Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
zebdal the legend
FFR Player

Default Conflict of BPM choice?

Above all, I do not wish to quarrel with whoever it is.
And I have a bad english, so there is a lot of google trad.
No trolling please.

You all know what it is like the BPM: the beatings per minut.
It is the measurement system which was created there are centuries (used by the pianists).
We used a metronome to play musics the piano to certain BPM, it was then enough to adjust the metronome to certain BPM, and that was great.
DDR uses this system of BPM to make arrows' speed more or less quickly.
We shall note in the passage that except for some cases of stylistic effects, the BPM put on a stepchart is the original one of the music.
The game was made such as it looks like a music partition, IE: color codes, the measures, the long and short notes, etc....

Now on stepmania, a new concept was invented (by the players), that to put the BPM near 150-300 whatever is the BPM of origin of the music.
Indeed, people noticed that by doubling by 2 or by dividing by 2 the bpm of origin of the music, we could obtain synced arrows with the song.
For example, if we divide by 2 the BPM then arrows distances will be really low, if we multiply it by 2, the opposite.
People thus divide wildly the BPM of origin of a just simfile to see red and blue arrows, because it is more attractive.
what is the problem?
We are saying that a speedcore song with 800bpm is equal to a 200bpm song, while a music in 200 bpm, we can only consider it as a hardcore or techno song.
By dividing by 2 the BPM, we modify the partition (stepchart ) so that it is syncro with the new BPM, but in itself, the partition is not the one of origin, thus it is false.
Those who say " in the pentagon, the argument "chaos" would be more representative " are wrong.
Why?
We force to put blue arrows there where the music has only red arrows.
Then, there are people who use this rule to return everything in 200BPM but who nevertheless, in certain cases use another rule, that to put the BPM to that indicated on the title. Indeed, they are going to put 960 BPM speedcore in 960 BPM, only because it's written 960 in the title there.
If it was written the other thing, for example " ****ing hard speedcore ", they would have put the BPM to 240 or 120.
Thus what means that even if they know the BPM of origin of the music, as long as they do not know the title of the music, the simfile has 2 possible BPM (see the schrodinger's cat on wikipedia).
I find that it is totally absurd to define a BPM so because, a speedcore music was created to be really fast, and we decrease it in a simfile of 200BPM only so that is more kawaii.
Let us call back that 90 % of the players play in CMOD and that the fact that the sim goes in 200BPM or to 800 BPM has no importance, it is thus stupid to change the BPM of origin of a simfile so that it is more playable.

Then there is an argument that it is easier to step if the simfile is near 200BPM.
It is false, there is absolutely no difference, even it is sometimes easier, for the reason than we do not piss off with yellow and orange arrows or we are obliged to stretch as a patient the measure to see something there.
And also, a music in 400BPM having 64th, if we make it pass in 200BPM, it would be necessary to change 64th into 128th, now 128th does not exist on stepmania.

Now, let us speak about xmod rows
on xmod, we do not absolutely respect the original BPM of the music because we make it vary wildly, we give it even negative BPM o_O.
But is this a problem? NO
Why?
Xmod rows were created to have a particular stylistic effect, and, even if we do not respect the BPM of the music we create an atmosphere which it respects completely the music.
On the other hand, on a xmod, there is always a recurring BPM, that where arrows go to a constant speed.
And it is thus the one this that it is necessary to put in the good speed.
If we look goblinz who is at 150 BPM, this is the original BPM of the song.
But if the same simfile had 300BPM, people will put a lower BPM.
And that wil be the same problem.

I am aware that those who make this, it is to allow to play better.
But they do not understand that by leaving the original BPM, we don't low the quality of a simfile.
No, we reveal all its real nature. If it is fast, we make a fast simfile, if it is very slow, we make a very slow simfile.
In what it raise problem to put the original BPM of the music? Why just don't you leave it?
Stepmaniards are in some years scoffing at centuries of reflection on the speed measure of the musics, only to see blue arrows. Waah, blu arow zar biutifful.
We even came there to quarrel on quite a lot of forums and the others with people who say " this sim is 400 BPM " " not, this is 200 ".
I even found a website which referenced the original BPM of the musics.
I fell on a lad who had enjoyed putting 400BPM on the musics of dragonforce while the original BPM is 200 BPM.
Do you imagine guitarists who play at 400 BPM? That would be gods.
Even the fastest to the world does not exceed 350 BPM.
Thus it is completely insane to say that guitarists play 400 BPM.
We are changing completely things which would never have to be changed.
If we had not let people change the BPM of the songs, we would not have arrived there there.
The rhythm games (except stepmania) respect the original BPM of the songs.
Then why not you?

You were able to realize whom I was against the fact to put a false BPM.

You too can expose your opinion on this subject.
I think that it is important that a topic like this is opened to clarify some things.
On the other hand, I am waiting for real arguments.

Last edited by zebdal the legend; 03-27-2009 at 05:35 AM..
zebdal the legend is offline   Reply With Quote