View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #19
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Procrastination and getting out of it

Procrastination is weird because it depends on the situation.

I don't play Stepmania/FFR much now, and that is my main interest in terms of entertainment. Other people have a much bigger issue when they play something like League of Legends, where each game can take 20+ minutes. Since I haven't seen much improvement on spread over the years, I've stuck to some pad stepping and index to playtest/pass stuff. However there's a certain addiction I have that's very difficult to control, and I seriously doubt I could ever stop it. I talked to Byron and it turns out he had a similar issue back in the day, he just didn't take it to the extent of blood stains like I do.

Personal issues and depression can play an important part. Before classes started this semester I released quite possibly the most amount of anger I have ever released externally. I'm able to focus and keep track of my classes, but I have to recover from the anger; it keeps coming back.

For my experience with procrastination, many times it's when large assignments are given. A long reading assignment along with small text to read makes me incredibly livid, holy fuck -- back in high school I always wanted to take a shortcut whenever it came to reading stuff. Not understanding something in a big assignment is also rage-incuding. If you're assigned a group to work on a project, communication issues are by far the most important part. Just yesterday my group didn't contact me with any updates until a few hours before the class I had to present with them, so I wound up getting most of the ideas when I had trouble myself.

What I'd say is: go to class even if attendance isn't counted. Ask the teacher questions as soon as possible (office hours are good for this too), even though this isn't possible a lot of the time when assignments are due right after they're assigned. LOOK AT THE SYLLABUS FOR YOUR CLASSES. In my case, my teachers have listed what sections are going to be covered and what readings are going to be done. Getting ahead greatly reduces procrastination, and I've been making it a habit now to get my shit done ASAP. Even then, it's hard to keep up when you want to be involved in other activities.

tl;dr for me procrastination is a personal issue that stems from a lot of anger.

Last edited by DossarLX ODI; 01-31-2013 at 01:27 PM..
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote