View Single Post
Old 10-4-2012, 09:23 PM   #54
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: What degree do you have or are pursuing in College?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Maybe it's just me, but honestly, even at the Ivy League level, I felt like higher education is such an overpriced scam (that is perhaps too strong a word, but I do think in many ways it can be defended).

If it's knowledge you want, the internet is wide open. Private tutors are cheaper, too.

Ultimately, though, we want to learn from those who can teach good material effectively and help us learn. Sadly, even at expensive schools, the price tag does not ensure this. If it's problemsolving ability you want, you don't need a huge education to get it. Simply going through all the problems on Project Euler taught me a shitload about programming/mathematical insights (obviously this is just one example but my point is that sometimes higher education institutions are simply not necessary in various contexts).

Almost everything I learned at school could have been learned online, and I think this also applies for many other subjects, too. No doubt in my mind that the current education system will eventually become outmoded.

I can use myself as an example.

I've learned more working in kitchens from various chefs than I ever would have sitting years in a classroom. That's normal because cooking is hands-on and no textbook could prepare you for the rush of supper service. The best way to learn anything is to actually do it. You hear, you forget. You read, you remember. You do, you understand. Simple.

I don't have the qualifications necessary for my current job. I technically need a red seal which is obtained through 5000 hours in a kitchen and various block tests and extra studying blah blah. I got hired anyways because I could work. I learned everything I needed to within two weeks and that was it. I really didn't need to know all this extra fancy shit about cooking, I just needed to learn their menu and work from there. I'm not discrediting education, but it's silly that someone who studied years has half the work ethics of someone who didn't study and has been working a while. I think employers should hire based on individual performance (not for all professions obviously).