to go faster.

And while we're at it, let's all do small jumps, then slide across the ground. I always do that, especially when the ground is made of a material which would be impossible to slide on considering the physics applied by a world of Reason.

Last edited by Afrobean; 03-17-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Afrobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #2254
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds

Also, aren't you a video game character that launches shells out of the front of your car and can catch magical stars to speed up?

Oh, right. You're not. It's something that makes sense in the game world, where real logic isn't really meant to be applied. Especially when it comes to cart racing. It's not a cart racing sim. It's not a vehicular combat sim, or a singing sim. It's just arcade racing. When you drive over zip patches in the ground, do you speed up in real life? Probably not, because they don't exist, yet you don't seem to have a problem with them being in the game.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #2255
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
Also, aren't you a video game character that launches shells out of the front of your car and can catch magical stars to speed up?

Oh, right. You're not. It's something that makes sense in the game world, where real logic isn't really meant to be applied. Especially when it comes to cart racing. It's not a cart racing sim. It's not a vehicular combat sim, or a singing sim. It's just arcade racing. When you drive over zip patches in the ground, do you speed up in real life? Probably not, because they don't exist, yet you don't seem to have a problem with them being in the game.
Fantasy logic does not apply here. Fantasy logic can explain how they can shoot shells. It does not explain why you could gain speed by swerving along a straight line.

If you're going to go down that line of thinking, why not just make other ridiculous stuff that makes no sense. Press Z or R twice to Barrel Roll! Hold down the B button and you can drive backwards faster than forwards! Hop then dodge into the ground and slide around like you're on ice!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #2256
x6tence
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to x6tence Send a message via Yahoo to x6tence

man I still can't find wii's around here. there is like a wii shortage
x6tence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #2257
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Hokay, but they didn't choose to implement any of that stuff. The sliding boost was in Super Mario Kart for the SNES. They did choose to implement it, therefore, fantasy logic does come into play.

If they had programmed rolls to R twice, then that's the way it would be. It would be puzzling, but it would be part of the game.

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:30 PM   #2258
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds View Post
Hokay, but they didn't choose to implement any of that stuff. The sliding boost was in Super Mario Kart for the SNES. They did choose to implement it, therefore, fantasy logic does come into play.

If they had programmed rolls to R twice, then that's the way it would be. It would be puzzling, but it would be part of the game.
When functions of games are used in unexpected ways, it's reasonable to expect them to be changed/elaborated/removed in later versions. They're NOT removing this boost, they're just making it impossible to waggle back and forth to go faster. They're also rewarding longer lasting slides with bigger speed boosts. See, those things make sense in the fantastical sense. Short slide gives small speed boost, long slide gives big speed boost.

And, for example, the case of wave dashing in Melee. People used directional air dodging combined with short hops to abuse an oversight in the physics engine. This does not mean that future versions of the series would not correct the player's ability to take advantage of this intended feature in an unexpected way. Notice that in Brawl, they have removed directional air dodging, but neutral air dodging and short hops are still in. I am quite sure that if directional air dodging was still possible, wave dashing would as well, as we have already seen players mimicking the same sort of sliding motion by doing other actions (throwing an item while in the middle of rolling has a similar sliding effect I believe), so it is quite obvious in my opinion that they knowingly removed directional air dodging just for that. It's a shame that they couldn't just fix it to not slide like that, because I had recently become a big fan of directional air dodging, but I can totally see why they did it. Unexpected use of an intended feature made for the exploitation of the physics engine which apparently could not be overcome by simply increasing the "friction" when a player air dodges into the ground.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #2259
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Mal, there's more to this than just 'fantasy worlds should be able to do what they want'.

1) The purpose of the power slide boost was to pop you out of a power slide going the direction you want. The purpose was not to repeatedly go back and forth in order to pull ahead of your opponents. You know how I know? The AI power slides. The AI does not snake. If snaking was an intentional part of the game, you'd think they'd code it into the AI to give them a chance against you. But they didn't. It's not even in the instruction manual!

2) Anyone who's played Mario Kart DS online will tell you what it's like competing against snakers. Basically they get so far ahead of you that you can't even reach them with any items, including blue shells. If the course is pretty small, they will lap you. The point of the game is a go-kart race that uses items and character differences to separate drivers.

3) Anyone who snakes removes the purpose of items and the difference in character speed / acceleration. Power slide boosts keep you at a constant speed which is not based on the top speed of the character you use. Mario Kart uses a 6-star system. 1/5 means you have a low top speed and a high acceleration. 5/1 means you have a high top speed and a low acceleration. 3/3 means you're average. Snaking with a 1/5 character puts you at 5/5. 10 > 6. Thus, this is a break in the system.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #2260
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I'm almost positive it was in the instruction manual for Mario Kart for the SNES, which is how I learned about it.

My new novel:

Now in Paperback!