View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: So let's talk about QED stepfiles. (Let's talk about StepMania actually.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I have an idea. Why not try an interesting experiment: A sort of community-created simfile. Everyone decides on a file, and then the song itself is split up into portions and people vote/debate on how the steps should fit for the sake of maximizing fun. Other new ideas can be proposed in terms of background animations, etc.
A while ago I was thinking of making a little minipack by choosing some interesting and complicated songs, and then having people vote and work together to make the most fun and interesting file possible (while going to the music of course). I ended up not bothering though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrxero64 View Post
An anonymous submission pack. Every file is going to be anonymously submitted, no one will know you stepped it.
That's an interesting idea too, but then you'd get files from people like me.

I don't really like the current brand of technical file so much either; that's why when I open up SM I spend much more time playing dumps. I think going to the song at some level is an *essential* part of what makes a chart good, but if you try to put too much into a file it just becomes awkward and annoying to play. Look at some of Xandertrax's harder files, where he tried to go to the song as much as possible. Look at most xoon type charts. Minifreezes, hands all over the place, jacks for no obvious reason, stupid bursts, totally overcharted jumpstream sections, all those problems are the same.

If we want more people in the community, we need more good easy files. It's really as simple as that - people like to play files at the difficulties they are comfortable with, so if left to their own devices the good players will make files that most people have no chance of passing. A good easy file should be (a) roughly onbeat and related to the song, and (b) not so easy that it's boring. Other than that, there's really nothing objective you can say. And if the new players want to play files specifically because they like the song, so be it. QED has the right idea, although he totally fails in attitude.

Last edited by qqwref; 04-27-2011 at 02:36 PM..
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote