View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #58
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles
Default Re: How often does anyone play this game anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
well gee who's fault is that
community that wanted to stay on older versions forever
Not sure if serious, but this would be pretty backwards if thats how you really felt, right?

Why do you think people stayed on old versions? Because of a lack of features that would make people want to upgrade. Just echoing what hi19 said - if you had given people community features people would be way more interested in upgrading.

Since I started playing the game zero effort has ever been made for online features. The effort that has been made has been some moderate effort (which died off recently) from the SMO team - but they're only doing what they can with a really weak text/command based online client. A couple themes have basic support for online features, but nothing that actually encourages online play.

And the thing is, its not even the current players that you should be caring that much about. Its new players - and attracting new players in 2010 or later requires a strong online client with good community features. The fact that its now well into 2016 and no effort has been made on this front is really unfortunate IMO. I saw a fair amount of flak on this from new players on r/stepmania shortly after the AGDQ showcase, and I know a lot of them gave up after seeing how archaic SMO was.

Look, if it wasn't the devs goal to make SM a popular, community driven VSRG, then so be it, totally their prerogative, because its not like they're getting paid for it. But you can't really expect to turn around and blame the community for it after the fact.
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote