View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #53
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Default Re: IRL vs. Online personalities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
@binary fission: I'm a nicer person in person not just because I'm held accountable then and there, but I also perceive that people will take things less personally online in a forum setting.
Also, how many times have you had an fight IRL and then the next day feel badly about how you reacted and think, hey, maybe the other person had a point? Real-time interactions are just absolutely horrible for making someone take a step back and think logically about something, including myself. My own experience is that I can be a lot more cool-headed online so that accountability isn't as much of an issue because of it. Maybe I erroneously think other people are the same way too.
I can see your point, which is why, like you, I try to act in a responsible way online. Though in my case, I have no problem calling a person out and making them look like an ignorant jackass if they are completely wrong about something, though that's probably because I am a fierce debater by nature. Online I am little different - I calmly and maturely debate my points but I will not hesitate to call you out if you are wrong. Of course, the emotional aspect is important (as you note), when you see a person IRL and you see them as more than just a bunch of text, the emotional aspect of it does become more important because you associate a human face with it rather than whatever caricature you envision in your own mind.

By the way, it's Bynary Fission, not Binary. :P

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote