View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
sakura080789
Rapture Universe
FFR Veteran

Default Re: So let's talk about QED stepfiles. (Let's talk about StepMania actually.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
Files have become shittier over the years. I don't care about music theory BS or how well your steps match the crescendo of the seventh key in FU minor. They all suck. One of the reasons I quit playing keyboard rhythm games was (aside from hand damage) that the files have just turned into shit. Too many awkward patterns and overcomplicated crapgluts.

It reminds me a lot of the food industry, actually. If you go to high-end restaurants in NYC or in Europe, the craze now is centered around molecular gastronomy and bringing meals to the next level. Unfortunately, this usually results in things like... flavored foam and liquid nitrogen. Yes, it may be technically cool. Yes, it may be advanced compared to what your grandma made. Yes, it may be the nexus of the pinnacle of the apex of the synergy between the cultural revolutionary BSitudinal dialectic and the social commentary on the progression of technological application all wrapped together and presented in one huge ego-stroking orgasm. But at the end of the day, son of a bitch I just want my ****ing steak and potatoes.

When you get good at something, it can become boring. Eventually you have to make things challenging for yourself by playing like Madmatt, who keeps himself busy by vibrate-raping the pad brackets in order to match the speeds of some 9001 BPM fuckstream because anything slower is a guaranteed 98%+.

But that doesn't mean you have to keep making your files more and more ridiculous. Even an easy file can be fun. It eventually starts to become a community where anything easy is bashed and anything challenging is lauded. It drives people away until the community basically rests on a few elitist assholes, and then when they start leaving too, it's all dead.

In other words, people need to be OK with making easier files. You need to be OK with stepping a file because the song is cool and the steps are fun. We need creativity -- which is what made DDR/Stepmania fun over the years -- and not monotonous, braindead, algorithmic application of steps.
^this oh snap Reincarnate you read my mind. i am not gonna lie there are new style charts i enjoy but alot of my SM time is playing old KBC, F4/F5, even the Long Versions Packs those i enjoyed. but like the LCMP and DCMP i also like there are certain patterns that make the files quite epic im not really gonna dump on the new style of charting but i have grown to like quite a few of the new charts and simfile creators. i think it would be nice to take a step back in time to make a few packs of old school stepcharts though it would be fun for the new players as well as the veterans who enjoy the old charts