View Single Post
Old 01-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #7
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: 2015 January/February Set 4

Quite a great song. It's stepped rather well taking into account instrument sound & pitch. Absolutely love the solo section. I think the quads might be a bit overexaggerated, some toning down might not hurt, but otherwise pretty alright file. Some things to point out:

Feels like you're missing a 16th recolored blue note right here after this 48bpm [12] blue note. Might be mishearing on that, but I feel like a 16th would really help there. (Isolation Start 603)

Feels like the 32nds that are located near the beginning of the file are longer than they actually are and start earlier than the notes that are placed there. However, I'm perfectly fine with how they are right now.

Overall
I say 7.5/10, as a pass. there's one 16th & 32nd section in the song that's quite harder than the rest of the song given its pacing, but it's stepped correctly and it's a short song, so I'll let it slide under that. Plus, the solo section deserves a ton of credit.

A lot of this song is very hand biased on the left hand. And while I understand the concept that it was being driven towards (the song is loud, and it's intended to add depth), it's like this for the entire song, and that turns me off imo.

by the way the 2nd [34] jump here isn't necessary. Nothing goes to it.

starting at m100, the layering becomes a bit more dense, but the issue is that only some of the notes pertain to the pitch relevance that is being followed. Feels like there is some sacrifice against pitch relevance here in favor of the hand bias mentioned earlier, and again, it just doesn't feel like that type of faoritism is worth it.

Overall
I would give it a 6/10, with reject. While some hand bias probably would work very well for this song given it's a hard beat, maintaining it to one hand for the duration of the file seems kind of unnecessary, and a lot more mixing up between said left note bias and freeform for solos & transitions would make it a lot better. Also, try to structure pitch relevance outside of the hand bias at crucial parts such as transitions between measures, and it will probably flow a lot better. This way, you can maintain the best of both worlds.

ok, there's a lot going on in this that I'd really not want to talk about, but to sum it up, there's a lot of missing jumps where there should be jumps, a lot of jumps where there shouldn't be jumps for the sake of maintaining the balance of what was done in other sections of the song, and the pitch relevance for notes is generally being followed, but not for parts where they're really required to make a file shine, such as the intro to the file.

I think there might also be some notes that are desynced in there as well (a 16th would suffice better, but a 12th is used instead). A couple of parts within the song, especially considering the 12th section switches between lyrics and bass unexpectedly, and then during the bass section, steps trills & stream, and the very next section steps jacks with the same audible sounds. Mixing up the skill measures apart for something that sounds similar is ok, but it needs to be justified, and there's no noticable drum or addition to instruments here that justifies jacks instead imo.

Overall
4/10, reject. Notes delivered for the file are really messy, and it would take a lot more than conditional to fix the file up. It goes in and out of skill sets that aren't justified to change when it's supposed to be getting the same stuff, and the focus of what is being stepped sometimes abruptly changes within these same areas.

Relatively boring. The song choice was good, but it was just anchor after anchor after anchor patterns, and offered no real mixing of the formula or changing it about except for some small 16th transitions between sections. Also, the anchor placement is almost seemingly random in my opinion. Same with the jump placement nearing the end of the file. It feels almost somewhat random what jump is going to come up next. The note placement is correct, but it feels like one giant ball of random.

Overall
5.5/10, reject. I feel like anchor patterns could definitely work for this song don't get me wrong on dissing the anchor patterns. But, I have very mixed feelings about the anchor switching locations every 1/4th of a measure in a large amount of locations. There's also a couple of areas where pitch relevance would have helped the placement of the jumps and create this into a solid chart, but with the amount of jumps that are seemingly random, along with the anchors also being seemingly random, it might as well be overhauled if it was going to be fixed.

Doesn't feel like there's any sort of pitch relevance to go with the chart where given the song, it would excel if it had it.

Also, the overall feel for the song and the file together feels like a dimrain file pre-2007 meets vertex beta. It's lacking a lot of uniqueness in the file, and it's almost like instead of stepping the file as is, it was separated into sections that are bulky and contain certain patterns only within said sections (hence that dimrain meets vertex beta feel).

The slow jumptrill and just jumps in general section is rather boring. Considering the aforementioned pitch relevance absence, the jumps do not go to the music all that well, and the repetition of miniature jumptrills starts to become stale really fast.

Overall
Would rate the file a reject with 4/10, somewhere around there. While the file does not have any missing notes, it doesn't present them in the best fashion, and there is some excluded 16ths in the song that would definitely spice up the file instead of repeating jumpgluts and 8th jumpstream. Also, there is a desync issue throughout the entire file. Not sure if it's the engine's fault, or if it's the song's fault, but the current rating doesn't reflect that.

- Tosh 2014