Old 11-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #2061
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: The Wii is Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethSquall View Post
Hahahahah dude, I know you don't give up at every challenge and yea you might just not like the level. But there is a way to do it, it's not hard to work out either, the learning curve was like 5 minutes.
Yeah, I just overlooked the bob-omb that was apparently there all along because I saw the star thing and figured that since it was there that doing that was what I needed to do to advance. Up to that point, that's how it had been: if there was a path, that was the path I needed to take. You know, they act like the stages are free form like SM64, but they're really not. You can't get other stars unless you CHOOSE to get those stars. You can't start the first stage and get the final star of that stage first. You have to go through the list.

Quote:
You're meant to chain them, also, you have to aim to have the bomb land on the yellow dots on the floor, do it that way and you have like 10 seconds to spare. Shaking isn't hard, yea neither is pressing a button I agree but it's not bothersome. Also, shaking the controller has never thrown my aim off. I aim then shake. To me it is as simple as it sounds. I don't see how shaking the remote influences your other arm? You may not like that either and that's cool but I wouldn't say that it's something that spoils or gets in the way of the game.
Yeah well no one told me that (it would have been nice if the guy that tells you to do it would have gave this little hint...) and I kept ****ing up and getting more and more pissed off over it that I didn't even notice that I could do that. And dude, those yellow spots are not things to aim the bombs at (even if it is helpful to do so); they're those spots that if you shoot a star at them, they turn into coins for health.

And shaking influences my aim because it pisses me off and thus I am more likely to mess up and get more pissed off. As I get more and more mad, my movements and button presses become sloppy and erratic.

Quote:
You don't have to kill yourself dude, but saying that, every time I've pressed plus I've had the option to go back to the observatory.
yeah well what would you do if you wanted to keep playing the game, wanted to quit the current stage, and your + and - buttons were simply not doing anything.

Quote:
Hahahaha. Dude wow. This may be why some buttons don't seem to work for you?
Nope... I've beat up my other controllers a little bit, but this was the first time I've ever done anything like this with Wii. Simply put, none of my other games have had this knack for giving me enjoyment, then turning around and seemingly ripping my all of the flesh off my body with a searing hot butter knife.

Quote:
I loved some of the mini game galaxy's. Surfing was fun and the sweet factory was an awesome platformer lever and you got to love that music.
Those games are the only place that the accelerometers should have been used. They were decent distractions and clearly detached from the gameplay of the rest of the game. Now, to be honest, I wasn't that great at them, except the candy one 8)

Quote:
Well we have to. We know there's no other way. And we do it for a reason. If we didn't we would spin? Does that even makes sense? Made sense in my head anyway.
You don't HAVE to. You can abstain from play like I am. It is good.

Quote:
You really can't get over the shake can you? Dude, it takes like half hour tops to get used to.
yeah well I got used to it within like 20 seconds, but it still sucks.

Quote:
Because the game works fine without it. I would like to have seen the B button attack but it's not there. Whatever.
WORKS FINE WITHOUT IT? ****ing wrist flicks are not as responsive and precise as button presses. The only reason they would do it like that is simply BECAUSE THEY CAN.

And really, I am all for motion control when it makes sense. It's probably a good thing I never got far in Twilight Princess (I barely got the first sword before giving it up), because I'd probably be so annoyed at it that I'd go out and buy the gamecube version just so I don't have to deal with it. In fact, you know what. They should make a Gamecube version of Galaxy

ps who is this Relambrien and why is he so reasonable
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #2062
zidart
FFR Player

emm ok this just proves that you have angry issues and that you look at a game just for the outside and not for the inside.....

now to move on, have any of you played resident evil umbrella chronicles yet? i heard is really awesome
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #2063
Aleste
stating the obvious.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Aleste Send a message via MSN to Aleste

i work at gamestop and i know each of the games you listed.. but i was hoping there might be something else that is perhaps worth picking up. i'm interested in Umbrella Chronicles and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. Anyone pick either of those up yet? i see zidart already asked about the RE game :] Also, for GH3 have they been able to work out if they'll be doing song updates or anything on the wii? i know it was planned and in an interview on gamestop they had said they were trying to work with nintendo to do something similar to the planned updates for 360 and ps3... but i haven't heard anything else about it. Anyone know?

EDIT: a nintendo rep came into my store the other day and showed us the Wii Zapper. i definitely want to get it, even more so than previously. i mean, for 25 bucks it's not bad for a peripheral AND a game. It actually feels really sturdy and the rep said that when he played with it it actually helped to steady his aim so it might be nice to play through umbrella chronicles with it. i realized that he's the NINTENDO REP so of course he'd want to hype the products, but holding it myself i'd tend to believe him :]

Last edited by Aleste; 11-19-2007 at 06:11 PM..
Aleste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #2064
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
they're those spots that if you shoot a star at them, they turn into coins for health.
Yes I know that afrobean, however they're placed there in that way for a reason dude.

Quote:
And shaking influences my aim because it pisses me off and thus I am more likely to mess up and get more pissed off. As I get more and more mad, my movements and button presses become sloppy and erratic.
You don't have to shake it that violently dude. Serious, whether you're mad at the fact you can't do it or what

Quote:
yeah well what would you do if you wanted to keep playing the game, wanted to quit the current stage, and your + and - buttons were simply not doing anything.
Id say that's not the game.

Quote:
Nope... I've beat up my other controllers a little bit, but this was the first time I've ever done anything like this with Wii. Simply put, none of my other games have had this knack for giving me enjoyment, then turning around and seemingly ripping my all of the flesh off my body with a searing hot butter knife.
This game had the younger audience in mind. I think your over reacting just a little.

Quote:
You don't HAVE to. You can abstain from play like I am. It is good.
Oh right, lmao. Whatever. I think that's a pretty stupid response to be fair. Although, if it stops you throwing a hissy fit then whatever.

Quote:
yeah well I got used to it within like 20 seconds, but it still sucks.
Well obviously you haven't if it throws your aiming off. Took me no time at all to do a shake attack and understand the concept. It took me a little while to get the hang of it and use it well, that's what I mean. You're obviously not there yet.

Quote:
WORKS FINE WITHOUT IT? ****ing wrist flicks are not as responsive and precise as button presses. The only reason they would do it like that is simply BECAUSE THEY CAN.
They can and because it works dude. I found it responsive.It's not a chase of "Because they can so they do it for the hell of it". They do it yes because they can and because works. Works Well.

Quote:
And really, I am all for motion control when it makes sense. It's probably a good thing I never got far in Twilight Princess (I barely got the first sword before giving it up), because I'd probably be so annoyed at it that I'd go out and buy the gamecube version just so I don't have to deal with it. In fact, you know what. They should make a Gamecube version of Galaxy
You give up way too easily. Seriously.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #2065
banditcom
FFR Player

Send a message via ICQ to banditcom Send a message via AIM to banditcom Send a message via Yahoo to banditcom Send a message via Skype™ to banditcom

Idiots at DeepDiscount decided to not cancel my order of SMG and send it anyways. So now I'll have two. >_> Oh well.... I'll tell my bro to give me $20 and then I'll give to him for Christmas as I'm only spending $25 on each of them.
banditcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #2066
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditcom View Post
Idiots at DeepDiscount decided to not cancel my order of SMG and send it anyways. So now I'll have two. >_> Oh well.... I'll tell my bro to give me $20 and then I'll give to him for Christmas as I'm only spending $25 on each of them.
Happened to me too.

I'm going to sell the other to my friend for $45. That's 10% off the retail price.

Fortunately, I got my orders for Z&W and Trauma Center 2 canceled. Z&W wasn't much of a deal anyway and I got $5 off Trauma Center 2 at FamilyVideo (AKA $41).
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #2067
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Quote:
ps who is this Relambrien and why is he so reasonable
I just have a knack for empathizing with people, so I've traditionally taken the place of mediator or argument clarifier in disagreements. When serving as one of the participants in the debate or argument, I'm the one who tries to avoid using emotions and instead opts for logic to explain the points behind my position. In this case, I clarified what you were trying to say by explaining it as emotionally-neutrally as possible, using my points which I figured were similar to yours.
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #2068
zidart
FFR Player

it's not even out yet and a soccer mom already complained about the wii zapper being a motivation for kids to use guns.......and i say... please that's just stupid the wii zapper doesn't even look or feel like a real gun, is designerd just to make you aim better and feel smooth.... besides this is nothing new, this kind of lightguns are as old as the NES or even older.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 PM   #2069
Kenzya
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Kenzya

Me and my friend used to run around pretending to shoot eachother with the NES Zapper guns. They were the most gun shaped thing in the house. Plus, they made that CLANG sound when you pulled the trigger.
Kenzya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #2070
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

