View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
PlayTrumpet
Lamingtons.
FFR Veteran

Default Re: my keyboard reviews

Any debate on Mechanical Keyboards vs Membrane or Scissor Switches?

My notion is that people find mechanical keyboards less suited for rhythm games in particular because of their higher travel distance (usually 4mm vs 2mm on scissor switch boards). This mostly applies to Cherry MX switches; I know less input about alps and buckling switches though I suppose the issue with those could be in fast, repeated keystrokes.

However, travel distance (as well as tactility in non-linear switches like Cherry MX Browns, Blues, etc) can be reduced with things like o-ring dampeners and landing pads. With a ghetto mod I made from o-rings and staples (don't ask unless you're really interested..) I was able to reduce the travel distance of my Cherry MX Browns basically to that of a scissor switch, yet retaining an overall much higher durability (spring vs rubber dome).

I put mechanical keyboards into the mix because I really know how to wear out a scissor switch or membrane switch. On my laptop right now I've managed to rip one of the rubber domes and dislocate another because of excessive typing and rhythm gaming. Though I won't count out good rubber dome and scissor switch boards because some of them really do last and work great for gaming.