View Single Post
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #69
Chariot
FFR Player

Default Re: So let's talk about QED stepfiles. (Let's talk about StepMania actually.)

Awesome, thanks for that thorough response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain_Iwakura View Post
when you act like a douchebag to anyone who gives criticism, this is where QED has a problem.
Okay, this I totally agree with (of course). I guess I took your initial point very literally in that he actually needed to put the criticism to use. But what's really important is that he's able to accept the criticism and move on, even if he's not going to use it. I totally agree with that.

Quote:
when QED advertises his simfiles and brings even one person into believing his simfiles are good, it takes away from all other established simfile authors.
I'm not quite sure what this one is all about. Established stepfile artists are just people who are known amongst some sort of majority in the community for making good stepfiles. They will still be known for making good files, no matter how many people put quads to silent WAV files and get praised for it, or put one green arrow every 30 seconds to a screamo song and get praised for it. If QED is praised for his stepfiles, it simply means someone likes them.

Quote:
I believe the only reason people restep files that already were really good are merely being attention whores.
You mean this is the reason people restep them, or this is the reason people release them? Either way, I also don't see the problem here. Stepmania is not like FFR, where there's a panel of judges, a record of scores and a set of achievements based on accomplishing different things. Stepmania is totally open-ended, and has no official "this is the level for this song" type of judgment found in games like Rock Band, or FFR, or any rhythm game released with some kind of structure. Anybody can step anything any number of times, and that's the beauty of it.

And anyway, an accepted stepfile for a song is probably a repeat of a stepfile that was perhaps better than it, but that particular stepfile just didn't get a lot of attention and went under the radar. Many of the files you'd defend as the "files that were already really good" for a particular song could in fact be files that are repeats themselves, so I'm not quite sure I understand the background behind this argument either. There are tens of thousands of songs on Stepmania.com; ignore the ones you don't have interest in.

Quote:
If you don't like how the simfiles in FFR are made today, don't play them and don't play FFR.
Oh, I quite enjoy some of the files released in FFR's recent time. Big Blue was an example of something I didn't like, but it wasn't meant to say that I dislike all files released in today's time. I apologize if the comment came off that way; the comment was made to create a stark contrast to how much I like Hellbeat, which is a really old (and honestly, pretty "bad") stepfile. But without a doubt, there are fun files still released today. I wouldn't be here if there weren't, because then I wouldn't be much more than a troll :)

Quote:
QED puts random arrows that have no relation to any sound played in the song whatsoever. Does he need to consider getting some advice on the basics? He doesn't seem to want to listen since all criticism is ignored with a harsh attitude. Just because someone has a large following doesn't make them good.
Well, I suppose this is the part where I'm obligated to say "define good". From what you've described, I wouldn't like his files very much, but if some people do, then good for them, and good for him. But going back to the original issue, it's when somebody like QED presents his style as perfect and correct and so violently repels any sort of criticism that the real problem arises. I agree with what you said in the beginning; he should be able to take criticism, whether he tends to apply it or not.

Last edited by Chariot; 04-28-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote