Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Life and Arts > Art and Graphics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Mythix
Default My 3D World - Or just the carS - Updated with z4!

Hello everyone.

As almost none of you know, I go to a 3D Modelling university, using 3D Studio Max (same as they use for all big movies now a days. Did you know Benjamin Button was animated? Now you know.)

Unfortunately my original render picture is extremely high textured, so the shadow and reflection looks very linear here with Imageshack.

Here is my Bugatti Veyron, it's JPEG, as I said, my .tif is waaay too big. It's black, I do have it in a billion different duo and tricolor schemes just for fun but this one was my favorite. Also, the windows I have just made blue because there is no interior, so it looks stupid when I convert it to actuall glass. The same goes for the front lights (that I have changed but it takes around 2 hours to render a picture and I'm not patient enough for that).
This car is the first I do without any tutorial or help (AT ALL) so I hope I can atleast make some of you go "Meh it's almost above decent".

Here: EDIT: CHANGED TO NEW RENDERS

THIS IS THE NEW CAR: Z4

Next WITH pearlscent/flall off:

HIGH gloss super reflecting thing that takes 7 hours to rend and you can't really see the difference:

Also, for the person who asked me if I could make the robot 'Eva' from "Wall-E" for you (as seen in 'leonids' avatar), just in another color, could you post here again?

Nice. I might make some for anyone though xD

Here are the wireframes as requested:

Last edited by Mythix; 09-28-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Mythix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Oni-Paranoia
No fucks
FFR Veteran

Default Re: My 3D World - Or just the car.

The fact that you can do that without help amazes me. The shadow seems a bit weird though but amazing job on this.

P.s. Make Eva red with high resolution?
Oni-Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni-Paranoia View Post
The fact that you can do that without help amazes me. The shadow seems a bit weird though but amazing job on this.

P.s. Make Eva red with high resolution?
Was it you? xD I don't remember who said it in one of the threads

Oh the shadow is 'Soft shadow' and I have a studio set up (if you saw the ''whole'' picture you would see 5 walls made of metal/mirror with lightsources,hence the spread random shadows). I made it like that just to see if I could copy the picture I used to start with (which was from a studio in somewhere) and it came out O.K. I'm still a total noob though xD

Sure I'll start on Eva in red today or tomorrow, I'm just reliefed to get this render out of my way.. After 15 hours of modelling I'll take a day off then I'll make Eva for you, shouldn't take more than an hour xD
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

updated, also I dunno why the colors effed up, I blaim the smoother
Old 09-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Brycexx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brycexx

looks pretty awesome for no tutorials. only part i dont like is the coloring on the hood. do yall mess with maya at all cause I know they use that alot for films or are you just in the game modeling area.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brycexx View Post
looks pretty awesome for no tutorials. only part i dont like is the coloring on the hood. do yall mess with maya at all cause I know they use that alot for films or are you just in the game modeling area.
Maya sucks, don't use it.

use 3D Studio max, and if you need moderations, use Zbrush or mudbox.

3D Studio max (design or normal) is the best MODELLING program EVER, period, nothing can remotely compare with it.

Zbrush/mudbox are excellent programs for texturing and details, nothing can really add small details better than those.

3D Maya is trying to do both at once and it's O-K, I guess you can use Maya to create backgrounds or terrain, but that's pretty much all you should use Maya for for top result...

I'm not completely honest though but that's the best way to do stuff... Just keep in mind moviemakers have their own render and physics that they use years to develop and that's why they pick whatever program they used to do a certain thing, but for us normal people, 3D S Max is the best bet xD

EDIT: Made a mental ray for my polygons, LOL!

Also, brycex, the hood isn't colored; It's just black car paint. The 'off' thing is my reflection on it, it's supposed to blend better but it won't, I'm not completely sure why but I'll try better.

Last edited by Mythix; 09-25-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Mythix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Got a wireframe view I can see?

The model looks pretty good, the rendering is meh. Nice job nonetheless though.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
Got a wireframe view I can see?

The model looks pretty good, the rendering is meh. Nice job nonetheless though.
I know, I messed up the mental ray. I'm close to downloading a preset raytrace but then it wouldn't be mine anymore.

Wireframe coming up. Want maximized or all 4 views in wireframe?
EDIT: With or without turbosmooth?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Just any perspective view, rendered anyway as long as I can see the lines.

EDIT ok, nice model from the looks of it, it's just the way you're presenting it that doesn't exactly do it justice. I'm not that familiar with the program you're using, but it looks like the phong angles (if 3DS even uses that term, which is just the way the the light is reflected and distributed through the model) are a bit screwy, but I'm thinking it may just be the texture. Try and place it in an environment, and give the texture some reflection because as it stands it's simply a flat colour with a bit of specular that doesn't do it justice.

So make it reflective, give it an environment to reflect it off. Give that a try

Last edited by Spenner; 09-25-2009 at 03:07 PM..
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
Just any perspective view, rendered anyway as long as I can see the lines.

EDIT ok, nice model from the looks of it, it's just the way you're presenting it that doesn't exactly do it justice. I'm not that familiar with the program you're using, but it looks like the phong angles (if 3DS even uses that term, which is just the way the the light is reflected and distributed through the model) are a bit screwy, but I'm thinking it may just be the texture. Try and place it in an environment, and give the texture some reflection because as it stands it's simply a flat colour with a bit of specular that doesn't do it justice.

So make it reflective, give it an environment to reflect it off. Give that a try
Yes 3D studio max uses phong, however we use the term for material reflection setup. I have both phong and metal reflection..

Basicly, I have this:

High specular
Mediocre gloss
Reflection on 100% (That's regular for chrome metal) on all surfaces but the ground

I do have white boxes "studio style" .

I am not sure exactly why my metal is failing, I've even changed the fall off on it to a billion so it's supposed to be SUPER flashy but I guess something hasn't been selected correctly...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
chidori!
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to chidori! Send a message via Yahoo to chidori!

I use Cinema4D for 3d stuff
chidori! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidori! View Post
I use Cinema4D for 3d stuff
Has been mentioned xD I might use C4D for rendering, Spenner is pretty much proving rendering 3D objects is easier in C4D than 3DSM yet 3DSM is better for modelling =p

A high res render is coming up it just take a age to render it.. I'll do my best to keep the qual up. Thanks to Spenner again for the enviroment tip xD Silly me.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
makdaddy
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to makdaddy

the wireframe is f**king gorgeous, excellent job
makdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdaddy View Post
the wireframe is f**king gorgeous, excellent job
Thank you =)
Old 09-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #15
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

There's really no "better" modelling program, it's just a matter of what you think works best for you. Modelling itself has little to do with the program, but with the creator's view and ingenuity. The program is just a tool to create the model.
I find Cinema4D best and easiest to work with, though I can work with maya too. 3DSM not so much, but I haven't messed around with that alot at all.

The model is not bad, but a few points bug me. It seems a bit blobby at some parts, like near the front wheel. And the heat thingies at the back (forgot what they're called lol) are pretty bleh. The seams of the heat thingy entrances are too tight, and should've been rounded off more if you get what I mean.
Where is the suspension? wheels and chassis are just floating right now lol.
I think it would've been better if you made the chassis in seperate parts, cause now it just seems like one giant whole (which it is right now) and doesn't resemble the veyron that much.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Also, cars have been done thousands of times. :P
Old 09-26-2009, 09:46 AM   #16
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.Spitfire._ View Post
There's really no "better" modelling program, it's just a matter of what you think works best for you. Modelling itself has little to do with the program, but with the creator's view and ingenuity. The program is just a tool to create the model.
I find Cinema4D best and easiest to work with, though I can work with maya too. 3DSM not so much, but I haven't messed around with that alot at all.

