View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #2
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger
Default Re: 2015 January/February Set 2

Song is missing about half of its notes, and is incomplete. Not sure if it's an error with the submission, or an error with hosting the song on the engine, but if neither is the case, than this is a pretty clear reject unless there was a 2nd file of the same name uploaded after this one somewhere.

God damn, this song is flawless. Like, I demand someone to find a problem with this file besides criticize the extremely fast [12][34][12][34] trills. It's practically Grocery Escape Plan on steroids, and if I'm not mistaken, the song is done by the same band, so this kind of overexaggeration on note placement works well with the tone of the song.

Don't believe me? Play it for yourself, I would definitely give it an 8 - 9/10, I can't really provide any good criticism other than doing this kind of stuff is really evil

oh, and this part made me laugh.

There is quite a huge jump in difficulty in the middle of the song due to jump jacks to hands.
This stuff was alright:

but the extended jumpjack section was a killer on the hands, not to mention a tad hand biased imo:

Some people might weigh the score down on the song just because of that one section, but the rest of the song works pretty well.
- from m32 to m35, there is an absence of jumps. I get the reason why there aren't any, but I think it would be better if the 12th 2-tap jump rhythm was incorporated in there, similar with what was done at m22 - m23.
- This looks like difficulty filler right before the ending rolls. Considering the patterns before it, a [13][24][13][24]etc., pattern might suffice better.

Overall
I would conditional queue it. However, if judge majority approved of it I wouldn't hesitate to approve it as well mostly because it's outside of my skill gap. I'm terrible at jacks, and you bet the song should probably be weighted in that favor since they are pretty fast jacks, all 180bpm of it.

How long is this song? This is by far longer than any song I think I've played on FFR besides The Games We Played full version. It feels like a full opera act, this song. nevertheless, complaining about the song aside, the song isn't all that difficult, but very long. 2800 notes in what feels like 10+ minutes, at the difficulty of what I could maybe pace at a 60 - 65 range because of its length.

- Feels like stepper may have forgotten/misheard drums here, as all the previous sections had drums in them and I had no idea what the 64th accents here were going to.

- Just a little note, that this is a really long file, and it is generally geared towards non d4-d7 players, so it might be a little bit boring. Not sure if that's worth taking into consideration or not.
Besides those 2 points, there isn't much to really nitpick at. It's slow, it's long, it's got 2800 notes.

Overall
I don't know what I would do with this file. Part of me says to reject it because it may be too boring/empty in terms of steps, the other part of me says it's fine because the song is stepped half decently and I haven't much to nitpick at. If others feel the same with me on this that it's just a bit too boring, then yeah. That's where I'm gonna stand on it.

Ok, so. There are a lot of patterns in this song involving 32nds & 16th jumps (especially near the end of the song) that would consider dump-like, and don't follow anywhere near the difficulty for the rest of the song. Couple of examples are listed below:

- You have an accidental jack right here, it's the only spot like this in the song.

- This type of minitrill coming out of 32nds at 200bpm is really difficult to hit. Would recommend changing it to something more friendlier to PA.

Overall
I think the stepfile was working out pretty well for itself for the first 66 measures with some minor issues that could have easily been fixed if the file were in a conditional, but at m67 it just feels like the file was given up on, and any instance of 32nd notes was dumped. It's very hard, if not impossible for players to PA a 32nd trill @ 200bpm, so it's getting a reject from me.

- Tosh 2014