Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm
Default Your first simfile: How hard was it?

I'm asking you veteran simfile creators a fairly simple question: How hard was it for you to bang out your first file? There are a few other questions I'd like to see answered as well:

-What programs and/or tools would you recommend? Any tips for getting the most out of them?
-Is the song choice important? If so, in what regard?
-What words of encouragement would you like to share with fledgling steppers?
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: Your first simfile: How hard was it?

it wasnt very hard at all considering my first 12 or so files were all ctrl R files at the default 60 bpm haha.

use stepmania and ddreamstudios together. one to playtest(stepmania) and the other to step(ddream) though anything you can do in ddream you can do in stepmania somethings are easier to do in one and not the other.

as far as song choice goes step songs you like. nothing sucks more than stepping a song you dont enjoy.

dont be discouraged by what people tell you. if someone says your file sucks ask why. if someone says your file is good ask why. dont be afraid to try new things and most importantly have fun with it
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I actually just recently started stepping myself. I'm on my second file now, and It's coming along pretty well. My first one wasn't too bad, considering it was my first file, but obviously, it wasn't great.

I myself use Stepmania 4.0, only because my computer hates me and refused to download anything else. But judging from what I've heard from Niala and a few others, Stepmania 3.95 is your best option. I don't have it, but I would assume DDReam is pretty good too.

About halfway through making the chart, I realized, "Oh my god, I might have thousands of people (probably not), playing what I'm making right now. And some of them may even like it." And that feeling really get's you pumped and I sped through the rest of the file. I'm really happy I started stepping, and I hope you'll enjoy it too. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm
How hard was it for you to bang out your first file?
My first file was a DDR edit, and I just wanted to fiddle around with patterns to have fun, so I never even really thought of how hard it was. I'd say it was pretty easy in that regard then.

My first file that wasn't a DDR edit (i.e. a new song) was a bit harder because I had no clue how to do syncing, and the song I stepped was from a jazz group. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the attempt.

Back then, I didn't even know about FFR (this was before 2003).

Quote:
What programs and/or tools would you recommend? Any tips for getting the most out of them?
Stepmania.

But also syncing tools. For songs with static sync, download Mixmeister BPM Analyzer. (Long time ago, I used to have this program that would sync by tapping the space bar to the beat lol.) For songs with changing BPMs or "generally static" BPMs but with minor fluctuations (e.g. live performance), use DDReam Studio AND your common sense.

Using Mixmeister is pretty intuitive, so I don't need to explain things. For DDReam Studio however, ask people who know how to use it, or look up the tutorials on Youtube (such as wc's two-part tutorial). I can't understand the program just by staring at the text manual.

To get the most flexibility out of syncing, use both Mixmeister, DDReam, and Stepmania.

Quote:
Is the song choice important? If so, in what regard?
If you're going to show your file off to the public, then yes, song choice is important. Sometimes I like stepping a song that I enjoy listening to but it's not very steppable. I usually end up keeping those to myself. But try to find a song that's diverse in melody, instruments, structure, etc. And it's good to cut repetitive songs down to size using the programs mentioned above. Repetitive/boring songs can also be made more fun with gimmicks, such as BPM changes, "artistic" colored arrows, negative BPMs, etc.

Quote:
What words of encouragement would you like to share with fledgling steppers?
For the song: try to find something that you enjoy as well as something that is diverse to step.

For the steps: don't be afraid to consult for help from other steppers. They can help you on a more personal level.
Interpret the song as you like. Don't let someone's suggestions turn into their own vision for how the song should be stepped; just ask a lot of questions and then use whatever advice you find is sound.

Last edited by bmah; 05-31-2011 at 08:26 PM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Network Security Analyst
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR Send a message via MSN to PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
How hard was it for you to bang out your first file?
I'm fairly confident that only about 5 people have played my first file, it was not that good, and it took me a few days to make.
The first file that I released I edited a pad file that I really enjoyed and took one evening and then a few minutes with someone testing.
My first FFR file took about two weeks going back and forth between stepping styles before finding the one that just seemed right.

I've had files I've done in less than an hour, start to finish and files that I've spent months and even years on.

Quote:
-What programs and/or tools would you recommend? Any tips for getting the most out of them?
Stepmania

I never use just one program for BPM
---AutomixMP3 or something like that.
---Generic BPM programs

Take a look at some of the older guides to see how things have grown over the years. You will appreciate all of the improvements that have been made to make making files that much easier. This will also give you a good understanding of how and why we go through the processes that we do.

Take some time to look at files that you enjoy playing in the editor. Try and think through the steps that were taken to make that file and why you enjoy it so much. While I've never actually done this I can see how this could be very helpful to people trying to step their first file.

Quote:
If you don't enjoy the song, the chart probably won't be that good.

Though, it is possible to make a good chart from a song you don't like if you can just hear/see/feel it, if you don't understand this point you probably shouldn't be stepping for this type of song.

