-
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: my keyboard reviews

I thought I'd write a few myself

Logitech Ultra X Premium
Price estimate: $20~30 (?)

Formfactor: Flat keyboard, full size
Connector types: PS/2 and USB models are available

Review: This was a rather renowned keyboard back then in the SM community. I'm not sure if these are still available, probably with Amazon or try newegg. I don't know how it compares with the Logitech Illuminated in terms of feel and tactility but I'd say they should be similar

Build quality is great. The body is molded in hard black plastic with a thick silver paint coating over the rest of it. After a year or two of use the paint will slowly fade off, but is still pretty acceptable. The top black strip is gloss black plastic with 6 media keys for useful access (volume control is really useful on a keyboard IMO). It is pretty sturdy; holding it in your hand and flexing it shows minimal bending

Underside of the keyboard has some rubber feet to keep it from sliding, however grip isn't great. I personally bought some rubber mats and stuck them onto the bottom. There are two keyboard feet that pop out to raise the inclination, but I wouldn't recommend doing that and just keeping the keyboard flat on the table for stability.

Anti-Ghosting on this keyboard is good, compared to nightmare stories of the Logitech Illuminated. This keyboard would easily support any practical 4key combination horizontal-wise on the keyboard (e.g. ASKL, QWOP, QWNM, ZXCV,etc.). The USB specification model supports up to 6keys in the same fashion without issue, while the PS/2 version (should) support even more configurations, up to at least 8 keys held down which is useful for other rhythm games

The keys themselves are of traditional form factor, where keys are packed adjacent to each other. The traditional, squarish form with the grade of plastic used gives the keycaps a very sturdy build, with no flexing when you hold down the keys hard. Don't expect keys to break in half; they won't. In comparison, most newer keyboards found on e.g. laptops have "island keys", where each key are spaced out and seperate from each other, and usually rounded off at the corners (see: Apple Macbook Pro Keyboards). These keyboards usually tend to have keycaps of poorer durability and are made of softer grade plastic

Most importantly, How does it feel? Comparatively with other flat keyboards, the keystrokes are firm. It might be a little stiff, but you are -sure- that a key is pressed when you press it properly, giving it good responsive feedback. This gives good response for accuracy; its decent for MAing files on Stepmania and definitely PA for FFR. It makes it easier to control on tricky patterns; the firmness of the keys ensure that you don't accidently mash random keys. This also gives good response of jacks albeit at the cost of being a little stiffer than some other KBs, but in practice isn't really a huge thing. It probably means that when playing really fast files you might lose stamina and tire out faster than some other models

When you press a key, there is a notable key-travel distance too which further confirms the response that you -know- when you pressed a key down properly. After about two years of using, the feel of the keys are still about the same so I'd say there shouldn't be a break-in period for use.

My guess would that tactility wise, the keyboard would feel similar to a Logitech Illuminated

The keys are of scissor-lift build mostly present on older laptops and high-end flat keyboards, giving the keys better stability and feel. They help in ensuring the flat keys do not wobble around much, given the thinness.
Picture of a scissor lift key

Caps/Scroll/Numlock are in green LEDs if that matters

Conclusion? If you are looking for a no-nonsense design keyboard with the keystroke feel characteristics above, and for the price point, this keyboard would be a good choice. In short; good for MA, firm and sure keypresses but ever so *slightly* stiffer than comparable models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
people age at a rate of about 1 year per year

Last edited by LongGone; 02-22-2012 at 10:12 PM..
LongGone is offline   Reply With Quote