You know they had to stop making the NES guns the color they were originally? This is why sometimes you may see a grey one and other times you'll see orange ones. The one I have is orange

ps no i do believe I had a decent handle on spin attacking, but there would be times where I would shake it and it would do nothing and the guy would run into me. I believe Squeek said the same thing himself, so it's not just me, and it's not that we aren't competent. It's that shaking a controller is never as precise as pressing a button. I don't care if you can do it just as precisely, because that's just you... pressing a button is a digital action while shaking is analog-- if you try to press a button you will always either press it or not press it, but if you shake it, you might not shake it in just the right way or your shake might not activate the attack until later in the shake than you would expect due to having no clearly defined point of initiation.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #2071
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
You know they had to stop making the NES guns the color they were originally? This is why sometimes you may see a grey one and other times you'll see orange ones. The one I have is orange

ps no i do believe I had a decent handle on spin attacking, but there would be times where I would shake it and it would do nothing and the guy would run into me. I believe Squeek said the same thing himself, so it's not just me, and it's not that we aren't competent. It's that shaking a controller is never as precise as pressing a button. I don't care if you can do it just as precisely, because that's just you... pressing a button is a digital action while shaking is analog-- if you try to press a button you will always either press it or not press it, but if you shake it, you might not shake it in just the right way or your shake might not activate the attack until later in the shake than you would expect due to having no clearly defined point of initiation.
it's just a litttle shake nothing big, even on twilight princess i didn't even need to move it 3cm to make it work and it always worked when i wanted to. maybe is your controler who knows i heard of a guy that can't make consecutive combos on zelda because the controler didn't work after he did the first attack. i like shaking this time more than pressing buttons because it feels good to do it, is not rocket sciense and it always spin when i shake. (so it's really just you and squeek)

and the wii zapper is white.....and seriously it doesn't even look or feel like a gun, it only is for more accurate shots in games like resident evil umbrella chronicles (wich i recomend everyone to check it out)

Last edited by zidart; 11-20-2007 at 10:31 AM..
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #2072
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic

So it was Employee Appreciation Day where I work, and we were allowed 20% off on three items. I bought Assassin's Creed, then I also, at last, got a Wii, with Super Mario Galaxy to start on it.

Except the Wiis were out of stock and bloody everyone wants a Wii so the shipment we just got in was entirely reserved for employees, and I didn't sign for one early enough to get one of the first shipment. ;_;

so uh mario galaxy has a pretty sweet box

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 PM   #2073
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:

I got used to it.

And regarding the bomb planet, shaking the remote doesn't change Mario's direction, so you should still be able to throw a bomb where you want it. In fact, I didn't chain my bombs together. That was just a suggestion to you. I threw my bombs in the middle of a circle of trash so they'd hit a lot at once.

Just play the game more and it'll make more sense.

If you need help, get a friend to be your co-star. I started co-starring for a friend of mine then quit because it made the game way too easy for him. The co-star can do so much more than just collect star bits. You can make Mario jump, you can time a super jump, you can make him spin, and best of all, you can freeze enemies. Yeah, you can totally hold down (almost) anything that can hurt Mario. Projectiles, enemies, fire, whatever. You remember that planet that was in shambles and had those big rocks rolling down to you? I held one in place and let another one ram into it. Destroyed them both. The octopus boss? I held the coconuts in place so he had an easier time. You can even hold 1-ups still if they're roaming around. It's ridiculous.

And =( at tokzic. I'm sure you'll get one some day. At least you have more incentive now.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #2074
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

That's harsh Tokzic man. Feel for you there. I should just say it's worth the wait though mate <3

So I bumped into my first "Dare Devil" mischief comet thingy, I had to do the bauldergeist boss with one bar of health. Was fun.

Last edited by SethSquall; 11-20-2007 at 12:47 PM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #2075
zidart
FFR Player

i'm kinda pissed because gamespot gave fire emblem radiant dawn a 6.5 because it's too hard for them XD, a friend told me that normal mode in this one is = to hard mode on path of radiance.....and although they gave this game a bas score, those weak points are what are driving me to want this game even more than before XD, (in other words i like challenging games XD)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #2076
SSCUJO
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to SSCUJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
i work at gamestop and i know each of the games you listed.. but i was hoping there might be something else that is perhaps worth picking up. i'm interested in Umbrella Chronicles and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. Anyone pick either of those up yet? i see zidart already asked about the RE game :] Also, for GH3 have they been able to work out if they'll be doing song updates or anything on the wii? i know it was planned and in an interview on gamestop they had said they were trying to work with nintendo to do something similar to the planned updates for 360 and ps3... but i haven't heard anything else about it. Anyone know?

