View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari
Default Re: So let's talk about QED stepfiles. (Let's talk about StepMania actually.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnick View Post
I just think that whole fun factor seems like it's just been totally alienated from the game, at this moment in time at least, because there's so many terminology and styles and just things that we've found out how to do with simfiles now that it seems like it's totally detracted from main reason we started playing this game in the first place, to experience the songs we enjoyed listening to on this different plane.
My thoughts exactly. I remember playing files from packs like F4, KBC, where they were just streams of all kinds, and nowadays, we have rainbow theory, hands and whatnot. People nowadays care more about being technical (e.g. Making the "perfect" simfile) than making something fun, enjoyable to play. I think that's what is missing to bring new people to our community: Fun. If you make a simfile, probably a judge will say "measure XX, you missed a note, and measure YY, that jump is unnecessary, I'm rejecting your file", and maybe they don't care if the file is actually fun to play. About song choice, anime files are more popular because animes themselves are popular, but I don't think that's the main reason why people play them more than keyboard files, for example. They may think that anime files are better than keyboard files for not being so hard sometimes, I don't know. I used to play anime packs, and they're easy, but as I got better, I searched for more difficult stuff, and people who I could play with, and there's where the "Welcome" factor shows up. If newcomers feel welcome with their scores, then our community will be popular again.

TL;DR: Let's go back in time a little and step streamy things again, and praise newcomers like we praise experienced players.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by who_cares973 View Post
Technicality>fun factor
Oh, a game is supposed to be technical before fun? That's interesting, Carlos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist

Last edited by Shikari; 04-27-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote