View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #49
Bynary Fission
Retired One-Hander
FFR Veteran

Default Re: IRL vs. Online personalities

I've always seen one's online personality as a truer measurement of their character. When I was a lot younger, I heard a saying that really stayed with me: "A person's character is not measured by what they do around others, but what they do when no one is looking". That is such a powerful statement, and it's one I've adhered to my whole life. I treat people respectfully and courteously on the Internet (for the most part anyways hehe, even I'm not perfect about that), because it is an extension of myself in real life. Think about it: if you can't conduct yourself properly when shrouded in anonymity, what does that say about yourself as a whole? People rarely say and act the way they do IRL than they do on the internet, because they are held accountable for their actions when they are in the presence of others. But if you act courteous and respectfully even when you can get away with acting like a dick, that is a much more profound statement about what you are really like - in other words, what you do when nobody else is looking.

That said, my online persona is much more reserved than myself in real life. I don't post often here (I've been here 4 1/2 years and much of the community still doesn't know who I am) and I tend to be quiet and soft-spoken about many issues. For the few of you who have met me in real life (kommisar, dAnceguy117, sticklydude), I am much more gregarious and outspoken face-to-face, which is somewhat unusual since usually it seems to be the other way around haha. It's kind of strange that I am so shy on the internet, really. :X

https://soundcloud.com/bynary-fission/tell-us-who-you-are-battle-tower-royale-character-creation-screen

Last edited by Bynary Fission; 06-18-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Bynary Fission is offline   Reply With Quote