At the same time, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone when stepping, though when you're not in your comfort zone make sure to get some help/some criticism just to make sure that you're file isn't a total bust.

Quote:
Listen to any and all criticism you receive from people who have made a few more files than you in the community.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, though think about who is helping you and what they are good at/known for and how to take their criticism.

Don't step a chart that doesn't fit with the song, if you don't understand this point you probably shouldn't be stepping.

Don't feel the need to release your first file. If it's good, go ahead and move onto your next file, but don't be ashamed if your first few are not that good.

I'd suggest starting with simpler songs, with consistent bpms, almost just to get used to the editors and all of the different programs that you could be using to create a file.

Take your time. Under 99% of situations, there is no deadline for a file. Sure, you might want to get a submission into a pack or to try and make the queue, but you will get more respect for taking the time to make a good file instead of pushing out loads of mediocre/bad files. I've had files that I wouldn't touch for months simply because I didn't know how to go about the next section.

If it is your first file, try and collab with someone who has done a few already just to see how the whole process works. Hell, the more you collab, the more you will be exposed to and many different experiences which probably will help with a file of some sort in your future if you don't stick with only one style of stepping. This is something I'd really like to work more with...

If you aren't going to collab for your first file I'd suggest editing a pad file that you like. This is how I got started making "decent" files. I would not suggest re-stepping a keyboard file for your first attempt just because there would probably not be that much different between the two files, which shouldn't happen. in most cases, if you're editing a pad file.

Have fun with what you're doing. If you don't enjoy the song chances are that most other people won't like it either. Great example, Skeletor. I could play that file all day and I know there are probably quite a few people that can't stand that file.

EDIT:
If you're going to release a file, that isn't for FFR, take some time to get some good GFX. Sticking words on a poorly cropped MSPaint-job will usually have a poor effect on your file. Think of it like this, you just spent all of this time working on something that you are proud enough to release for the public, you should make sure that it looks appropriate. If you don't have a cd_title, ask for someone to help you make one. If you can't do GFX, find someone who can and work with them when they're making them. I can count numerous times that I've helped with GFX when I've been given a title and nothing else to go on and I created something that wasn't anything like what they were looking for. After working together we were able, on most occasions, to get something that fit really well for the song.

Remember the GFX are almost as memorable as the song and the steps, take some care when creating a file to include these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdarkness
I'm light f**king darkness

Last edited by PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR; 05-31-2011 at 09:05 PM..
PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
If it is your first file, try and collab with someone who has done a few already just to see how the whole process works. Hell, the more you collab, the more you will be exposed to and many different experiences which probably will help with a file of some sort in your future if you don't stick with only one style of stepping.
This is basically what I did on my first file. Though Niala didn't technically do any stepping, he consistantly gave me guidlines. Working with someone helps Drastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHoZeRoSk8eR
Great example, Skeletor. I could play that file all day and I know there are probably quite a few people that can't stand that file.
I'm one of them. I can't for the life of me enjoy songs like that (love the DnB though), I also personally can't stand gabba. It's just a nuisance to me.

EDIT: Speaking of Stepping songs, would someone be willing to take a look at mine? I'm around 1/2 way through it, and I'm in need of help with the BPM change and the offset. I was able to get it last time, but for some reason, I can't grasp it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.

Last edited by yo man im awesome; 05-31-2011 at 09:02 PM..
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
icontrolyourworld
Enjoy life!

Quote:
I'm asking you veteran simfile creators a fairly simple question: How hard was it for you to bang out your first file? There are a few other questions I'd like to see answered as well:

My first file was hard enough that I could AA it xD considering that was a long time ago I'd say it was pretty easy.
It wasn't hard for me to make it, since it was already synced and I just grabbed it off of the simfile db here, I can't remember what song it was though.

Currently I would recommend using Ddream to make simfiles, there's a tutorial for that here on ffr. Oh and mixmeister to find the bpm

Song choice for me is super important, more important than the file in fact. If someone picks a bad song often times I won't play it.

Lastly, don't care about what other people say about your files if they're negative comments, just make the file so that you enjoy it the most, certainly other people will like a file if you made it fun and you enjoy playing it.
icontrolyourworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
irishknight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

all i can say is:

it took for ****ing ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
megamon88
aka Assertive
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

My first file turned out pretty bad. I can't even remember what it was, but I definitely used ctrl + r.

I personally use a combination of sm-ssc, 3.95 and ddream if I need help syncing.

A good piece of advice is to look at what other enjoyable simfiles have in them. Find patterns that are easy to hit and don't feel awkward.

Just don't worry how your first file turns out. Even if it's a complete disaster, at least you'll improve for next time. :P
Old 05-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

My first file turned out okay because it had a sufficiently interesting main melody
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Very interesting thread for newcomers! I'll write this answer before reading what everybody else wrote. This should be interesting.

Quote:
-How hard was it for you to bang out your first file?
It was surprisingly easy (even though I didn't use ctrl-r... to this day, I have no clue what this is about). Don't get me wrong, if I could find it and play it, I'm pretty sure it would be flawed all over. However, getting everything in sync was easy because I had made a whole bunch of songs for Frets on Fire. By following the tutorials (MixMeister for BPM, etc), it was just a normal continuation from what I had done on FoF.

Sure, the game is not the same, but making files on Frets on Fire is easier because you don't have to care about the BPM at all, so you can experiment quickly without much frustration. After that, I managed to understand Pitch Relevancy and whatnot. I recommend any player thinking about stepping songs for FFR to try it out first on FoF. Even if the game is outdated, it'll be less frustrating as a first song.

Quote:
I definitely recommend DDReamstudio over the Stepmania editor. The only thing I prefer in SM is the fact that it feels better when you are testing your file. For everything else, DDReam is superior (BPM, layering, ghost arrows...). I had never heard of DDReam up until recently, and I would've never become a simfile author without it, I believe. SM is hard to use for newcomers, its BPM system is unforgiving. Use DDReam, ok? :P

I suggest clicking on my sig to access Patashu's guide for DDReam. It also features a video tutorial that helped me a lot using it for the first time. When you get familiar with it, DDReam becomes the most natural tool for stepping.

Quote:
For the first song, I'd say no. I mean, the first song I stepped for Frets on Fire was "He's a Pirate", if I remember correctly... This song has no guitar in it! My first SM song was "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" by Elton John.

Those songs weren't appropriate for their game, and yet, they taught me how to step. In order to learn, any song will do. Just pick one you like (like I did at the time) and it'll only motivate you to make it better.

However, this doesn't apply after you've established your stepping skills. When you can step a decent song, I believe song choice is the most important thing over any pattern, PR, color theory and so on. It's what's going to determine if the player has fun testing your chart.

Quote:
Do what you like and like what you do. It's as simple as that. If you like stepping and you're not good at it on your first try, only persevere. Nobody is meant to do it over anybody. We can all learn to step. Also, don't use SM, because BPM variations will prevent you from stepping songs you like (Most of the time, rock songs in particular, can't be stepped on SM)!

And PS, if you want somebody to help you out, I sure wouldn't have any problem being that person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Last edited by MarioNintendo; 06-27-2011 at 12:24 AM..
MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

My first four files were my own songs

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:39 PM   #13
emulord
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

My first one was this arab kid I know singing Let it be really terribly. I stepped it for the lulz, so it was like a ffr 2 or 3. I didn't ctrl-R. I actually modified the BPM and shit. It was sync'ed okay.
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #14
WTFBrandon
Shout out to Hades
FFR Veteran

My first file was default 60 bpm with 32ths not matching up with anything..
Angel of Death - Slayer

I even remember it...
It was so bad.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

My first one was actually a FGO-type song..

Eclipse (Luna) was the song, and it has lots of 32nd rolls, jacks, etc...

It used to be in the simfile database, but that's gone..

Maybe a 100 people played it?
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2011, 03:47 AM   #16
SKG_Scintill
Spun a twirly fruitcake,

It was a dump, so it wasn't difficult to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguerilla
So Sexy Robotnik (SKG_Scintill) {.0001/10} [--]
___
. RHYTHMS PR LAYERING
. ZOMG I HAD TO QUIT OUT TERRIBLE
SKG_Scintill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
ca25nada
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to ca25nada

Try it yourself

I remember just randomly guessing the bpm (not even touching the offset) then trying to sync it to the nearest 16th or 24ths and adding bpm changes and mines so it's more DDR-like.

I actually spent a decent amount of time on the file but it ended pretty bad anyway. Still found it fun to play it back then though.
ca25nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-1-2011, 03:57 PM   #18
sakura080789
Rapture Universe
FFR Veteran

my first file was Dies Irae the DM Ashura remix it came out horrible if you really want to see it here

Link: http://zenius-i-vanisher.com/v5.2/vi...simfileid=1841
Old 06-1-2011, 10:07 PM   #19
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

my first file was a pad/index hybrid and sucked massive penis because animu. this was in 2005

it took me 2 more years to make my first good file. I was a non-conformist and hated technical files, thus boycotting smgroove pack 2 and starting my own smgroove pack that ended up being the worst major release in stepmania history. the end.
Old 06-1-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
Charlo
FFR Player

My first file, if I recall correctly, was the Futurama theme song. I had already downloaded a file for it so I just copied it and created my own steps. The BPM was actually correct! The expert chart was just 16th note runs at 120 BPM since I needed to make it difficult somehow. My second file was Elanor Rigby by The Beatles, which actually involved finding the BPM. I did it all in notepad, I was so hardcore back then.

I make metal files for keyboard players! Check them out at:
Charlo is offline   Reply With Quote