The model is not bad, but a few points bug me. It seems a bit blobby at some parts, like near the front wheel. And the heat thingies at the back (forgot what they're called lol) are pretty bleh. The seams of the heat thingy entrances are too tight, and should've been rounded off more if you get what I mean.
Where is the suspension? wheels and chassis are just floating right now lol.
I think it would've been better if you made the chassis in seperate parts, cause now it just seems like one giant whole (which it is right now) and doesn't resemble the veyron that much.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Also, cars have been done thousands of times. :P

I'll do the chev concept car next.. I liked to do this car since it looks so nice with textures and so on.

As for the air vents (xD) they're actually pretty good but they are for some reason reflecting the engine INSIDE the car, on the outer right wire. I don't know why and nothing I do will take it away.
The wireframe for the air vents are completely smooth with only three bezier corner (I've bent it) and the front is bevelled and duo colored. The engine has NOT been smoothed, keep that in mind :]

The wheels I'm pretty happy about, the tire it regular tube with mesh smooth (nothing tough there) since I'm trying to keep the polys under a million.

I've remodelled it from first wireframe, now it has a bottom, middle and shell, we'll see how that works out with enviroment reflection.

My biggest regret is that I didn't make it two piece, it's originally duo color but the side vents could have been SO much better if I only made the car in two pieces, perhaps even three with the roof.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #17
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I agree that all programs have some key features, but poly editing in 3DSM is -the- best modelling tool. Not that it really matters nowadays with all the sandboxing programs out there that can read any 3DS file but the ultimate freedom and the incredibly 'smart' connecting and point welding/creating is stunning...

Also I've rendered a ''blueray'' picture but I managed to hook the "two sided" on my car so there's millions of polys and the file is srsly bigger than all my saves combined I'll redo it xD
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
darkshark
Nothing.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to darkshark Send a message via MSN to darkshark Send a message via Yahoo to darkshark

Although 3ds max is great for modeling some things, when it comes to ANYTHING organic, I'm sorry but 3ds max just kinda fails at that. ZBrush is its rival when it comes to that sort of thing. Maya beats the hell out of 3ds max as far as animation goes, as well as rigging setups.

As far as your Veyron goes, its alright for a first try! need to reallllly work on accuracy though, take your time to get each line right. Its also really useful to work with the model while meshsmooth is ON after you have your very basic outline. There's an option in it's submenu to have the original vertexes selectable, yet still show the smoothing result, so you don't have to go back and forth all the time. By looking at your mesh I can tell you don't understand how meshsmooth subdivides, which is essential in knowing how each surface is going to smooth out by what amount.

Really work on your textures and LIGHTING especially, because that's the only thing in your scene I can see that is absolutely horrendous.

Last edited by darkshark; 09-26-2009 at 04:20 PM..
darkshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #19
Mythix
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshark View Post
Although 3ds max is great for modeling some things, when it comes to ANYTHING organic, I'm sorry but 3ds max just kinda fails at that. ZBrush is its rival when it comes to that sort of thing. Maya beats the hell out of 3ds max as far as animation goes, as well as rigging setups.

As far as your Veyron goes, its alright for a first try! need to reallllly work on accuracy though, take your time to get each line right. Its also really useful to work with the model while meshsmooth is ON after you have your very basic outline. There's an option in it's submenu to have the original vertexes selectable, yet still show the smoothing result, so you don't have to go back and forth all the time. By looking at your mesh I can tell you don't understand how meshsmooth subdivides, which is essential in knowing how each surface is going to smooth out by what amount.

Really work on your textures and LIGHTING especially, because that's the only thing in your scene I can see that is absolutely horrendous.
I used poly instead.

And yeah 3DSM is definitely best for material based complex objects, rigging and animating/physics in maya is so much easier it's actually laughable; the preset gravity in Maya is amazing.

I know about meshsmooth but I agree, I'm not completely sure how meshsmooth and turbosmooth divides up my object to smooth it, hence the scattered colors.
Also zbrush is mostly decal though, I can't see myself creating anything from scratch in zbrush or mudbox, just pimping it a billion times better and easier than I would in 3DSM for details as I said in another reply xD
Here are two new renders just for you DS:

Old 09-26-2009, 05:28 PM   #20
Brycexx
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to Brycexx

green to me by far looks the best.