EDIT: a nintendo rep came into my store the other day and showed us the Wii Zapper. i definitely want to get it, even more so than previously. i mean, for 25 bucks it's not bad for a peripheral AND a game. It actually feels really sturdy and the rep said that when he played with it it actually helped to steady his aim so it might be nice to play through umbrella chronicles with it. i realized that he's the NINTENDO REP so of course he'd want to hype the products, but holding it myself i'd tend to believe him :]
Just picked up my wii zapper and umbrella cronicles yesterday! and WOW. both amazing. at first i tohught the wii zapper looked wierd, but it just feels right. the weight distribution is great and overall it feels very natural.

Links Crossbow trainging, wasn't amazing but is fun for a few hours and has alot of levels and medals to get, also can be played multiplayer (not online) which looks like fun, its mostly just shoot bad guys or shoot targets, there are a few levels were you get to run around and shoot stuff, which is good.

RE: UC amazing! its very hard though, im playing on easy and it can get frustrating. the game is smooth, has a TON of secrets and explodable objects with hidden facts and information about the series, the weapons are upgradeable and it has something like 20 hours of gameplay, which is insane for a shooter, not to mention the multiplayer which also looks like a load of fun. overall both in my opinion are a MUST get.

the only downfall with the wii zappers configuarion and the way the game is played in RE:UC is you can't dual weild the zappers, you need two hands to change weapons and pick up items. oh well.
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #2077
zidart
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCUJO View Post
Just picked up my wii zapper and umbrella cronicles yesterday! and WOW. both amazing. at first i tohught the wii zapper looked wierd, but it just feels right. the weight distribution is great and overall it feels very natural.

Links Crossbow trainging, wasn't amazing but is fun for a few hours and has alot of levels and medals to get, also can be played multiplayer (not online) which looks like fun, its mostly just shoot bad guys or shoot targets, there are a few levels were you get to run around and shoot stuff, which is good.

RE: UC amazing! its very hard though, im playing on easy and it can get frustrating. the game is smooth, has a TON of secrets and explodable objects with hidden facts and information about the series, the weapons are upgradeable and it has something like 20 hours of gameplay, which is insane for a shooter, not to mention the multiplayer which also looks like a load of fun. overall both in my opinion are a MUST get.

the only downfall with the wii zappers configuarion and the way the game is played in RE:UC is you can't dual weild the zappers, you need two hands to change weapons and pick up items. oh well.
well that was what i needed XD too bad i won't be able to buy the zapper or RE UC until next year T_T
Old 11-21-2007, 09:42 AM   #2078
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Why didn't the Zapper come with a Duck Hunt/Clay Pidgeon/Hogan's Alley/Wild Gunman game. I saw a video of the gameplay for the Link thing and it didn't seem like anything special, and yet something with all of these games would have been amazing for nostalgia, and if they do it right, it could even be a fun play for those who never touched the games back then.

In fact, I don't even own any FPS for Wii, but I would probably buy the Zapper peripheral if it came with a nostalgia trip game.

Don't some FPS take advantage of weird accelerometer controls though? I mean like you'd have to move the nunchuk in some way while not needing to move the remote at all? I mean, yeah I guess you could probably just move the whole unit put together, but like if you open doors or something with a flick of the nunchuk, it might be kind of awkward to make the same motion with the nunchuk fixed to the remote. I dunno... maybe I'm just overthinking it and it does feel natural even in instances such as that.

ps I just read the entirety of SSCUJO's post (had only read about half of it when I began typing the post), and I must say that it is pretty damn funny that a game which seems as though it would be better than most for the Zapper has weird controls that the Zapper hinders. Hopefully developers will take notice and use controls like that sparingly in FPS now.

pps hahaha wikipedia article: "Initial third-party titles announced to support the Zapper are Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Ghost Squad and Medal of Honor: Heroes 2." How can a game SUPPORT something that isn't really hardware? It's more of a modification than actual new hardware. Unless they mean controls were made specifically to assume that the nunchuk and remote would be moving in tandem, but then what is this business about changing weapons?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:03 AM   #2079
SSCUJO
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to SSCUJO

well to respond to Afrobean with the information i know. a Game like metroid prime does require you to move the nunchuck by itself. however, this game is not "compatiable" with the wii zapper. games which are compatible you will now see a picture on the back of the box where it shows the controllers required. from what i understand compatiable simply means the controls are tailor made for the wii zappers configuration, metroid for example would not be one of those game.

as for the control scheme what i ment was to pick up weapons you need to use the "Z" butten and to change weapons you need to use the "C" both require your second hand to be on the back of the controller, which mind you is very comfortable, just doesn't allow you to play with one hand (so no dual weilding)

however Ghost squad only uses the wiimote, so dual wielding will be possible and by the looks of it, quite fun.
SSCUJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #2080
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

In the case of Metroid Prime, can you just throw the "butt" of the zapper around like you would move just the nunchuk?