Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
OnixRose
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Questions on Watercooling and Lighting

I'm looking into water cooling my rig because as of now it's quite loud albeit relatively well cooled on air. I know next to nothing about water cooling as I've never done it before, so this ITT I have a few general questions about water cooling and lighting as well.

Before I ask my questions I'll post a general overview of my specs for this build. I'm running an intel i7-980x on a gigabyte x58A-ud7 mobo with mushkin ridgeback DDR3-1600 ram (cas lat. of 6 ns), and an evga gtx 480 superclocked+ graphics card (back plate is well worth it for aesthetics imo). All stock speeds, I overclocked a little when I first got it but took everything down until I'm more comfortable with the process and temps.
For cooling I currently have two bottom 120mm intake fans, a front 140mm intake fan, a 140mm fan behind the hdd cage blowing air onto the graphics car, a 200mm fan on the side intake, a 120mm an on the top for exhaust, a 120mm fan behind an nh-d14, and the psu fan right above it. All of this is in a Thermal take armor+ VH6000

My first question is should I use a single loop? I would have my cpu, north bridge, and gpu all in the loop. Or should I use a dual loop in case I get another graphics card? In either case I'm not sure of the size of radiator I would need (thinking a triple for single loop and a triple and double for a dual loop). I know of all the basic parts but i have no idea of the specifics for each. No idea what kind of pump/s I would need, I have a few ideas on reservoirs, but no idea what to actually look for in them.

Secondly as of now my case mixes LED lighting and UV lighting, but I want to be able to make use of one or the other. What I mean is that, after I switch to water cooling, I plan to use UV tubes with some cords and reactive pigment, as well as UV reactive fans. I plan to use something similar to gelid wing case fans, as they're the only one's I've really been introduced to, but any recommendations would be great. However I would like to keep fans to a minimum, after all one of my main reasons for switching to water cooling is loudness.
But, I would also like to be able to light up my case using LEDs.
So would the best approach be to use a lot of cathodes and just turn them on when I want that kind of light and then turn them off to switch to a more UV dominate scheme. Are their fans with UV reactive blades that have LED controls of some sort or would I have to solder some stuff for it to work?

Some temp info:
idle gpu 44C @44% fan speed
While running unigen heaven v2.1 max settings
average 54C max 70C fan @59%

idle cpu high of 35C (need to change thermal compound)

I can give any other sort of info that would help out, and link more parts if necessary. I'll post pics if anyone wants as well.

1000% supporter of FFR character additions
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
FFR should implement a form of CAPTCHA that filters out not only spambots but also retards.

Last edited by OnixRose; 12-15-2010 at 08:50 PM..
OnixRose is offline   Reply With Quote