View Single Post
Old 02-2-2018, 06:12 PM   #57
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Isn't it time we said goodbye to the non tool-assisted files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolgamer View Post
Don't keep them out of view. These files have special meaning to a lot of us, myself included.
Please take a moment to look at the greater picture here. Your personal nostalgia should not have bearing on the progression of FFR in terms of quality and functionality. If you wish to still play them, that should be something that will be accommodated, but they absolutely shouldn't be treated like normal content. Imagine being a newer player and finding this ancient unsynced garbage in the game's normal song list. How much more of this crap is there? Is this what passes for files on this site? Should I bother playing a rhythm game that won't even bother syncing stuff right?

We already have a legacy genre, but as it does little to truly separate the files away from content which is properly synced and scrutinized, it really isn't good enough. I like the alt engine dropdown decision Velocity has mentioned. This will give very easy access to the legacy files for players interested, but eliminate the chance of people accidentally confusing those archaic steps for normal releases. After all of the hard work that has gone into improving the judgement process and engines, I can't justify bogging that down by keeping this stuff around like it's of even a remotely similar caliber.

History should be preserved, but in a manner that doesn't make FFR's default set list look like a crock of crap, or entice people to play poor quality files to improve their stats.

The way staff appear to plan on handling this should have absolutely no bearing on your personal ability to enjoy the content in question. On the rare occasion that you personally decide to play FFR, I'm sure the extra 2 seconds it will take you to flip on the legacy files won't matter at all. I can't imagine where we'd be today if we let nostalgia trump progress and innovation at every turn.