View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Is it just me or are some of the "beginner" files lying to me?

Does no one here actually use my stickied thread, which I've spent hours/days compiling and frequently editing? smh fam

Look for packs with a blue star (★) next to it. These have several files with multiple charted difficulties for beginners and players that aren't quite as adept in skill. Packs with three blue stars (★★★) are highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnChap View Post
This brings me to my point... many of the beginner and easy files are very slow, but filled with notes that just mess with my head. There are many files that are truly easy though, so there are some songs I can play.
So am I just so bad or are some of the songs just judged by some supergod and thought it was beginner-level stuff?
I think I understand the issue in which you're experiencing, and it all comes down to how people in the past used to create "edit" difficulties which were basically harder versions of the main heavy and/or challenge charts.

Many people would glance/scroll past a file without even realizing this edit difficulty existed since StepMania 3.9 and 3.95 do an absolute terrible job displaying it in the default theme. There was also the fact that both StepMania 3.9 and 3.9 had issues with correctly loading edit difficulties, with the former having to load the edit difficulty at least once in order for it to save into the cache, and the latter with editing charts with the in-game editor. As a sort of workaround solution, people started changing and labeling the harder "edit" difficulty to "beginner", since the vast majority of simfiles at the time only had 1 or 2 charted difficulties on either heavy or challenge (e.g. Toph's The A La Menthe, dondon's Scarlet in the Dream, etc.). Frankly, it was a shitty and outdated workaround solution to the edit difficulty thing, but it was a trend that quickly caught on in the past—this isn't done very often in present day.

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote